Sony Exec Praises Nintendo, Owns Two Wii U's

Baldr

The Noble
Jan 6, 2010
Neronium said:
Baldr said:
Except it will never happen without a lot of money involved. Nintendo won't work with Sony over the PlayStation One. Nintendo hired Sony to create a console that worked off of CDs. Sony pretty much broke the contract with Nintendo and created the PlayStation, leaving Nintendo to start from scratch. (Well not exactly from scratch, they "stole" the N64's design from Sega with a company called SGI.)
Um, you have it backwards. Nintendo broke the contract with Sony and went with Phillips and created the Phillips CD-I, after Sony had already spent lots of money on R&D for Nintendo. Sony got burned and then made the PS1 after everything they had learned since Nintendo screwed them. Here's what really happened, the Playstation was the name of the SNES-CD for Nintendo, but because Nintendo went with Phillips Sony pretty much released the console themselves after the courts settled and the rest is history, as Nintendo's dominance on the home console market ended.
Basically it was licensing issues, and one thing you shouldn't do is then go and negotiate a better with the competition while you are currently in a contract.
Nintendo never broke the contract. Re-read the wiki article: "Eventually Sony dropped its partnership with Nintendo and developed its own console independently"

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
Baldr said:
Nintendo never broke the contract. Re-read the wiki article: "Eventually Sony dropped its partnership with Nintendo and developed its own console independently"
And if you read more into the article you will see how "At the June 1991 Consumer Electronics Show, Sony announced its SNES-compatible cartridge/CD console, the "Play Station". The next day, Nintendo revealed its partnership with Philips via a surprise announcement at the show."
That is what we like to call a dick move in real life, so while you are right that Nintendo didn't break contract, what they did was very stupid and it's no wonder that Sony tried going out on their own with the PS1 after the court settlements and everything were done.

Also, here's the Edge article about the who debacle as well.
The article states that Nintendo did breach contract, and found loopholes around some of the legal issues surrounding it.

EyeReaper

Aug 17, 2011
You know, after those other articles of "This former sony exec hates nintendo" and "That one guy from Naughty Dog says the Wii U sucks" this is a nice turn of events. This is why Playstation will always be second best in my eyes.

MrMixelPixel

Jul 7, 2010
This is real nice to see! Although, if most people who played games were as rich as this guy, I'm sure they would also have a Wii U or two as well.

Still though, real nice to see.

Simalacrum

Resident Juggler
Apr 17, 2008
Tooooo be fair, its easy to compliment your competition when you're destroying them in the market... :p

AzrealMaximillion

Jan 20, 2010
Covarr said:
Dr.Awkward said:
how many times can Nintendo afford a rocky start?
You might be surprised. The 3DS got off to an incredibly rocky start, but now has sold more units than the DS had at the same point in its lifetime.

Nintendo's got so much money in the bank that they could do nothing but fail for two or three generations straight, on all platforms, and still survive. Keep in mind that the only console they ever made that actually lost them money in the long run was the Virtual Boy; even so-called failures such as the awful-selling GameCube made more profit than they cost in manufacturing or R&D. A rocky start is nothing, as long as they can make it up later in the device's lifetime the way the 3DS has.

P.S. Thanks
The 3DS is outselling the DS due to the massive price cut it got 6 months after launch. The price cut that lost Nintendo a lot of money.

Also, Nintendo can't fail for 2-3 generations straight on the console side and survive. They don't have the 3rd party software support to make that possible.

The Wii U is the only current gen console selling at a loss and doesn't have the library of games to make those losses up.

Nintendo's at a point where a Mario game can't sell a console and the first LoZ game the console will game is going to be a Dynasty Warriors spinoff.

AzrealMaximillion

Jan 20, 2010
slash2x said:
This only goes to fule what I have been saying for a while. It is Nintendo and Sony against Microsoft. They have different markets and accept this. In typical Micro$oft fashion the think they should have all the market for everthing.
It's looked pretty much like Sony Vs MS at E3 to me...

Chris Ingersoll

Jun 21, 2013
Neronium said:
Chris Ingersoll said:
Seems like a decent guy. It's a shame that he had his head crushed by Bill Gates at a Red Robin in Colorado on Black Friday (Dec 6th).
I feel...like there is a lot of context that I am missing when it comes to your post. Care to elaborate?
Mainly because now I'm curious.
It was a plot point in recent South Park episodes. ;)