Sony Defends "Welcome Back" Reward Choices

Assassin Xaero

Jul 23, 2008
So is the PSN store back up yet, or is this still going off the announcement?

Firehound said:
"Here at Sony, I just finished playing a game of Dwarf Fortress, and had an Idea. Have some games, it'll offset the unhappy thought of your identity theft issue we are responsible for."

Noooo. I can't see why people would be angry. Not at all. I mean, seriously. Free games. Definately not inadequate compared to the definate loss of PERSONAL INFORMATION. /sarcasm
Would you rather have... nothing? They can't change the past and fix the fact that they got hacked. Germany can't go back in time and stop Hitler, either. Shit happens, and at least they are showing some feelings and compensating a little for it.

Discord

Monk of Tranquility
Nov 1, 2009
It's one thing if they are complaining because They don't like the games or want more, If PS3 Users are doing that then shame on them.

But think about the PS3 users that have lost Credit Card information and had there identities and bank accounts compromised and were used illegally. I think (only the honest ones who Lost money or more) they have a right to be a little sour that all they were offered were a few free games. I'm sure some compensation is being handled outside of what Sony can do but still;

Complaining is like sitting in a rocking chair; it gives you something to do but you never get anywhere... write that down.
- Van Wilder

zelda2fanboy

Oct 6, 2009
vansau said:
I definitely would've been far less grumpy about having to cancel my credit cards if I'd gotten a free copy of something like <a href=http://www.amazon.com/God-War-III-Playstation-3/dp/B000ZK9QCS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1305682863&sr=8-1>God of War III.
Really? You canceled your credit cards? Why? You do know you are not liable for any unauthorized charges on your credit card, right? They have fraud departments for that, and even then, the only reason they'd cancel it is if you got fraudulent charges and the account was compromised. Generally, if something weird comes up, the company gives you a call about it immediately to see if you really did it, or they stop the transaction from going through in the first place. Happened to my parents one time when they attempted to donate to a charitable web site. Personally opting to unnecessarily cancel your credit cards is your business, not Sony's.

StarCecil

Feb 28, 2010
zelda2fanboy said:
vansau said:
I definitely would've been far less grumpy about having to cancel my credit cards if I'd gotten a free copy of something like <a href=http://www.amazon.com/God-War-III-Playstation-3/dp/B000ZK9QCS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1305682863&sr=8-1>God of War III.
Really? You canceled your credit cards? Why? You do know you are not liable for any unauthorized charges on your credit card, right? They have fraud departments for that, and even then, the only reason they'd cancel it is if you got fraudulent charges and the account was compromised. Generally, if something weird comes up, the company gives you a call about it immediately to see if you really did it, or they stop the transaction from going through in the first place. Happened to my parents one time when they attempted to donate to a charitable web site. Personally opting to unnecessarily cancel your credit cards is your business, not Sony's.
Guarding my personal information in the first place is Sony's business. Besides which, it's always recommended that you cancel your credit cards if you experience possible identity theft, especially seeing as many credit card companies only cover fraudulent charges up to a certain amount.

CM156_v1legacy

Revelation 9:6
Mar 23, 2011
... Why is it that not a week ago we wanted Sony crucified for this, and now we seem to be welcoming them in with open arms? Just seems funny to me.

Anyways, the games on the list don't impress me, but then again, I don't own a PS3.

Vigilantis

Jan 14, 2010
Meh...I wanted to try Infamous and I needed a few more PSP games so this is an acceptable compensation. I understand that others who own all said games are in sense getting nothing but truely they are correct...they have 77million players and there is no way they will please them all.

To be honest though I wouldn't have minded Chrono Cross PS1 download...they are usually what $15?

People will complain one way or another, I'm just glad that I haven't a single game from the list.

evilstonermonkey

Oct 26, 2009
Little Big Planet is the only game on the list I am all that interested in and I already own it(I'll probably pick my two freebies at random), but to see LBP on there made me happy. While the majority of people have probabl played it already, anyone that hasn't already should.

zelda2fanboy

Oct 6, 2009
StarCecil said:
Guarding my personal information in the first place is Sony's business. Besides which, it's always recommended that you cancel your credit cards if you experience possible identity theft, especially seeing as many credit card companies only cover fraudulent charges up to a certain amount.
And hello wikipedia - "If the physical card is not lost or stolen, but rather just the credit card account number itself is stolen, then Federal Law guarantees card holders have zero liability to the credit card issuer.[14]" That's US law, by the way - emphasis on the zero liability part. Sony has said there is no evidence of credit card theft and confirmed it with third party investigators. http://blog.us.playstation.com/2011/04/27/qa-1-for-playstation-network-and-qriocity-services/
The credit card data set was encrypted and the security codes were not stored on the system.

And also, "it's always recommended that you cancel your credit cards if you experience possible identity theft." Says who? Personally, I'm more curious to see if anyone does try to fraudulently use my card as a result of this. Seeing as how I have "zero liability" and I look at my statements, it would be neat to be the first confirmed case of PSN-related fraud. But I suspect it ain't gonna happen. Not that I'm a huge Michael Pachter fan, but he made just about the only thorough and sensible response to this whole thing that anybody has done.

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/episode-215-pach-attack/713901

Bags159

Mar 11, 2011
Frostbite3789 said:
This reminds of when Riot handed out 350 RP (the currency you have to buy with real world money) in League of Legends after some server instability and people complained. They complained about being handed money.

So many gamers are so damn entitled it's sick.
Well, in the community's defense you can't buy much with 350. But yeah, RIOT didn't even need to give it out so whatever.

I look forward to getting me some free games tomorrow.

Chibz

Sep 12, 2008
Cliff_m85 said:
It seems like they're trying to get newbs into the PS3 with the game offerings. I mean, offering Little Big Planet? Who DOESN'T have that already? Most of the games are games most people already own. That's confusing to me.
I don't own any of those games. I, for one, am excited about the prospect of free games.

mrdude2010

Aug 6, 2009
Chibz said:
People are HONESTLY complaining about receiving FREE games?

Maybe they should learn: don't look at gift horse in the mouth.
i'm gonna say that perhaps having the possibility of your information being stolen with the hassle of potentially fixing your credit rating, and dealing with any other potential identity theft problems, in addition to the near month PSN was down when they were still paying for it may have irked some people, and the free month of PS+ where anything you download gets taken away unless you keep paying for the service probably seems like a cheap attempt to get more people to subscribe to some people, so i can understand the ire, but ah well.

Beautiful End

Feb 15, 2011
Alright, alright. Like I said before, if I want to be a prick about it, I guess I would say I would have preferred to get credit to buy any game I wanted (And maybe even add some more from my pocket if its not enough) than to choose from the list of games we were given.

But I'm not gonna be a prick. Sony screwed up, at least they're trying to make it up to us in a good way and that's all good with me. Hey, just because the free games were released ages ago doesn't mean they're not good! Has anyone forgotten about Little Big Planet and how it was so good that it even ended up with a Game of the Year edition? Or maybe how inFamous reached Greatest Hits level and has a sequel on its way? Or how Wipeout is a great classic and precursor of some crazy racing games out there? Come on, people! Don't be greedy or ungrateful! I'm aware our personal info was compromised but...ok, out of everyone in here, who has had their identity stolen? Or who has received weird charges to their credit card? I'm not saying its all forgotten but, again, at least Sony is trying.

To be honest, I wasn't expecting anything from Sony other than an apology. I mean, for a big company, that just got attacked, to give away not one, but TWO games per customer, is a big deal. But us customers will never be satisfied. We get LBP, we ask for God of War. We get GoW, we ask for Black Ops. We get BlOps and we ask for Modern Warfare 3 and so on.

I also am indifferent to PSN+. I'll probably check it out once I get it for free but that's it. For now, I'm glad PSN is at least trying to make it up to us with games that ARE fun, nonetheless. Hey, just be glad we're not getting lame/unpopular/boring games like 50 Cents: Blood on the Sand or...The Bible Game. And admit it, whether you agree or not with Sony's gifts, we're STILL gonna grab those games for free, huh? Yeah, so much for that unreasonable anger against Sony. *Glare*

TilMorrow

Diabolical Party Member
Jul 7, 2010
I forget. Are you allowed to only download one of the five games? Or all five?

bobman500

Dec 5, 2007
Perhaps, as many have said, it would have been more sensible to offer us a certain about of stor or PSN credit, but I'm certainly not going to complain about free games. Unfortunately there are so many asses out there who think their personal loss of service was more important than the other 70-odd million users.

ChupathingyX

Jun 8, 2010
I read in some places that the "Welcome Back" rewards are for North America only.

Anyone care to clarify?

SovietX

Sep 8, 2009
I was hoping to keep some of the free PS+ ps1 games but oh well.

I wouldn't mind snagging InFamous and Wipeout but I dont even have enough room on my PS3 hard drive. I guess I could just add them to my account and get them later...