Sony Cuts List of EU/PAL PS4 Developers in Half

MikeWehner

The Dude
Aug 21, 2011
Sony Cuts List of EU/PAL PS4 Developers in Half

The PS4 loses 53 PAL studios, and gains 28 new ones. Wait... what?

Shortly after the company's PlayStation 4 preview event last week the company published a list of all the developers and publishers currently on board to develop content for the upcoming system. Now, in a rather odd turn of events, Sony has revised its original press release, removing all of the 53 supposed EU/PAL PS4 supporters and replacing them with 28 completely different names.

Here is the original list published by Sony immediately after its PlayStation 2013 meeting:

4A Games
505 Games
Abstraction
Beatshapers
Big Ant
Big Bit
BitComposer
Bloober Team S.A.
Boss Alien
Bugbear
Cauldron
City Interactive
Criterion Games
Croteam
Curve Studios
Dakko Dakko Ltd
Deck 13
Double Eleven
Eko Software
FatShark
Flying Wildhog
Four Door Lemon
Frozenbyte
FuturLab
Gaijin
Ghost Games
Green Hill Studios
Kalyspo Media
Laughing Jackal
Ludosity
Mediatonic
Milestone
Mojang
Onmi Systems
Prodigy Design
Ripstone
Roll7
Ronimo
Rovio
Shortround
Sperasoft
Sproing
Stormbasic
Straight Right
Targem
Tate
Techland
Tonika
Torus Games
Vector Cell
Virtual Toys
Vlambeer
Wizarbox

And here is the new, corrected list:

2K Games
Avalanche Studios
Blitz Games Studios
Bohemia Interactive
CD Projekt RED
CLIMAX STUDIOS
Codemasters
Creative Assembly
Deep Silver
Hello Games
IO Interactive
Just Add Water (Developments), Ltd.
keen games
Lucid Games Ltd
MercurySteam
Ninja Theory Ltd
Nixxes Software BV
Paradox Interactive
Rebellion
Saber Interactive
Splash Damage
Stainless Games Ltd
Starbreeze Studios
Sumo Digital
TEAM17 DIGITAL LTD
TT Games
YAGER
Zen Studios

That's quite a change, and given that the list is now completely different, it would appear that whoever assembled the original press release accidentally included a list of PAL developers not confirmed for PS4 support. Yikes.

Source: Joystiq [http://www.joystiq.com/2013/02/25/sony-completely-revises-list-of-ps4-eu-studios-down-from-53-to/#continued]

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Seems that the second list is of much higher profile developers.

That's just going by the fact that I recognise most of the names on the second list and only a handful on the first.

No idea if this means anything.

SonOfMethuselah

Oct 9, 2012
I would have to assume that that first list was a mistake. I mean, a cursory glance suggests there are no common names, which doesn't seem at all likely. But, like Zhukov, I know pretty much all the names on the second list, and there are quite a few on the first I'm sure I never heard of, so maybe this new list is a good thing?

Especially since TEAM17 being on the list means we're likely to see a PS4 Worms title. Yay, Worms!

wooty

Vi Britannia
Aug 1, 2009
I couldnt help but notice the Creative Assembly on this list................... Total War possibly on consoles?

I can see this being a risk that could pay off with better tech, or another failed attempt to integrate RTS onto home consoles. Either way, I can see it creating a lot of text slinging from PC owners. Heaven FORBID they dumb down any future Total War games. As much as I love my consoles, please dont fuck with my reason for keeping a PC up to spec.

devilmore

Nov 18, 2009
The second list at least fits with the publisher Logos they showed on their press event. Also the first list looks more like a bunch of indie devs...

Apr 28, 2008
Creative Assembly?

Oh god, does this mean another Spartan Total Warrior game? Or another game like it? Oh please, please let it be so... Yeah I know it's one hell of a long shot but shut up! A man can dream!

ron1n

Jan 28, 2013
My worry would be that CA is going to use the Warhammer Fantasy rights Sega bought for them to make some shitty multi-platform game instead of the Total Warhammer experience everyone wants.

Interesting to see Splash Damage there too. Assume they are going to port over Dirty Bomb?

Blindrooster

Jul 13, 2009
Irridium said:
Creative Assembly?

Oh god, does this mean another Spartan Total Warrior game? Or another game like it? Oh please, please let it be so... Yeah I know it's one hell of a long shot but shut up! A man can dream!
That was an amazing game! I still play it from time to time. Hope whatever they are bringing to console isn't a ps4 exclusive .

RhombusHatesYou

Surreal Estate Agent
Mar 21, 2010
Between There and There.
Country
The Wide, Brown One.
wooty said:
Either way, I can see it creating a lot of text slinging from PC owners. Heaven FORBID they dumb down any future Total War games.
Ennhhhh... you know, with the touch screen control on the PS4 controller they may not have to dumb it down very much at all. If they can pull it off then all they'd have to do in put in some limitations in the PS4 version on graphics for the battle maps (no oversized units, no superfluous graphic effects, no 4k*4k texture maps for troops, etc) so the PS4 doesn't chug when you have 10,000+ troops on screen... or they could do what they do with the PC version and have a range of graphics options. Why the fuck not?

Personally I'm more curious as to what Paradox Interactive are up to... Probably having stuff like Magicka and the like ported/dev'ed but it'll be interesting to see if they try to put one of their grand strategy games on the PS4.

Hmmm... speaking of strategy... I wonder if when they mention 2k if that includes Firaxis... Could be that Civ V finds itself on the PS4. Spec wise the PS4 should be able to run it and the interface would only need a tweak or two to get it working with a controller.

Bleidd Whitefalcon

Mar 8, 2012
Irridium said:
Creative Assembly?

I think it's more likely to be their Alien title. They've already said that it would be multiplatform

CardinalPiggles

Jun 24, 2010
Glad to see Avalanche on the second list, Just Cause 3 I hope!

And Mojang on the first list? Seems odd.

wooty said:
I couldnt help but notice the Creative Assembly on this list................... Total War possibly on consoles?

I can see this being a risk that could pay off with better tech, or another failed attempt to integrate RTS onto home consoles. Either way, I can see it creating a lot of text slinging from PC owners. Heaven FORBID they dumb down any future Total War games. As much as I love my consoles, please dont fuck with my reason for keeping a PC up to spec.
Maybe the touchpad might help with the controls?

#devilsadvocate

mechalynx

Führer of the Sausage People
Mar 23, 2008
Ludosity was on the first list? What were the folks at Sony smoking? As far as I know that team never even touched a PS platform.