Sony Cancels The Interview Over Hacking Threat - Update

Deathfish15

Nov 7, 2006
Casually mention 9/11, threaten theaters in a vague way, and hack a company's [rather unsecured] computer files....

...apparently those are the first parts of the "How to win at Terrorism" book?

Seriously, this is basically what happened. A comedy spoof (not a good one, mind you) with Seth Rogan killing Kim Jong Un is not reason enough to give in to terrorism for the sake of it.

If I remember correctly, we had a movie called Hot Shots in which Sadam Husan was frozen, broken, melted down, fused with a tiny dog, and blown up with a missile! And yet....nothing happened but laughs at bad acting, bad spoofing, and bad guys.

Questions:

1) Since when did unauthorized North Koreans enter the USofA in the past year?

2) What materials do they have to openly attack movie theathers?

3) Does the FBI, CIA, or even the Secret Service have any validity to threats?

4) Every since the Colorado Batman theater incident, do most theaters not have some sort of protocols in place?

5a) Was there any effort of anyone at all to contact the local authorities of the theaters for the opening night
5b) Any effort to contact those mentioned in #3 to utilize every resource available to investigate a terrorist threat that claims to be the next 9/11?

MisterColeman

Mar 19, 2009
Worgen said:
They should just make it public domain, as a big middle finger to the hackers.
If Sony had any brains they'd release The Interview today, for $25, on all digital platforms and rake in hundreds of millions.

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
CS:GO - "Terrorists win"

For real though, that is a damn shame. They should still release it digitally.

Grahav

Mar 13, 2009
You see North Korea? It is because of shit like this that we want your government to die. Painfully

Queen Michael

has read 4,010 manga books
Jun 9, 2009
I'm so glad I'm Swedish and will be able to go watch this movie. And I never go see any movies that aren't sf or superhero movies.

Dinosorcerer

Sep 5, 2013
usually I don't mind hackers. but these guys are assholes. just casually stirring up shit like that. worst part is, they probably wouldn't have done anything anyway. their probably laughing to themselves right now. what awful people

CrazyGirl17

I am a banana!
Sep 11, 2009
...Okay what the hell? Are we really so weak-willed to give into terroristic threats over a movie? Seriously? And my folks wonder why I don't like people...

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
[HEADING=1]LAME.[/HEADING]

Caving in gets you nothing, Sony. You should know better.

teknoarcanist

Jun 9, 2008
Sony made the right call. There were threats being made (by a tyrannical government, mind you) to real-world businesses and lives, just weeks after that same government followed through on a previous threat and unleashed one of the largest and most brazen cyberterrorist attacks in history.

It is not the job of a movie studio--much less a theater--to judge the credibility of threats from a terrorist state, nor to counter those threats. If a crazy man runs up to you on the street and says, "I have a gun, give me your money," you don't go, "Ho hum, I don't know, I don't want to set a precedent; do you REALLY have a gun? How big of a gun are we talking here?" No: you give the guy your wallet, and then you call the fucking cops, the guys whose job it is to take care of crazy guys who may-or-may-not-have-guns.

If there was even a .000001% chance that the threat was credible, then Sony made the only possible ethically-responsible call. Else tomorrow we might be reading a very different headline.

You want to know who to be mad at? Be mad at the government of North Korea, and at the state department which shrugged its shoulders and mumbled, "It's not a credible threat," to this whole ordeal. Be mad at a President (and I *LIKE* President Obama! I voted for him TWICE!) who lets a dictator-state bully around companies and dictate the terms of our culture.

But don't blame Sony. I know it might not seem like it, because they're this big faceless corporation that makes a lot of movies that aren't all that good, but yes, they were THE VICTIM here. And I think it's absolute crap to demonize or chastise them for not telling a violent fascist dictatorship, "G'head, I'm pretty sure you're bluffing this time; come at me bro!"

XenoScifi

Dec 30, 2013
Oh cool. I cannot see what looks to be a fucking funny film because of terrorists? Sony made the fucking film, best thing I think they can do is at least allow those who want to watch it to download it and watch it in our own homes for the price of a movie ticket. I doubt North Korea will blow all our homes up, and if they do nobody but ourselves are liable.

Dark Knifer

May 12, 2009
This really feels like you could get rid of anything from consumers if your seen as a big enough 'perceived' threat.

All from the comfort of your own living room.

Deathfish15

Nov 7, 2006
Queen Michael said:
I'm so glad I'm Swedish and will be able to go watch this movie. And I never go see any movies that aren't sf or superhero movies.
Swedish doesn't matter, as this movie will most likely NOT get an International release either. They've scrapped their premier, their initial NA release, and most likely any "public" release of this movie at all.

It's all book burning and witch hunting again, welcome to over a century ago as it's no longer 2014, it's the 1960's. And although not close to the literary achievement of Fahrenheit 451, the similarity still shows (a sci-fi book about future where books are 'censored' gets banned is close to context of a movie about 'removing' a vicious all-powerful dictator being shuttered because said dictator used his power to threaten the movie makers).

Edit: OH SNAP!, Guess the cable company hasn't gotten the memo. Just saw a short 15sec trailer for The Interview on Comedy Central just a minute ago stating "Opening Christmas Day".

teknoarcanist

Jun 9, 2008
MarsAtlas said:
Terrorists win. Worst part is this terrorists don't actually have the power to do anything. North Korea can't get a missile to fire as well as the US or USSR could've done in the 60s', its extremely unlikely they could do anything. All bark, no bite, as always.
They just launched one of the biggest cyberterrorist attacks in history...

llamastorm.games

Apr 10, 2008
If I was Sony now, I'd spam the shit out of it.
Get it on DVD and into shops as quickly as possible, have it on iTunes or maybe even see how much Netflix might pay for exclusive rights.
3million DVD sales equates to about $50million enough to put them about even.

Zef Otter

Nov 28, 2007
Id release it online and dvd! The best marketing for a movie ever, I bet everyone wants to see it now. XD

Dark Knifer

May 12, 2009
teknoarcanist said:
I like how you call sony the victim and then blame them for if they showed the movie and got attacked it would be their fault. If the probability of a threat is that low still requires you to outright cancel the movie then you could ban every single movie in history through the internet.

Seriously, threaten a massacre you could stop politicians speaking, movies, books and music being banned from showing.

Your essentially allowing a terrorists dream because of your own paranoia. I really think you need a perspective on the precedent you set with this.