Sony Blocks Hacked PS3s From PSN

Retosa

Jul 10, 2010
Honestly, this isn't going to last. First of all, all it takes is creating an algorithm that generates the same responses as the new firmware when pinged by the PSN servers. They've got the part of the firmware that generates the response to the pings, all they need is to figure out what signals come in that generate what signals going out. Literally, all you'd have to do is have your PC 'imitate' the PSN and send signals to a PS3 with the real firmware, and have it record responses to everything sent, and have the program recording generate an algorithm that would create the proper responses to the proper input signals. It's like brute force cracking a password, it takes time, and patience, but with enough data and the code, a fix will be made.

As for testing it, make a couple fake PS3 accounts, try them out, and spoof your MAC address (for added protection, have your router run your connection through a proxy), and everything's nice and protected. Sony is fighting a losing battle. And you know what? I'm happy.

I haven't modded my PS3. But I hate the idea of LICENSING my PS3. I want to own the damn thing if I'm paying for it, not license it. And I hate the idea of someone else having control over what I can and can not do to stuff that I should OWN. Intellectual Property has gone too far and is absolutely ridiculous. It's controlling and ONLY benefits corporations who can afford the proper lawyers to keep people in line. A lot of people involved in this are doing it as much to fight the system, as to get extra functionality on their system, or even pirate.

Just because the hacks CAN be used to pirate, doesn't mean that's the MAIN reason for them. There are LOTS of reasons why people hack. Ninety percent of hackers do it for the challenge and status, and those are the good ones who actually get shit done. People have said it here, and it makes sense. It's more effort to actually spend the time working on hacking the system than it's worth to just avoid paying for a handful of games. Imagine how many man hours and how much time must've gone into hacking the PS3. Then think of how many games you could've played in those hours. How much overtime you could've gotten for working those hours, and putting that $$$ into games.

You won't stop the hackers, because they're after the challenge, rather than the 'free games' and the 'piracy'. They want to be able to open the system up so they can play with everything that they can involving it, fiddle with the system and the OS, and everything involving it. This leaves it open to the pirates to do their thing, yes.

The fight is lost, the end is neigh. Weep.

Arkitext

Mar 25, 2008
Logan Westbrook said:
Sony Blocks Hacked PS3s From PSN

Having your cake and eating it - also known as hacking your PS3 and still going online - has suddenly gotten very expensive.

Hackers are a resourceful bunch, and despite Sony's best efforts to stop them, they've still found ways to connect to PSN, even with jailbroken consoles. But now it seems that those halcyon days are over, as Sony has patched the holes in its fence that were allowing hackers to get in.

This isn't the same thing as Microsoft's annual sweep [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/96037-Microsoft-Bans-up-to-One-Million-Xbox-Live-Accounts] for modded Xbox 360s, as Sony doesn't seem to be blacklisting consoles. Instead, it appears that Sony has fixed the exploits that were allowing owners of hacked and jailbroken PS3s to use PSN. There were apparently two main methods of getting online with a hacked console. The first method involved manually changing the domain name server settings on the PS3 and routing authentication requests through a web server with a hacked verification file. The second method was similar, but diverted the requests to a proxy server via a PC instead.

Sony seems to have been able to render both methods ineffective. PS3 hacking forums are suggesting that people with jailbroken consoles do one of three things: buy a second PS3 and use it for going online, get rid of the hacks and update to the latest firmware, or wait it out and hope that someone comes up with another way of getting online. None of them is an ideal solution, obviously, but that's the risk you take - or one of the risks, at least - when you jailbreak your PS3.

Source: Game Politics [http://www.gamepolitics.com/2011/02/09/sony-blocks-hacked-ps3s-psn]

Hahahaha.

VirusHunter

Nov 19, 2009
I did some more reading on the subject and apparently this isn't the first time it's happened with the technique these people use to access PSN. They've fixed it before, it's only a matter of time til they fix it again.