Sony Defends "Welcome Back" Reward Choices

Mechanix

Dec 12, 2009
The only rational complaint anyone could really have is that Sony is trying to make up for security flaws by giving us shiny new toys. Even then, what else could they have done?

Seriously, Infamous and LittleBigPlanet are both probably $20 at gamestop. Sony is basically giving us $40 worth of entertainment right there. Even that is much, much more than anyone should be asking for.

gibboss28

Feb 2, 2008
Truthfully I'd rather have had a full explanation as to how this shit happened rather than a couple of free games. Don't get me wrong, its nice that they're trying to make up for it but its not enough to get me using their online service again.

Silva

Apr 13, 2009
I have to say it's a non-gift in my terms since I see no point in getting a game for 30 days. I only like to own them.

Sure if it's a short game that I'd never play again... I'd... still not want it.

Sorry, don't see the point in this "reward".

More could have been done, but I understand it's business, Sony isn't about to hurt its pockets to keep its loosely potential customers on PSN.

Doesn't mean we should all be sniveling idiots and LIKE it.

funkzillabot

Dec 10, 2009
Duh. What else were they going to say, "We bought you all Mazerites"? Look I'm pissed too, but this is probably the best we're going to get. So we might as well make the best of it and move on.

GestaltEsper

Oct 11, 2009
Silva said:
I have to say it's a non-gift in my terms since I see no point in getting a game for 30 days. I only like to own them.

Sure if it's a short game that I'd never play again... I'd... still not want it.

More could have been done, but I understand it's business, Sony isn't about to hurt its pockets to keep its loosely potential customers on PSN.

...You do own the game. You have 30 days to pick two to download.

The_Blue_Rider

Sep 4, 2009
To everyone complaining, what else is Sony going to give you? Increased security, thats a given seeing as thats why it was down so long. Newer games? Yes that wouldnt have cost them Millions upon millions of dollars right? Not to mention it would massively piss off any of their fans who may have bought the game at full price. If you ask me these were perfect games for welcome back. Theyre all generally accepted to be rather good, they wont cost Sony too much, and whilst being popular, they arent massively popular, meaning that a whole new audience can experience them

Chibz

Sep 12, 2008
UrKnightErrant said:
Ummm... You do understand that expression is a warning AGAINST blindly accepting free shit, right?
Actually, no.

Don't look a gift horse in the mouth's meaning: Don't be ungrateful when you receive a gift.

How does it mean this?

As horses age their teeth begin to project further forward each year and so their age can be estimated by checking how prominent the teeth are. This incidentally is also the source of another teeth/age related phrase - long in the tooth.

The advice given in the 'don't look...' proverb is: when given a present, be grateful for your good fortune and don't look for more by examining it to assess its value.
This was Chibz, educating people as a community service. And being pretty sexy while doing so.

fenrizz

Feb 7, 2009
Personally I loved this gift.

I already own LBP, but my kids have scratched it, so that is awesome.

And Ratchet and Clank I have not played since my PS2 days.

Looking pretty good there Sony:)

Chibz

Sep 12, 2008
Thedek said:
Not really. If you look a horse in the mouth that you were given as a gift it means that you do not trust the gift giver to give you a healthy horse.

I don't trust Sony at this particular juncture and look at that, it seems my horse HAS NO TEETH.

Also I find as a cynic that, that particular axiom/proverb(?) doesn't really apply to me anyway as it is in my nature to distrust everyone but my closest friends, and I have like maybe three of those.
At this point you're arguing against the basic meaning of the proverb, and nothing remains to be said.

Although I still don't see what's less than valid about this array of games. Most of them are incredibly enjoyable. If you don't want them, you're more than free to not download them.

Sony owes us nothing. We just have a very baffling (to me at least) sense of entitlement.

pha kin su pah

Mar 26, 2008
Kinda dissappointed that you lose your PS+ downloads after a month, but i guess theres a positive to having several accounts.

Dudeio

Wat.
Feb 8, 2009
Do you really lose all of the Playstation Pluss content downloaded during that 30 day subscription??? My friend says that it isn't how Playstation Pluss works, that his friend kept his stuff after. Maybe they're doing this just 'cause they give it free??

Skops

Mar 9, 2010
Well I already own InFamous, and while I had no intrest in buying Dead Nation; I'm more than happy to pick it up for free :D..

WipeOut HD + Dead Nation for free?

That'll do pig. That'll do.

Night Harlequin

May 24, 2010
I'm sorry but I have a hard time seeing this as sony giving us free games. It's more like a free month trial for PS+. If you want to keep playing the games after that you're gonna have to pay a subscription.

Silva

Apr 13, 2009
GestaltEsper said:
Silva said:

...You do own the game. You have 30 days to pick two to download.
Then I misread. Oh well.

Pendragon9

Apr 26, 2009
I think we've all been through enough. People have to stop hating Sony because "blah blah soulless corporation" and all that.

They're doing everything possible to compensate people for their situation. People who want more are just being greedy.