Sony Defends "Welcome Back" Reward Choices

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
ragestreet said:
I like the idea of free games but it doesn't really matter if they just get taken away after a month anyway.
They don't get taken. Just the Plus games are. Everything else is forever.

=HCFS=Discoman

Jan 1, 2010
not really my first picks for games, but, hey, at least they are offering something.
they didn't have to.
well, i have none of those games, so score!

Nukey

Elite Member
Apr 24, 2009
I think a better reward be some free "points" (or whatever sony uses to buy downloadable games), as to allow the users to get whatever they want from the market. Or perhaps an 80% off sale. Maybe both?

I don't know, it's a nice gesture, but needs some fine tuning.

BanthaFodder

Jan 17, 2011
it just goes to show, people will ***** and moan about everything. if you ***** about free games, you don't deserve PSN in the first place.

inFAMOUS and wipEout for me (already have LBP).
anyone know when the maintenence on the PSN store ends?

StarCecil

Feb 28, 2010
I can see where people would be pissed. This isn't Sony giving freely out of the bottom of their hearts in kindness, this is them trying to compensate us for harm done to us. They announced some time ago that free shit would be a part of the compensation and that got many of us excited and anticipating said compensation. Now, if you don't want anything from their offering list, or if you already have it, then you basically get part of a compensation package. You were wronged, Sony offered an apology, but the apology doesn't apply to you.

I don't mind too much. I would have preferred a better selection or a blanket discount or whatever, but I'll DL Dead Nation. I share the account with my brother, so he gets to pick the other game.

Redd the Sock

Apr 14, 2010
Had a long statement prepared, then Therumancer beat me to it. I'm not one to complain about free games (even though if I hadn't bought these by now there was probably a reason), but I can smell the marketing over the remorse here.

I take what I'm given without complaint (as I expected far less), but I'm reminded why it's never a good idea to let someone pick their own punishement.

Furioso

Jun 16, 2009
mjc0961 said:
...Did he just say inFamous is a high quality game?!

Last time I checked, high quality games don't have mediocre, dreadfully bland third person shooter gameplay, terrible characters, an even more terrible plot, and some of the worst "choices" ever offered inside a game.

But anyway, as I just got done saying in another thread, I don't care about the list of free games being mostly old stuff that all the loyal fans likely already have and is partially designed to get people to spend more money. I never wanted free games from them anyway and am happy to not download any of them or use any of the PS+ subscription.
Eh Infamous is one of my favorite PS3 games but that's your opinion bro

OT: My only problem is that they are giving different games to different regions, and I want some of the games they are giving away in other places, not that I won't take whats being offered, but the choices should be available to all

Stevepinto3

Jun 4, 2009
I don't think Sony is in a position to be stingy about trying to get back into their customer's good graces. While they're obviously trying, the free month of PS+ feels kind of like a trick, like they're hoping people will want to keep the service after the month is over to turn a profit. Not that I can blame a company for trying to make money, but still. Doesn't seem that altruistic.

Dr. wonderful

Dec 31, 2009
...I already have Infamous, LBP is for me!

I have PSN + so does that mean My subscription ends on january 25?

Icehearted

Jul 14, 2009
Frostbite3789 said:
Icehearted said:
because Sony was asleep at the helm.
Because you work at Sony and know all of their security measures, right? I mean, otherwise that'd be an incredibly ridiculous claim to make, since you'd have now more knowledge on the matter than anyone else.
No, I'm sure being on top of things is exactly why so many accounts were hacked. Obviously I'm mistaken since this is exactly what happens when people are vigilant and not at all complacent.

andrewfox

Nov 5, 2009
RvLeshrac said:
So... all the people complaining about people being displeased with this... your personal information and data security are worth nothing? Because that's exactly what people who already own all of the titles, most especially those who only own PSPs and not PS3s, are getting in exchange for a *complete failure* to secure account information.

Sony did nothing of value to make up for infecting systems with a rootkit, and now they've done nothing of value to make up for failing to secure confidential information. Why should they bother securing anything in the future when they have no significant long-term penalty for screwing customers?
This. For the life of me, I cannot understand SONY loyalty. Your information HAS been stolen, your credit card info may/may not have been stolen, but change it anyways, here's some free SOE games.

Note as well, inFamous and LBP. As well as all games are SOE games. inFamous 2 comes out in what, a month? LBP 2 has been out for a little while right?

Excellent marketing strategy.

viranimus

Thread killer
Nov 20, 2009
Well, Im not complaining, hell, im torn between what i will choose.

But I do respect that the options are somewhat limited.

A friend of mine suggested that they would have done well to made available any of the PSclassic titles. Along with what was offered, that would have been more than enough variety to please just about anyone i think.

Nigh Invulnerable

Jan 5, 2009
Sniper Team 4 said:
Dear Sony,

I hereby demand a gold plated car that MAKES gasoline as I drive it, therefore I never have to fill up again. I also require every PS3 game I buy from now until doomsday to be free, and YOU should pay ME for playing them (lucky for you, the doomsday is this Saturday). I also request that you track down every one of the hackers who did this and send them straight to Hell in the most painful way imaginable. Finally, you must watch all my credit accounts until the day I die, making sure that no one steals my stuff.

Sincerely,

Unreasonable.

Honestly, I'm just happy I have my PSN back. And I've always wanted to check out Dead Nation, so I'm good.
Yeah, I'm just happy to not have it always trying to log on and failing. Likewise, I like getting free games. I'm one of the few PS3 owners who only owns 2 games total, Little Big Planet and Red Dead Redemption, so this is just dandy.

andrewfox

Nov 5, 2009
To be honest, I'm more interested in what SONY is offering to insure something like this never happens again. Someone mentioned a "Identity Theft Protection Plan" is going to be enacted. I've yet to see evidence of this.

This is kind of funny. I remember when this debacle first started, a user posted a scenario that SONY could or would use to remedy the situation.

"Either Sony will be able to unequivocally prove that they didn?t leak nearly as much data as they might have, or they?ll have to crack open the Sony coffers and pour money on the problem until it goes away."

It's obviously the latter.

liquidsolid

Feb 18, 2011
I'm a playstation owner, and I've never bought either inFamous or Little Big Planet despite hearing that they were good games. I'm glad I didn't cause now I have them for free.

I didn't have my credit card info in the PSN AND I rarely (if ever) play online. Completely unaffected, and rewarded. WINNING.

Stako

Apr 2, 2011
I'm satysfied with the offered titles too. I expected cheap titles, I admit, but I'm happy I was wrong.
The people complaining are probobly people that have stolen CC numbers, or, Odin forbid - stolen money. Or are just little annoying trolls that dont understand the 'more is never enough' concept as well as they would wish.

theultimateend

Nov 1, 2007
Chibz said:
People are HONESTLY complaining about receiving FREE games?

Maybe they should learn: don't look at gift horse in the mouth.
I wish Sony would stop bending over.

Shit happens, its over, if people aren't trying to crush BP for destroying a coastline or the bankers for robbing the entire dang country then Sony should just calm the hell down.

What they did is a pittance compared to what a half dozen other major companies have done in the last 2 years.

Dear god...people act like they stole their daughters and started a Harem or something.

Firehound

is a trap!
Nov 22, 2010
"Here at Sony, I just finished playing a game of Dwarf Fortress, and had an Idea. Have some games, it'll offset the unhappy thought of your identity theft issue we are responsible for."

Noooo. I can't see why people would be angry. Not at all. I mean, seriously. Free games. Definately not inadequate compared to the definate loss of PERSONAL INFORMATION. /sarcasm