Sony CEO Speaks Out on PSN Catastrophe

Feb 13, 2008
And, of course, you're going to extend this protection to all those people no longer able to play DCUO, Everquest or any of your other Station based games?

Hey, it's not like you locked all of your MMOs into one particular unsecured database is...it?

wastaz

Mmm...brains...
Nov 16, 2009
...and also confirmed that U.S. PlayStation Network and Qriocity customers will be enrolled in the AllClear ID Plus identity theft protect program...
So what about us non-USA-ians on this side of the pond? Will we get any protection or..?

Feb 13, 2008
Awexsome said:
Oh of course. These hackers greatly improved the security of those peoples' personal info.

They're not honor-bound vigilantes.

They're criminals. Criminals that should be punished by the full extent of the law.
Which is...unable to reach them.

And yes, the hackers have improved the security of the people's lives. By teaching Sony that their antiquated insecure system needs a damn good update.

They my have also committed crimes, for which they will stand trial, but would you have preferred a power outage or something to have caused this? Because if their system is as open as reports say, the entire PSN could have been used as a bot-net without anyone knowing.

Zenode

Jan 21, 2009
Andy Chalk said:
confirmed that U.S. PlayStation Network and Qriocity customers will be enrolled in the AllClear ID Plus identity theft protect program [http://blog.us.playstation.com/2011/05/05/sony-offering-free-allclear-id-plus-identity-theft-protection-in-the-united-states-through-debix-inc/], that includes a $1 million insurance policy against identity theft, for one year at no charge.
As in United States of America customers only, seriously, they do realise there are millions over the WHOLE GODDAMN WORLD that were affected by this, not just the united states, why do they get the extra cover over this >.>

Im glad that Sony are saying "look, we did this, this and this. We did it because blah blah blah" At least they are being a little bit open about what they are doing

kanetsb

Sep 13, 2007
I'm sure we'll enjoy the bonuses once the lawsuits are over... Just hope there's a Sony after them.

LightspeedJack

May 2, 2010
Should have gone like this:
"We want to make up for the PSN crisis...FREE COPIES OF UNCHARTED 3 FOR EVERYONE!"
Then you would be forgiven.

Yetshua

May 6, 2011
Has no one noticed the very close proximity to Sony's heavy handed legal actions and the hacking of their network? I would think that they would have gotten the message by now. As the fine people of Extra Credits put it: Sony, you do not go to war with the kind of people who install Linux on their Playstations.

If I had to guess, I would say that this entire event was triggered by Sony's own actions. They have conducted themselves with all the grace of a bull in a china shop, and angered some very smart and dedicated people.

As for people hating on the hackers, I will say this: Do you really think that the type of people who would be capable of doing this aren't gamers? Do you really think none of them are effected by the PSN shutdown? Do you honestly believe that none of them have a Playstation that they love to play just as much as any of us? I don't think so.

Note that as far as we know, none of the information that was taken has been used. According to the information we have, none of the credit card numbers have been abused... not one. So effectively, yes, the hackers have inconvenienced us, but no more than they have inconvenienced themselves. What they have really done is sent a message to Sony. A message I hope they pay attention to.

So go ahead. Hate on the hackers. As they risk legal action to stand up for the rights of consumers, I am sure that they appreciate the support from the very people who stand to benefit from the risks that they have taken. What they did was actually act on the frustration and outrage that so many do nothing but whine and complain about. SO... as long as none of the information that was taken is used, I stand behind these people completely. If ever it IS used, then the motivations behind these actions cease to be altruistic, and I will completely withdraw my support. But until that time, the only thing I have to say to the hackers is thanks... and the only thing I have to say to Sony is "Do you get it yet?"

Gralian

Me, I'm Counting
Sep 24, 2008
1) I'm sticking to my xbox for my online needs after this catastrophe. I'll still play and probably buy games for my PS3, i just won't go online with it or shop for stuff with it.

2) Everytime i read 'Qriocity' i always misinterpret it phonetically as 'atrocity'. Which is hilarious when you consider the context of this hacker attack.

Delusibeta

Reachin' out...
Mar 7, 2010
wastaz said:
...and also confirmed that U.S. PlayStation Network and Qriocity customers will be enrolled in the AllClear ID Plus identity theft protect program...
So what about us non-USA-ians on this side of the pond? Will we get any protection or..?

I'm still awaiting the announcement that they fired the people responsible for leaving a known exploit unpatched in the server software.

aaronmcc

Oct 18, 2008
Shouldn't they have "some of the best technical experts in the field" working for them in the first place to prevent this stuff? Rather than bringing them in after the fact to mop up all the shit.

Void Droid

Oct 6, 2010
As already said, Sony are trying to get the same thing set up for EU users as the US users will be getting:

"Sony Europe is working "incredibly hard" to offer all PlayStation Network users a free European identity protection scheme."

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-05-06-sonys-psn-identity-protection-scheme

frago roc

Aug 13, 2009
rockavitch said:
As already said, Sony are trying to get the same thing set up for EU users as the US users will be getting:

"Sony Europe is working "incredibly hard" to offer all PlayStation Network users a free European identity protection scheme."

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-05-06-sonys-psn-identity-protection-scheme
And yet nothing for us Canadians, neighbours of the US.

The Rockerfly

Dec 31, 2008
Leebo said:
no 1 is arsd wat uv gt 2 say get cod bk on wer payin 4 internet 4 nothink ere
Err, what? I have no idea what you are saying

OT: I don't think he is sorry personally but he will be sorry once the sales have dipped and share holders lose all faith in him.

Void Droid

Oct 6, 2010
frago roc said:
rockavitch said:

And yet nothing for us Canadians, neighbours of the US.
Something will turn up sooner or later no doubt, probably looking into something similar and just so happens EU is a bit faster on the ball in this case, or maybe making a point of mentioning EU due to what came out recently. Just thought I'd post it again since quite a few people keep mentioning EU.

Mister Benoit

Sep 19, 2008
linkvegeta said:
Im not a fan of Most Sony products but they do make a dam good HDTV!
Samsung makes the actual screens and Sony slaps their name and charges 100$ more =p

Buizel91

Autobot
Aug 25, 2008
Leebo said:
no 1 is arsd wat uv gt 2 say get cod bk on wer payin 4 internet 4 nothink ere
^This actually hurt my eyes and made my brain hurt...

Aaaaaaaaanyway moving on, How come the European don't get the AllClear ID Plus identity theft protect program? i don't have a PS3, but that seems a bit stupid to only give the U.S users that, or was it only there data that got stolen?

But still nice to see Sony trying to make it up for PS3 users, most companies wouldn't bother.

BTW off topic, i thought the head of Sony was a Japanese guy? o_O and yet he looks like an older Bobby Kotick o_O Seriously look at this guy, then look at Kotick...oooh the horror!

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Sony's not going to just hook up the Americans and leave the rest of the world hanging, guys. But there's no "one size fits all" when it comes to identity theft protection across international borders. The US probably got first dibs because it's the largest market but I'm sure everyone will be taken care of (as the Euromgamer link indicates) and we'll keep you posted about it. No sense losing your shit until Sony says "We're done here" while you're still not covered.

Roberto416

Mar 30, 2011
Well, first thing I would do with the one month free membership of Playstation Plus would be to get anything that Plus marks FREE or HALF OFF on those indie games. I wanted to try out a few of those games.