Sony Boss Talks Down Handheld 3D

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Sony Boss Talks Down Handheld 3D

Sony Computer Entertainment [http://www.scei.co.jp/index_e.html] CEO Kaz Hirai says the 3D technology at work in current handheld gaming devices suffers from too many limitations and that Sony is more interested in "getting it right" than simply being first.

The advent of the third dimension has added an interesting twist to the console wars. 3D could be a big weapon in the race to avoid losing but each of the three console manufacturers has taken an entirely different approach to it. Sony has hitched its wagon to the new generation of bunch of crap [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/conferences/e32010/7712-Liveblog-Sony-2010-Press-Conference-E3]. Such divergent approaches can only mean one thing: It's time to start trash-talking the competition.

"Based off internally conducted research, naked-eye 3D for portables does not have high precision, and at present there are limitations," Hirai told Japanese publication Sankei Biz (via Andriasang [http://www.andriasang.com/e/blog/2010/06/20/hirai_downplays_3ds/]), although he avoided mentioning Nintendo's new handheld 3DS by name.

He made similar comments in an interview with the Financial Times [http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/6dafe706-7b39-11df-8935-00144feabdc0.html], suggesting that Sony is in no rush to come up with a 3D handheld of its own. "We want to make sure we get it right as opposed to being there first and - with portables - there's still a lot of tweaking that needs to happen from a research and development perspective," he said. "We've looked at a lot of the current technologies available and all of them have an issue of perception where you have to hold the console in exactly the right place to get the 3D effect and it's a bit of a challenge to maintain that 3D experience."

True that may be, but the 3DS nonetheless made a big splash at E3 last week, with one attendee saying it could very well be "the future of handhelds [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/101379-E3-2010-Hands-on-With-the-Nintendo-3DS], if not 3D gaming as a whole." That's pretty high praise, and as the PlayStation 3 itself proved, having the best technology isn't always enough.

Hithlain

Keeper of Ying
Nov 25, 2008
It seems that most of the time, Sony and Microsoft are trying to smack talk Nintendo so that they seem cooler. It works as well as the PC vs Mac ads for me. Which is to say, not at all.

As a company, I don't think acting like a 6 year old boy helps your brand image.

GonzoGamer

Apr 9, 2008
And wearing goggles is "right?"
Then I guess I want to be wrong.
How many people huddle around a ds screen anyway?

I'm closer to getting a 3DS than I am to getting a sony 3d tv.
A lot closer.

Sparrow

Feb 22, 2009
Andy Chalk said:
Sony Computer Entertainment [http://www.scei.co.jp/index_e.html] CEO Kaz Hirai says the 3D technology at work in current handheld gaming devices suffers from too many limitations and that Sony is more interested in "getting it right" than simply being first.
They're totally alright with jumping on bandwagons though. Everyone and their mother in the gaming industry wants a piece of the motion controlled market.

Hithlain said:
It seems that most of the time, Sony and Microsoft are trying to smack talk Nintendo so that they seem cooler. It works as well as the PC vs Mac ads for me. Which is to say, not at all.
I'm don't think Microsoft really have ever smack talked Nintendo. They probally have more sense than to take on the mammoth that are the Nintendo IPs.

Dr. wonderful

Dec 31, 2009
how about this guys, it's a brand new idea....

HOW ABOUT MAKE SOME GOOD GAMES, SCREW 3-D AND ALL OF IT CRAP.

...How that for a new idea?

shaboinkin

Apr 13, 2008
Doesn't nintendo have 9 months to perfect it? March 2011 it's coming out right?

Wasn't the 3DS at e3 a prototype? I'm pretty sure it was.

SnootyEnglishman

May 26, 2009
These guys are just upset that Nintendo is beating them to the punch in certain innovations. Like motion control Nintendo did it first with the Wii and we got Microsoft and Sony with their own systems of motion sensitive games with the Move and Kinect. Nintendo comes first with 3ds and now S and M want a piece of it, but rather than doing something it seems they want to pull the high-school girl approach and trash talk Nintendo instead.

PedroSteckecilo

Mexican Fugitive
Feb 7, 2008
Breaking News:

Sony Computer Entertainment CEO Kaz Hirai completely misunderstands the appeal of the 3DS, not recognizing in his blind desire to make MAD DOLLARZ off of overpriced TV's, 3d Glasses, 3d Products etc. that a glassesless, peripheral free and most importantly AFFORDABLE 3d system has massive selling appeal that cannot be mustered by Sony's overpriced gimmick.

1080bitgamer

Telegram Dictator
Apr 11, 2010
The games industry is all about one upping the other company in some way, no pun intended. Sony is too focused on how well Nintendo is doing with handhelds and casual games, and instead should spend its money on pleasing its loyal hardcore crowd. The PSP hasn't been doing well, and they want to derive any sales Nintendo will get from its 3ds.

Polock

Jan 23, 2010
I can't wait in a few years form now, for Microsoft to start having their own 3D technology, after calling it BS. Oy. Personally I'm not looking forward to 3D..but I guess change comes and you can't stop it.

b4k4

May 2, 2009
Sparrow said:
Hithlain said:
I'm don't think Microsoft really have ever smack talked Nintendo. They probally have more sense than to take on the mammoth that are the Nintendo IPs.
At the original reveal for Natal, they made some thinly veiled remark to the effect of "With our system, there's no plastic remote to wave around, it's all you." But beyond that I don't think I've heard anything out of them in that regard.

As for the 3DS, it has me more excited than anything else I heard out of E3. I had high hopes for Kinect, but Microsoft failed to deliver; I don't expect to see any games for it that I'd personally be interested in for at least a year and a half. I wanna see more about the 3DS, but as far as I'm concerned it'll most likely be my next hardware purchase unless my 360 bricks itself in the immediate future.

KSarty

Aug 5, 2008
The original version that I read of this report stated that this comment was made before the E3 unveiling of the 3DS and was not in reference to the 3DS, but was actually in reference to the research Sony has done with such technology.

AboveUp

May 21, 2008
I'm reading this article and all that I'm getting is: "How dare Nintendo make a 3D handheld before we did! We'll show them! We'll ditch the PSP soon enough and launch the 3DPSP:Go! That'll show Nintendo!"

Ehra

Mar 19, 2010
Didn't we just have an article where Sony was saying how great it was that Nintendo was bringing more attention to 3D?

LawlessSquirrel

Jun 9, 2010
Wasn't Sony just talking about how they liked the 3DS a few days ago?
Didn't they blow a lot of money on supposed research with their last failed handheld variant?
"at present there are limitations", so there are no limitations if people wait a little longer?

I know it's good for a laugh, but these companies arn't helping themselves by bad-talking each other. It's more a reflection on themselves than on their intended target.