Sony Exec Blasts Microsoft for Content Policy

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Sony Exec Blasts Microsoft for Content Policy

Sony's SVP of publisher relations says that Microsoft is stifling creativity in order to protect its "inferior technology."

Sony executive Rob Dyer says that Microsoft's content policy [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/112562-Microsoft-Doesnt-Want-Sonys-Sloppy-Seconds], where Microsoft reserves the right not to allow content on the Xbox 360 if it isn't as good as versions on other systems, is kicking the "living crap" out of publishers.

Dyer said that while Microsoft claimed it was trying to do what was best for its customers, what it was actually doing was protecting an "inferior technology" by making developers think twice about creating special content for the PS3. "If you want to do anything for Blu-Ray, or you have extra content above nine gigs, or you want to do anything of that nature, you'd better sure as heck remember that Microsoft can't handle that," Dyer said.

"So from a creativity standpoint and what we are doing to try to make it better for the consumer, our view is Microsoft's doing everything they can to eliminate that because they have an inferior [console]," he added. "I just wanted to make it clear from Chris Lewis' comment last week and the fact that he's saying, 'Well, this is great for consumers,' and that they're going to protect their consumers. I think that that is an admirable stance to take. That being said, while they might be protecting their consumers, what are they protecting them from? And what it looks like they're protecting them from is the ability to see great content show up on a superior technology."

Predictably, he said that things were different over on Sony's side of the fence, where publishers and developers had a lot more freedom. He said that Sony did not require PSN developers to jump through the various hoops that Microsoft had set up for XBLA. He said that Sony wanted to be inclusive rather than restrictive when it came to dealing with publishers and developers, and pointed to its deals with Valve and CCP as examples of how its policy was paying off.

Now, I'd never suggest that Microsoft's policy doesn't come across as restrictive, and it's no secret that Microsoft's closed strategy for Xbox Live has meant that gamers have lost out on content over the years, but Dyer's comments read like a slightly more literate version of the PS3 fanboy posts you see on forums all over the internet. Obviously, he's going to say the PS3 is the best console around, but there's a world of difference between saying "the PS3 is more open," and "the PS3 is more open, and Microsoft is deliberately stifling creativity because it's scared the 360 can't compete." Of course, this isn't the first time Sony has pounced on an opportunity to trash talk the competition in order to make the PS3 look better, which is sad, because the PS3 has more than enough going for it to stand on its own merits.

Source: Industry Gamers [http://www.industrygamers.com/news/sony-publishers-are-getting-the-living-crap-kicked-out-of-them-by-microsoft/]

Jadak

Nov 4, 2008
I swear I saw an article that was almost exactly this several years ago...

wooty

Vi Britannia
Aug 1, 2009
I agree with some things, and I disagree with some things.

I agree with the fact that the limitations on DVD disk space can hold back graphics/engine/content advances, but I disagree with the way he said it as this will innevitably breed continue a lot of fan-rage and pointless geek arguments for the next few weeks.

josemlopes

Jun 9, 2008
So basicly he just wanted to say that the 360 is weaker? Multiple games are PS3 exclusive, if someone wants to make a game that the Xbox cant handle then do it exclusively on the PS3, it would probably end up beeing cheaper since they would work only for one system. I dont see what Microsoft has to do with anything here.

MarkDavis94

Jan 12, 2011
God when will EA stop bashing on Activi... Oh wait,

The guy says Xbox is the inferior console PS3 is better blah blah blah, but if the PS3 is so much better why aren't the PS3 exclusive games astoundingly better than cross platform games?

uguito-93

This space for rent
Jul 16, 2009
cant we go one week without one company claiming how shit one of their competitors is? I've lost count how many times its happened in the past year.

Nashidar

Jun 2, 2010
If he actually phrased this better in a way that would actually make Microsoft sit up and take notice that would've been awesome.

Unfortunately, that's not the case.

I would love to see Microsoft bring out a new generation console (Xbox 360 Slim does not count as that's just a refresh of the original Xbox 360) that could take Blu Ray.

I love my 360 but there are definite limitations caused by the hardware.

These limitations restrict the software as well.

Its in Microsoft's own best interest to bring out a new generation console.

RedEyesBlackGamer

The Killjoy Detective returns!
Jan 23, 2011
Agree with his points about the content policy being detrimental to the industry, disagree with his other points.

Sizzle Montyjing

Pronouns - Slam/Slammed/Slammin'
Apr 5, 2011
It's pretty clear that SONY are pissed about the fact that Microsoft are not allowing for full use of the PS3 software on multi-platform games, because it do think that the PS3 has better software.

Rex Fallout

Oct 5, 2010
MarkDavis94 said:

The guy says Xbox is the inferior console PS3 is better blah blah blah, but if the PS3 is so much better why aren't the PS3 exclusive games astoundingly better than cross platform games?
It's a matter of opinion on what is 'better'. Personally I think Uncharted, Infamous, and Resistance are all better than Call of Duty or whatever other multiplatform game you want to mention.

I hate to say it because I will sound like a fan boy but Sony has a point. Microsoft needs to stop acting like a child. They'll refuse to market the game if they don't get something better than the competition? No wonder Sony never gets the map packs early for Call of Duty.

MarkDavis94

Jan 12, 2011
Rex Fallout said:
MarkDavis94 said:

It's a matter of opinion on what is 'better'. Personally I think Uncharted, Infamous, and Resistance are all better than Call of Duty or whatever other multiplatform game you want to mention.

I hate to say it because I will sound like a fan boy but Sony has a point. Microsoft needs to stop acting like a child. They'll refuse to market the game if they don't get something better than the competition? No wonder Sony never gets the map packs early for Call of Duty.
I see your point and believe me I'm not shitting on PS3 exclusives, I do think that they are good games, but I've never been on a PS3 exclusive and then been dissapointed with cross platform games. A lot of cross platform games are amazing, and to say that Microsoft are stopping people from being creative is a bit far. Sure Sony may not be able to put on better graphics but that doesn't stop creativity

Australian Justice
Jan 30, 2010
I agree with the content policy stuff because i think Microsoft is way too tightarse with it but to hell with it I'm going their, If Microsoft is the one with inferior technology, then why was it Sony the one that was easily hacked? if i had to pick between the two, i'll go with the one that protects personal info. but then again anything can be hacked. sort of defeated my own statement there. crap.

zabour

Apr 21, 2011
His points are valid although the way he said it made him sound like a fanboy dick.

I'm glad somone is finally calling microsoft out, though. Every one of their statements (in recent times) has made me want to pound pointy things into my eyes.

"We don't want sonys sloppy seconds"
"handhelds are bad"
"core gamers like kinect"

Lol microsoft...

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
BU-BU-BU-BUUUUUUURRRRRRNNNNNN

See, I've gotten so jaded with execs talking smack to each other that I just love it when they do. It's a hoot of a time, as far as I'm concerned.

Here's hoping Microsoft responds to this with some scathing remarks of their own! It's good to have a healthy piss-off once in a while, no?

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
You know, I actually sort of agree with him, but it's not like companies have never had to cut corners for the Sony version of a game.

Besides, games have come out on multiple DVDs before. While I'm not in favour of this approach, it certainly demonstrates that the DVD 9 size is not a format destroyer. Not to mention, Sony claimed to have had games reach capcity for a BD years ago. Doesn't that mean even they are forcing content limits? I mean, surely they wouldn't have lied or padded the content to make that claim...

It's also a little funny, because if Microsoft launches an updated console, you know they'll blast them for that, too. Not that the policy ISN'T a bit stupid, mind. I don't want to defend Microsoft so much as I am amused at some of the nuances of these claims.

JeanLuc761

Sep 22, 2009
MarkDavis94 said:

They usually are better, actually. God of War 3, Uncharted 2, the Ratchet & Clank series, Killzone 2 and 3 etc simply would not be possible on the Xbox 360, and they are all phenomenally good games.

FreakSheet

Jul 16, 2011
Hey Sony, do you want to get hacked again so you can eat more Humble Pie? Because right now your ego still seems to be about twice as large as the entire universe.

EDIT: And weaker hardware = less creativity? Bullcrap. Graphics don't mean anything Sony. Would Okami be better in 1080p? Would Minecraft be more popular if it wasn't as blocky?