Sony Defends "Welcome Back" Reward Choices

chuckey

Oct 9, 2010
I don't mind the list. I'm actually stuck between wipeout or dead nation (already decided on inFamous). What does annoy me was finding out that you need to keep a plus membership for stuff you downloaded while using it.

TimeLord

For the Emperor!
Legacy
Aug 15, 2008
Well seeing as I've always wanted to play inFamous and Wipeout and now I can for free then I'm not complaining at all!

mjc0961

YOU'RE a pie chart.
Nov 30, 2009
Alade said:
Although in my opinion the best approach would have been to simply award everyone some playstation store credit, that WOULD make everyone happy.
Nah. Then people would just complain that whatever amount of credit they get it isn't enough, and how it's not fair because this region got more after converting it to some other monetary unit they aren't using (they do this all the time actually; no you're not paying more US dollars for your games because you're not paying for them with US dollars), or some other nonsense.

Link90

Aug 10, 2009
I don't mind at all but they could have put spacific add-on's on the list like maybe some from LBP and some costume's from god of war 3 like the dominus armor and hell throw acouple of psx classic's on there as well but the psp list could have had a little more work though since (like most ppl) I also own the psp. So thats my 2 cents. Well now that i think about it i have had my eye on infamos and LBP for awhile so i can go ahead and get them since i did just buy the ps3 near the begining of the mounth but still non of that answers a question of mine will the 2 free deal be offered to the psp owners as well?

CM156_v1legacy

Revelation 9:6
Mar 23, 2011
It would be more odd if they were complaining on something given to them for free for no reason. From what I understand, this is compensation, which makes it make more sense why people would complain about it.

Oh well, not as if at affects me much: I have an Xbox.

Unhappy Crow

Mar 14, 2010
Hey, I'm not complaining. At least Sony is offering us free stuff after the hell we went through with PSN being hacked for almost a month, and already half of the people on the internet are unsatified and complaining about it. If I had all 5 games from the list (I only played 3), I wouldn't care. At least for others who want to play those games, now they have a chance to own it for free.

It's sad that people on the internet will whine about anything.

WorkerMurphey

Jan 24, 2010
I'm not too excited about the game options. I already finished InFamous and already own LBP1. The other psn stuff, meh. I'll be getting Dead Nation and Stardust. I would have preferred to just get a credit for the store to use as I see fit. They're giving us a cash value in games and some choice, I just would have preferred more of the choice aspect, mostly because it seems to me allowing me to download a PS1 game or DLC is just as easy as downloading one of the listed games. But I guess that's where some of the less obvious business/marketing stuff comes in.

Ultimately I'm happy with the mere fact that the PSN is back and that, knock on wood, my identity has not been stolen.

ragestreet

Oct 17, 2008
I like the idea of free games but it doesn't really matter if they just get taken away after a month anyway.

Icehearted

Jul 14, 2009
Chibz said:
People are HONESTLY complaining about receiving FREE games?

Maybe they should learn: don't look at gift horse in the mouth.
Not so sure I'd call stolen credit card information or leaked personal data a gift-anything. Also, free doesn't exactly make up for the aforementioned non-gifty things that happened because Sony was asleep at the helm.

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
I have mixed opinions on the subject to be honest. I can understand Sony's perspective on matters. They want to offer compensation that they feel isn't going to cost them anything, which is why I think the reception has been sort of luke warm at best. Consider for example that we have sequels out there/on the way for inFamous and Little Big Planet, and that while the other titles are well reviewed they are also fairly old and at this point probably aren't seeing much in the way of sales given that most people who would have wanted them already paid money for them. "God Of War III", to use the article writer's example, is one of last year's games, BUT it's also a game they doubtlessly feel they will move more copies of. If they give 77 million people a free copy that actually costs them susbtantial amounts of money in future sales compared to the titles they are offering.

In comparison Sony doesn't want to give something like a substantial blanket PSN discount, like 50% off on all purchuses, because again that will cost them money. Sony effectively having to pay that 50% to the merchants that people buy from, or seeing people using that oppertunity to "stock up" and then losing a lot of money in potential sales that would have happened over a period of time had they not offered the deal.

It's a situation where frankly Sony wants to make a gesture for purposes of public relations, but at the same time doesn't want that gesture to actually cost them very much to make. As this is fairly transparent, and I'm not the only one seeing it that way, the reaction is generally negative.

I don't consider this the quintessential "gift horse" because this isn't an act of generosity out of the blue. It's an attempt by Sony to compensate people for their loss of time in using their network, and hopefully repair damage to it's reputation. There are issues here beyond the down time itself, but also in what motivated the attacks, while not as prolific as the people QQing about not being able to use PSN in general, there are still quite a few people who are POed over the removal of the "other OS" option, combined with Sony lying about the reasons and so on, which is what provoked the attack to begin with.

We'll see what happens, but honestly I don't think anyone should be surprised that for all the build up Sony's gesture was ultimatly fairly pointless. Sony just wasn't going to lose out on hundreds of millions of dollars in potential revenues (given the number of people affected) in a gesture of good will. It would have been awesome if they did, and I would probably have been viewing them a little more positively to be honest, but that's not what happened.

imagremlin

Nov 19, 2007
I was quite surprised at the complaining. But I shouldn't have been.

Some people fail to get a few basic facts:

1) Sony has already taken a hit in financial terms, and they still have to deal with the third party developers lost bussiness. The welcome back program was going to cost money on top of this. They didn't have to it.

2) They had to offer a selection so most people would get something, making the loss worse.

3) This will KILL the retail value of all titles selected. They're just like a pack-in. Why would they do this to a major release that still sells (say, God of War or Motorstorm)

Considering all above, the deal was better than I expected. I thought it would be minis or download only titles.

Voxgizer

Jan 12, 2011
ANImaniac89 said:
People will ***** about anything.
I think Sony did a decent job with this I'm planing on getting inFamous and LBP and trading in my discs.
This is what I would've done if I'd already owned them, but I don't so I'm anxiously awaiting them.

I can understand how people are upset that they don't get what they want, yea, well, that's life, get the hell over it.

On the flip side, Sony could have implemented a "Choose your own game!" system, and given the user a set balance with which to buy the games they wanted. That way everyone gets what they want and Sony doesn't get shafted.

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
Dear Sony,

I hereby demand a gold plated car that MAKES gasoline as I drive it, therefore I never have to fill up again. I also require every PS3 game I buy from now until doomsday to be free, and YOU should pay ME for playing them (lucky for you, the doomsday is this Saturday). I also request that you track down every one of the hackers who did this and send them straight to Hell in the most painful way imaginable. Finally, you must watch all my credit accounts until the day I die, making sure that no one steals my stuff.

Sincerely,

Unreasonable.

Honestly, I'm just happy I have my PSN back. And I've always wanted to check out Dead Nation, so I'm good.

Thumper17

May 29, 2009
I'm not going to get butthurt. Though, it would be nice to keep the PS + stuff.

The idea about free sony store credit, say, 25 bucks would have been swanky, but I like the offerings, I do have one concern though. What if someone owns all four or five gift games? Granted, thats likely a rarity, but still, chances are a few people own all of them. I hope they still get something.

Cliff_m85

Feb 6, 2009
Chibz said:
People are HONESTLY complaining about receiving FREE games?

Maybe they should learn: don't look at gift horse in the mouth.
It seems like they're trying to get newbs into the PS3 with the game offerings. I mean, offering Little Big Planet? Who DOESN'T have that already? Most of the games are games most people already own. That's confusing to me.

Frostbite3789

Jul 12, 2010
Icehearted said:
because Sony was asleep at the helm.
Because you work at Sony and know all of their security measures, right? I mean, otherwise that'd be an incredibly ridiculous claim to make, since you'd have now more knowledge on the matter than anyone else.

Fiz_The_Toaster

books, Books, BOOKS
Legacy
Jan 19, 2011
Country
United States
Honestly I'm not surprised that people are complaining about the list. Granted I already have LBP and inFamous, but I will be getting Dead Nation and Stardust and be happy to play something that is given to me for free.

I'm a little annoyed at how entitled these people feel, and if they don't like what they see on that list, then I guess they shouldn't download those games if they feel that way.

Arisato-kun

Apr 22, 2009
People can ***** about it all they want about this. It just makes them look bad.

I, on the other hand, will be enjoying my free copies of inFamous and Dead Nation.

RvLeshrac

This is a Forum Title.
Oct 2, 2008
So... all the people complaining about people being displeased with this... your personal information and data security are worth nothing? Because that's exactly what people who already own all of the titles, most especially those who only own PSPs and not PS3s, are getting in exchange for a *complete failure* to secure account information.

Sony did nothing of value to make up for infecting systems with a rootkit, and now they've done nothing of value to make up for failing to secure confidential information. Why should they bother securing anything in the future when they have no significant long-term penalty for screwing customers?