Sony Expects Most PS2 Users to Move onto PS3

TheKbob

Jul 15, 2008
I remember in about 2003~2004 time period, I woke up one day, looked at my PS2 w/ 19+ games and accessories... and said F it. I traded it all into Gamestop on a day when two deals overlapped and got $500+ store credit and left with a new Xbox, 9 games (all hit titles), Wireless network adapter, Xbox live, and DVD remote kit.

Never looked back. I got another PS2 to play Okami and a few others then sold it again. I'm going to way til they are around the $50 mark and get one for Persona 3 & 4 (if they don't get ported to the PSP, cmon PSP ports).

Not a fanboy,... I PC game, own a PSP, but for home consoles, the 360 is most obvious choice for the home gamer unless you are caught up on some of the Sony series,... but a 12 hour long God of War game and MGS4 (which could still come over,... *glances at FFXIII*) and several other games delayed over and over, plus the over compensation of first party shooters (Warhawk, Killzone, Resistance, MAG, and Socom)... Higher cost and shoving hardware that is un-needed just to bolster sales to their movie department... no thank you.

Sorry, Sony has lied quite a damn bit this gen and expected us to quote "Take a second job just to afford one" or criticized MS for their BC direction... which I would rather have limited now instead of chopping it away until it's gone.

Used to be huge Sony fan, PSone amazing RPGs, PS2 great variety, PSP awesome handheld...

F The PS3.

TheKbob

Jul 15, 2008
Indigo_Dingo said:
I'm gonna pull out those 3 words again.
Folding @ Home.

And what the hell is overcompensation of first party shooters? Are you saying they're too good?
I'm saying that they are trying overly hard to topple Gears and Halo. Resistance was fun, but it felt completely like Halo with a splash of Perfect Dark Weapons w/ 2nd functions. It was loads of fun (brown...), but now they revive Killzone, which I'm going there: Who really asked for more of that. More Socom which is eeeh, I really don't see how anyone enjoys that mess since it was great the first time, but re-released 3 times over again with no changes. MAG is going to be a logistics nightmare and Warhawk has gone over tepid at best. 5 series of Sony effort and they still have to square off against MS offerings and third party on their own console like Bad Company and Call of Duty 4,etc.

I guess PS3 owners haven't been inundated with shooters like ... everyone else. 2007 was the year of the FPS: Bioshock, Crysis, Halo 3, Call of Duty 4, Orange Box. I played every single one and all were fantastic. All 5 had great art direction, stylization, and most important besides the gameplay elements: Color! Resistance, Killzone, Socom, and MAG all seem to suffer from a bad case of next gen browns. Not saying that Gears doesn't, but over the top gore is a soft spot for me, what can I say.

I'll continue to sample PS3 offerings. Best looking game was Uncharted, but alas too short to get me to buy more gaming hardware. Here's hoping for White Knight Story (and that it, too, ditches it's case of the browns).

Indigo_Dingo said:
Its two machines, man. It won't exactly dominate a room.
Not everyone has a myriad of space around their television sets and also lack inputs. Switches degrade quality. I know if I wanted a PS3, I Would have to swap out my Optical cable and DVI cable everytime I wanted to play if I were to purchase a PS3. Right now, it works great for me: Stupid awesome PC on DVI, 360 over VGA, PSP over component (could be PS2, if I chose).

So if I bought a PS3, I would have to switch cables all the time,... and if you don't think that's an issue, go research cable spaghetti. OR buy another receiver and/or television. No thanks.

Lt. Sera

Apr 22, 2008
I think the thought of PS2 owners switching to PS3 is correct, but the thing to be considered here is the timeframe in which they do. A friend of mine only recently bought his PS2 (cheap, small, lots of games, it is quite the catch these days), he will be picking up the PS3 the same way he did his PS2, when the thing has a lot going for it.

Sony is in for the long haul of course, so they won't mind people taking their time to buy themselves a PS3, just makes for a little less smack talk with Microsoft.

Chechosaurus

Jul 20, 2008
I'm still using my PS2 and ok, the graphics suck, the level design is often lazy and gameplay is... shall we say flawed? However, some of my favourite games are on the PS2 and the only reason I would go to PS3 is for titles like Killzone 2 (Killzone being my favourite FPS). Problem is that PS3 has very few big titles and the xBox is just being greedy so to be honest I don't think I want any of 'em, especially seeming as PS3 isn't backwards compatible if you buy it in the UK.

If I had to choose though, I would go PS3, even though at the moment its a bit sucky... Its just I can't help but be fanatically loyal to Sony.

Rotating Bread

Jul 22, 2008
Although I'm sure the PS3 will see renewed growth now that it's game line up is getting up to scratch I still can't see the millions of PS2 owners upgrading in droves. The gaming landscape has changed, sony no longer enjoys it's enormous market lead in this gen and you get the feeling they haven't quite got to grips with that. The PS3 will no doubt overtake the 360 (with the possible exception of US and UK) but with so many of their PS2 base already gone over to nintendo or MS it's difficult to see them repeating the phonomenal success of the PS2.

vatossan

Jul 23, 2008
SeaCalMaste
no actually this yr ps3 has more games and exclusives than 360 or wii,so dont talk crap FANBOY.

GloatingSwine

Nov 10, 2007
Indigo_Dingo said:
I'd say its a good bet that the majority of Ps2 users will transition to the Ps3. Even if the 360 steals 1 or 2 exclusives, the major stuff - Jak and Daxter, God of War, Metal Gear Solid - remain on the ps3.
I would say it's probably a better bet to say that most of them will transition to the wii.

See, the reason the Playstation sold so many units is because it wasn't just bought by people who played a lot of games, it was bought by everyone else as well, people who used it for stuff like Singstar, and Fifa, and bugger all else.

Those people are buying Wiis now, whether they really have an idea what to do with them or not, because they're the new must have brand.

PS3 IS NOT EXPENSIVE U PUSSIES
Compared to the competition, it is. That's all that matters. Capitalism, see?

masterem243

Jul 23, 2008
Not happening. PS3 has to come out with some good exclusives. MGSIV isn't enough of an incentive for me to invest $460 into it.

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
masterem243 said:
Not happening. PS3 has to come out with some good exclusives. MGSIV isn't enough of an incentive for me to invest $460 into it.
It's MGS4, not IV. Unlike most games nowadays it doesn't need a roman numeral to show that it's awesome.

masterem243

Jul 23, 2008
Jumplion said:
masterem243 said:
It's MGS4, not IV. Unlike most games nowadays it doesn't need a roman numeral to show that it's awesome.
Semantics. I mostly use Roman numerals when listing sequels. That whole thing is beside the point. They need more then one exclusive hit for me to be even interested in it. Why bother buying a PS3, when i can get it on XBOX 360 with a much better online system?

number2301

Apr 27, 2008
I'm still last gen, I had a PS2 a while back, sold that and got an XBox for £50 with 4 games. A second hand game will cost me a tenner. I'll move onto the next gen when I either start earning significantly more or it drops in price to at least sub-£200.

But whenever it is it will be a PS3. XBox is significantly inferior hardware. And sod paying for live.

Vincent9mm

May 11, 2008
All I can say thats fact about this is my experience. I was a dedicated Sony User (Playstation 1 and 2) for the previous two generations. I am the type of consumer who has one console per generation, always have been since I was given a Nintendo. I was debating on which system to get and working in a game store had me looking at games upcoming on all 3 systems. At first the PS3 was going to win simply for Final Fantasy XIII and Metal Gear Solid (been playing both series since they started and the max games I owned before this generation would be like 20 at a time). After playing a few X360 games at work though a lot of the exclusives at the time (Lost Planet, Overlord, and Bioshock) had me wondering if the system was a better when it came to game content. I now own 60 + games, have a 30,000 + gamerscore, and could leave behind any exclusive Sony currently has...

All I can say