Sony Charging Extra for PSP2's 3G Features

Akihiko

Raincoat Killer
Aug 21, 2008
I'm betting it'll be a bit like what apple is doing with the iPad. Where in the Uk you can pay £5-£15 a month or alternatively £2 daily to o2/orange to get 3g on it. You don't get much data credit though.

Numachuka

Sep 3, 2010
Honestly, I'm probably going to be using this for single player, or LAN. I am also planning on downloading all the games I want from my pc, assuming that have the same sort of thing they had with the PSP Go, so I don't really have much use for 3g. Wifi might be good for something like DLC.

Joepow

Jan 10, 2011
icyneesan said:
I doubt I'd get the 3G. I never play my handhelds 'on the go'. They're as stationary as my consoles and PC. Hell I love my Consoles and PC more then I move my handhelds.

Wonder if they could make this thing sell for $100... A much lower price then the 3DS could probably give them a lot better edge over the 3DS. Especially if they both come out this year. Christmas could be bitchin' exciting watching PSP2 and 3DSsss trying to out sell each other.
I assume you mean move?

VanityGirl

Apr 29, 2009
Hmm. I don't mind paying for 3G service. I actually travel with my handhelds quite a bit, so this could be a good thing for me to have.

I wonder how much it will cost?

BabyRaptor

Dec 17, 2010
Expected as much. One less reason to buy it though...I already pay extra so I can have a smart phone.

icyneesan

Feb 28, 2010
AnubisAuman said:
icyneesan said:
I doubt I'd get the 3G. I never play my handhelds 'on the go'. They're as stationary as my consoles and PC. Hell I love my Consoles and PC more then I move my handhelds.

Wonder if they could make this thing sell for $100... A much lower price then the 3DS could probably give them a lot better edge over the 3DS. Especially if they both come out this year. Christmas could be bitchin' exciting watching PSP2 and 3DSsss trying to out sell each other.
I assume you mean move?
Most likely I wrote that while eatting breakfest, watching the news, and writing a essay on something :p

blarghblarghhhhh

Mar 16, 2010
tk1989 said:
Apparently the 3g will come with service and data restrictions, meaning it may not be fully equipped for online play on the move much like you would have it at home. I wouldn't get your hopes up.

I also read somewhere that the 3g service will cost the user each time its used, although this could just be one of the options made available in conjunction with a monthly subscription.
theres no way 3g can support multiplayer anyways. Maybe in really simple games, like checkers... but a fps, i just dont think it would work.

airrazor7

Nov 8, 2010
Delusibeta said:
And I'm going to guess that the 3G version will cost $400. If Apple can get away with it, Sony will attempt it too.
why not? We live in an era where people will buy a $400 cellphone and a $100 monthly contract just so they can access facebook on their phone. Look at how much the windows 7 phone costs that can connect with an xbox360. I don't hear anyone complaining about that. Why is it that people will scrutinize Sony over their prices but will drop hundreds of dollars into other tech without a thought?
(not trolling/attacking anyone, just posing the question)

Seriously, people will buy a $300-$400 phone just for another way to chat with friends, play something like bubble gem master 5 and download pointless apps to serve as cheap jokes and to annoy others yet when it comes to an actual gaming device with additional features that is coming close to putting current gen console power on the go, people will want to gripe and complain if it costs more than $200. I know people who have bought iPads and have no idea what to do with them. Why are people willing to spend so much money on things they will not use to their full extent yet gripe about a Sony item. I wish someone would explain the mentality behind this popular notion because it makes no sense to me.

I believe Sony has every right to charge at least $400 for the 3G model, especially when people are willing to pay more for less. You know what, I'm willing to bet that if Sony included a facebook app with the NGP and marketed the heck out of it, people will come in droves to buy. I think most people are willing to do anything for more options to chat with their thumbs.

Sorry if I seem a little wound-up over the topic. I just think that the constant griping over the pricing of Sony products is ridiculous. Sure the PS3 was over priced when it first came out, especially with the weak starting library, but people need to stop hanging that over the company's head.

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
Delusibeta said:
And I'm going to guess that the 3G version will cost $400. If Apple can get away with it, Sony will attempt it too.
If they have any sense at all, they will try to undercut Apple here, even if by a little.
Any leverage Sony can gain in their initial attach rate can only benefit them in the long run.

NGP is still going to be a games console; albeit, with less emphasis on the games (and more emphasis on other functionality).
However, that still means some of the old standards/expectations exist; longevity being one of them. iPhones/iPods/iJunk are well-made, but readily try to outdo each other (there are HOW many versions of the iPod now?).

VanQ

Casual Plebeian
Oct 23, 2009
Damn that console looks really nice for a handheld. I wasn't aware there was going to be a 3G option at until now. As long as it's not stupendously expensive to subscribe to, I will probably be willing to fork over the initial cost to get the 3G capable version.