Sony Claims It Told Users of PSN Info Breach Immediately

Emergent

Oct 26, 2010
Saltyk said:
Well, I'd say that it's a safe bet that whoever is responsible for this did something. The most obvious explanation is that they hacked PSN to access the client's personal information for the purposes of identity theft. Could they have done it for the fun of it? Sure. Anything is possible. But I'm going with the principle of Occam's razor.

If it's okay with you, I'll be sad that doublespeak is not flagged as misspelled while Occam's razor is.
Technically, Occam's Razor falls on "they did it for the lulz" as it's a more simple explanation than "organized crime syndicate," but please consider that a random whimsical observation not any kind of counterargument.

I actually agree with you that mass identity theft is likely, but still want to point out there's no evidence for it at all, and that if there is evidence of it and Sony is withholding that information then it's kind of a big deal (maybe even a bigger deal than the alleged theft itself).

I'm really just trying to inject some sanity into this whole debacle, and kind of bitter that the Escapist writers are deliberately misstating the facts in an effort to sensationalize the story.

Tony2077

Dec 19, 2007
The_root_of_all_evil" post="7.280051.10942043 said:
And people wonder why this is always posted:
/quote] just what we need a video of random swear words and random nonsense bravo who ever the heck you are

Denamic

Aug 19, 2009
KaiusCormere said:
It's funny to me, more people will be mad at Sony than whoever stole the information.
The simple fact that someone got this information with a hacked PS3 is fucking retarded.
They DESERVE to be ridiculed for that.
Such flimsy security is completely unacceptable.

Feb 13, 2008
tony2077 said:
just what we need a video of random swear words and random nonsense bravo who ever the heck you are
I try my best. ;)

Honestly Sony, couldn't you just have Tweeted
"#ohshit Servers have been compromised. Please block all cards. #notajoke"

OutforEC

Professional Amateur
Jul 20, 2010
MattAn24 said:
mojodamm said:
MattAn24 said:
Skizle said:
MattAn24 said:
notyouraveragejoe said:
I'm sorry what? I'm a PSN user and I wasn't informed. At all. In any way shape or form. Not even warned about the possibility. I mean....I'd have loved to have been told. I mean...An email would have been nice. So I call LIES! Or at least not the full truth.
Learn to read the blog (both EU AND US blogs posted about it several times) AND their Twitter accounts. It was made well aware, and members of those blogs knew about it because they READ IT WHEN IT HAPPENED.
You know some people could care less about developer blogs or Twitter feeds.

OT: You think they would have this kind of thing fixed, but I guess all of Sony's money went into lawyers and couldn't afford to have PSN fixed
Simple. You don't get any sympathy from me~ I was well-informed and knew about this FROM Sony, not The Escapist. If anything, The Escapist posted about it AFTER Sony had posted on their homepage/blog.

That's the outlet you have. If you don't check it for news, your problem. Others knew about it just fine, because they weren't immensely stupid. As others in this thread have stated, they have the blog bookmarked AND regularly check it through various news feeds. Surely you could add their RSS feed like any other news site. You would have known about all this earlier!

Now all the rest of us are just laughing at you ill-informed folk..
1. Parents who don't use the PS3 but who have kids who do.
2. People who only use the PS3 occasionally, the 'casual' gamers.
3. PSP users.

Just because everyone doesn't religiously follow blogs and news feeds does not make everyone "immensely stupid", just as following them apparently doesn't make one a decent person.
That's a massive over-generalization there. Now, are you saying those 3 don't check the blog or they do? Because I am solely a PSP user and I know for a fact that "hardcore" PS3 users frequent the blog, because it's not JUST updates on games/firmware. Your obvious close-minded attitude really doesn't bode well in your favour..
Really? REALLY?!? You're going to go with "massive over-generalization" after spouting off that people who didn't check the Sony blog are 'immensely stupid'?

Wow. Just...wow.

Tony2077

Dec 19, 2007
i'm trying to think of something that doesn't make me look stupid but its not working ah never mind i got it i need more popcorn before this shit storm picks up again

Delusibeta

Reachin' out...
Mar 7, 2010
As I said yesterday, if any other company that sells things over the internet had a breach of this size, heads will roll. I expect the same from Sony.

DanteVX

Nov 23, 2010
I am not really too bothered about the warning of 'personal information' being stolen. I know that I should be, but I have this feeling that if the hacker(s) were going to do anything with it, they would of done so by now. At the time of writing this, I have heard of no one reporting fraud or identity stealing, heck no one has even reported an increase of spam emails or MSN stealing.

I have a hunch that this pretty much falls under a kind of hacktivism. They didn't do it because they wanted to steal money or to change your status on Facebook, I think they did it to prove to Sony that they could do it, to prove a point. I am of course in no way advocating what they did, in any sense. However, if the point is you like a challenge and to actually see an effect, then you are going to go after a very public target, who very publicly went after the hacking community, who very publicly said they were extremely 'secure' and by your very actions a majority of people are affected, hell its even making national news. See, in the past few days WordPress got hacked. How many no about that? Barely anyone, no large media hype, no national news slot. Just a side note on WP, you go after PSN and millions of user can't get online, you get people complaining on the internet. You take down PSN with the threat of personal information being stolen, your on the news.

Again, maybe I shouldn't be so nonchalant in this matter and I may even regret it, but lets just look at this in a logical manner. You steal a lot personal information, what do you do? Do you wait until Sony tells everyone to go out and change their passwords. Banks and credit card companies are being put on high alert for suspicious activity, with the police waiting to catch some fresh hacker blood OR do you do as much damage as possible, take little bits here and there, when the entire world, including Sony, the people you have hacked, are still in the dark about what you have done.

Trogdor1138

May 28, 2010
The_root_of_all_evil said:
tony2077 said:
just what we need a video of random swear words and random nonsense bravo who ever the heck you are
I try my best. ;)

Don't mind him, he doesn't have a sense of humour. That video always makes me laugh.

Tony2077

Dec 19, 2007
Trogdor1138 said:
The_root_of_all_evil said:
tony2077 said:
I try my best. ;)

Don't mind him, he doesn't have a sense of humour. That video always makes me laugh.
i have a sense of humor its just a twisted fucked up one

drkchmst

Mar 28, 2010
So...they knew there was a "breach of security" but they didn't know how bad it was until yesterday...but they knew it was bad. So they took PSN down. At that point wouldn't it be good to do a little damage control anyway and let everybody know "hey guys...turns out our system isn't unhackable...sorry"

Treblaine

Jul 25, 2008
notyouraveragejoe said:
I mean...An email would have been nice. So I call LIES! Or at least not the full truth.
You realise considering this breach of all those detail that any emails you get from Sony are completely unreliable, they could be spoofs.

It could say "follow this link the change your password" when it just captures your new one!

Communicating via the media is probably safer as at least Sony still controls its twitter account.

Treblaine

Jul 25, 2008
drkchmst said:
"hey guys...turns out our system isn't unhackable...sorry"
No system is unhackable.

No exceptions.

But one thing I wouldn't expect is for them to get any large amount of data. That should be segmented, encrypted and obscured so that any novice who gets into the network would take a long time finding the data, a long time extracting it and even longer trying to decrypt it. Long enough for them to be discovered then traced or cut-off.

The news is calling this "The Biggest Network Breach EVER!" and I'm inclined to believe them.

It's becoming apparent this is a watershed moment in network security, the worst case scenario.

Sixties Spidey

Elite Member
Jan 24, 2008
Are you telling me that you sat on the information of 70 million users while the PSN was down for seven days and you're telling us NOW that they're in jeopardy?! AND you have the balls to tell us that you told us immediately?! I don't buy that, Sony. If you even cared about this issue in the slightest, then you'd have made damn sure that our identities and information aren't in the hands of hackers.