Sony Details "Make Good" Plan for DC Universe Online

Mouse One

Jan 22, 2011
Gah. Great, my credit card info is potentially compromised and I get...a mask. Okay, the extra month is being decent about things, but I'm going to have to hope that others are still going to show up.

Seriously, DCUO is a really really fun game. I'm totally into the action MMO concept, and there's some fantastic environmental design (yeah, two cities. But the alerts take you elsewhere, so hey). Decent writing, too, even if the overall "Exobyte" storyline is more than a tad weak.

But Sony has completely and utterly mismanaged the game from day one. What they really need to do is just offer a free intro month, maybe F2P until level ten, or heck, just a freaking demo. That ain't going to happen, though. At least not with a marketing team that is mostly worried about rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic.

Fatal-X

Feb 17, 2010
Because of this whole PSN situation I can't even register for DCUO, I'm waiting for days now... Think that they will get me those 30 days for free if I register a day or two after it's online again?

Yeah, probably not. F... :x

Steelskull

Apr 4, 2010
I'm a bit confused here, i haven't had an open sub since the game was first release and till about a month after that, but I assume my information was still on file. Anyone know if I still get a free month?

Phishfood

Jul 21, 2009
Steelskull said:
I'm a bit confused here, i haven't had an open sub since the game was first release and till about a month after that, but I assume my information was still on file. Anyone know if I still get a free month?
I'm gonna go ahead and guess that sony are going to give every account on record 30+ days. I suppose they could only give it to "active" accounts, but it just makes no sense to do that.

Mouse One

Jan 22, 2011
Selvec said:
And when DC: Online comes back up Sony will make it Free to Play, thus giving you all your free days.
You know what? As someone who paid full price for the game, I'd still welcome that. I know it would grind a lot of gears for some guys, but bottom line, DCUO needs to stop hemmoraging players (also needs more end game content, but that's a secondary issue).

TimeLord75

Sep 3, 2009
As an individual who would not give his last $1 to Sony if they were a reputable dealer of firehoses and his house was already ablaze, how *is* DCUO faring these days (pre-Crash, that is)? I seem to recall everyone was calling it the potential City of Heroes killer, but...?

Disclaimer: I played CoH for ~5 years, finally left when I realized that I had seen everything the game had or potentially ever would have to offer. DCUO has my interest, but again: Sony.

Geminel

Mar 29, 2009
TimeLord75 said:
As an individual who would not give his last $1 to Sony if they were a reputable dealer of firehoses and his house was already ablaze, how *is* DCUO faring these days (pre-Crash, that is)? I seem to recall everyone was calling it the potential City of Heroes killer, but...?

Disclaimer: I played CoH for ~5 years, finally left when I realized that I had seen everything the game had or potentially ever would have to offer. DCUO has my interest, but again: Sony.
The game has improved since release. There are things to like and things not to like. It's short, and low on content for an MMO at a brisk 30 levels. It has plenty of raids and missions to grind on once you get there, but it is without question grinding.

I enjoy that it is one of the few MMO games to actually have something approaching a real combat system. In some hectic fights when you're trying to chain-juggle enemies with weapon attacks, while spacing it out with large damage super moves it can almost feel like God of War online, because the fighting really has that feel to it.

It's an excellent casual MMO, but bugs and exploit issues at initial release caused the population to drop off severely. I will go so far to say that you can at least tell that the developers if this game made it with a deep love and respect for the source material, and work hard to represent the best parts of the DC world in great detail.