Sony Engineering Director Leads a PS4 Teardown

Sep 9, 2007
1337mokro said:
"You can replace the HDD with a bigger one"

And instantly lose my warranty... I don't think you thought that one through entirely. Maybe have an access hatch for the HDD so we CAN swap them and don't have to break the seals that void the warranty.
If its anything like the PS3, there will be. It looked as though there was a section of the case that could be removed to reveal only the hard drive bay, though I could be wrong.

vallorn

Tunnel Open, Communication Open.
Nov 18, 2009
1337mokro said:
"You can replace the HDD with a bigger one"

And instantly lose my warranty... I don't think you thought that one through entirely. Maybe have an access hatch for the HDD so we CAN swap them and don't have to break the seals that void the warranty.
Swapping hard drives in the PS3 didn't void warranty. I specifically checked this with their tech support before I did so.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
This looks remarkably easily dissassembled. i had way more trouble dissapsembling laptops when in some models you actually need to fish for wires though holes in the shield plate in order not to snap them. It looks made for easy assembly and dissasembly. Though the "only 4 screws at the back" and the snap sound when he tok off the cover makes me thing it has that plastic snap on tightenings. you know, the things that break apart after your first disassembly and leave you with floppy tops.

Dr.Awkward said:
Is it just me, or does anyone else notice how...spacious the motherboard is?
Well, the motherboard acts as a Wifi Antenna as well. Also it seems to be sort of hlding frame for all other parts. ANd lets not forget that GPU and Ram is integrated within when in regualr PCs they are taggen on top of motherboard. Also more spaceous design allows easier cooling, which is very important in small high power boxes. To be honest it doesnt look that much bigger than my laptops motherboard.

Vivi22 said:
Internal power supplies in next gen consoles bother me. Let's take something built to be as small as possible making adequate air cooling difficult and stick the hottest part of it inside the case. Now granted, even when you don't have the power supply in the case, thing's can still be prone to overheating such as with the 360, or you can have them internal, produce a ton of heat, but be sturdy enough to take it like the PS3 usually was, but it just seems like a silly design choice to me.

Take them out, make the console smaller, cut down on the overall heat being produced inside the case, and make it much easier to cool so long as you haven't hired Microsoft engineers.
It shouldnt. All Paystations have been oing fine with them. As well as all PCs for decades have been fine with them. Theres really nothing wrong with internal pwoer supply.
The reason such supplies are outside for laptops is usually becuase laptops are made too slim for them. PS4 had to be high enough anyway for other parts, from the position you could ahve maaybe have 5 centimeters shorter, which really wont make much difference, and thne you would ahve to find an extra space for the power supply, and thats annoying.

Apr 5, 2008
Now the real question....how long before it's modded by hackers? The PS3 lasted for years, something no other system to date managed AFAIK. Often one of the most compelling reasons to get a console at launch is that the earlier models tend to be the most exploitable.

BTW, talking about modding, not piracy which is generally legal in most countries (except under DMCA in the US).

X86 is a good move for developers. Lack of changeable hard drives is a step backward. I wonder how long we'll get out of this gen and what kind of treats we can expect. Hopefully bigger zones, better AI, bodies that don't disappear after 2 seconds and better textures at the very least.

LittleMikey

Renegade
Aug 31, 2009
I am quite impressed that Sony did this. They know full well that videos like this will be made roughly three minutes after the first PS4s get sent out, so they are showing that they have nothing to hide.

praetor_alpha

LOL, Canada!
Mar 4, 2010
Dr.Awkward said:
Is it just me, or does anyone else notice how...spacious the motherboard is?
Nope. As soon as I saw it, I noted its emptiness. Looks like Sony might have forgot about three things.