Sony Explains PlayStation 4 Digital Game Sharing

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Sony Explains PlayStation 4 Digital Game Sharing

[tweet t=https://twitter.com/yosp/status/393916151417155584]​
Sharing digital games on the PlayStation 4 is just a little bit more complex than handing over a physical copy.

Sony made a pretty big deal [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/124817-PlayStation-4-Game-Sharing-This-Is-How-Its-Done] about the ease with which PlayStation 4 owners can share games back in the summer, taking full advantage of Microsoft's shockingly weak performance at E3, and it holds true as long as physical copies of games are the matter at hand. When it comes to digital titles, however, the process of sharing becomes a little more complicated.

According to a newly-posted FAQ, you can activate one PlayStation 4 console as your "primary" system, and anyone who uses it can play the games you've downloaded without requiring a login, as well as take advantage of "certain" PlayStation Plus benefits if you're a member. That much seems simple enough.

If you're on another system, however, you'll have to sign into your PlayStation Network account in order to download and play games, and the games will only run when that account is logged in. PlayStation Plus benefits will apply when you're logged into a non-primary console, but again, only on your account. You'll be allowed to use two systems concurrently: your primary console and one other.

You apparently won't be required to activate a primary system but doing so provides a number of benefits including digital game sharing as detailed above, plus the ability to preorder or purchase content through the PlayStation App and have it automatically downloaded to the console, and to connect to the PS4 with a PS Vita over the internet using Remote Play functionality.

The FAQ also notes that the PS4 will support up to 2000 friends on PSN and display them all when connected, vastly surpassing the 100 friend limit of the PS3.

Source: PlayStation [http://us.playstation.com/ps4/features/ps4-faq/]

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
You almost gave me a fucking heart attack with that subtitle there.

After that article about the PS4 day-one patch to effective make the freakin' console work, I thought this was yet another instance of Sony shitting the bed. But thankfully this is only regarding digital game sharing not the physical copies.

Doclector

Aug 22, 2009
Seems reasonable enough. We expect sharing physical games to be easy, simple because it's a physical thing, of course it shouldn't be any harder than giving the damn thing to someone else, but if we allowed that same sharing on an unlimited basis for digital products, only one person in every social group of people would ever buy anything.

However, the fact that Xbox one now has a limited way for people to share digital purchases might make things interesting.

serious biscuit

Jul 3, 2012
Man makes me kinda sad for Microsoft, it they had had better presentation and actually explained things they would on the same boat now; which is people who want to use this feature and think its cool are happy, people who have no use/want for it don't give a crap and ignore it, instead of everyone flipping their shit.

squid5580

Elite Member
Feb 20, 2008
So pretty much how the 360 works now then? I have 2 consoles in my home and I can download a game onto one and then use the second console with the account I d/led it on and run 2 copies of the game at the same time while the first one is signed into a different account.

holyshaman

May 19, 2013
steam's family share sounds a kind of better but at least the ps4 get something good instead of nothing

faefrost

Jun 2, 2010
Seems reasonable enough. No weird hoops and such. You can play your digital games on any console you are logged into, and you can be logged into 2 consoles at once. I'm actually kind of disappointed at the lack of stupidity and drama in this announcement. Haven't they been paying attention to Microsoft's steady stream of entertaining comedic materials?

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
Fair enough, seems like Sony's been learning in Valve's school on how to make reasonable DRM policies*.

[small]*Cue angry Xbone fans in 3... 2... 1...[/small]

CardinalPiggles

Jun 24, 2010
Sounds simple enough. Especially compared to Microsoft's splurge of information thrown at us. And I like the fact that it's something you don't need to worry about if you don't want to.

Saltyk

Sane among the insane.
Sep 12, 2010
I don't think this is drastically different than what the PS3 does now. Honestly, I wasn't worried. I'll probably buy most games as physical copies anyway. I just like have the discs to hold and snuggle and whatnot. Indie titles will probably be the primary things I download.

And this honestly doesn't sound different from one of the only versions I heard Microsoft was touting as their Family Sharing Plan that we would benefit from. The only other one that I actually believe being the "glorified Demo" version.

Casual Shinji said:
You almost gave me a fucking heart attack with that subtitle there.

After that article about the PS4 day-one patch to effective make the freakin' console work, I thought this was yet another instance of Sony shitting the bed. But thankfully this is only regarding digital game sharing not the physical copies.
I know the Xbone requires a Day One patch to fix all the screw ups and basically make the system work as it should have from the beginning. But haven't heard that about the PS4. Mind you, I may have missed that story.

white_wolf

Aug 23, 2013
So pretty much if my friend wants to borrow my digital game and they want the perks they're going to have to camp at my home for the next 3 weeks while they try my game out or go without the perks to play at their own home.

Tradjus

Apr 25, 2011
Haha, I love how they mention that there are no "Usage fees" just to get a quick dig in at Microsoft. It's fun to watch these console giants throw rocks at one another.

Infernal Lawyer

Jan 28, 2013
Tradjus said:
Haha, I love how they mention that there are no "Usage fees" just to get a quick dig in at Microsoft. It's fun to watch these console giants throw rocks at one another.
Maybe I'm just being a pessimist, but I would have used the word "sad". How we've gotten to the point where saying "you don't have to pay to play a used game" is a dig at the opposition is really beyond me.

wulfy42

Jan 29, 2009
Actually, your friend can play your game (The full game) as much as he wants.....forever...as long as you trust him with your account information and don't mind him logging in as you from his house.

In fact, this seems like an easy way to end up getting far less sales...as it's way too abusable to be honest.

When I was a kid...a new game was expensive. I'm pretty sure they are still now...and most kids have friends. Say you and your friend both want 2 games. You can both buy 1 game, and then share each others accounts and play the other game for free at home.

You could even share your game with multiple friends, just 2 of your friends can't play at the same time. I had a core group of 4 friends for instance as a kid...and all 4 of us could chip in together to buy 1 game, then share it (only 2 being able to play at the same time...but all 4 being able to do so without having to carry physical copies all over.

Adults won't bother I'm sure...but kids will pick up on this stuff fast...and have a much more limited budget.

Negatempest

May 10, 2008
Information on this is kinda, "meh". Considering the hype they twisted around this feature it is more or less the same thing as a ps3 account. So, not really impressed.

saintdane05

Aug 2, 2011

Great job with the imbed guys! I love the way it can't even be read. I love it when that happens.

RicoADF

Welcome back Commander
Jun 2, 2009
Saltyk said:
I don't think this is drastically different than what the PS3 does now. Honestly, I wasn't worried. I'll probably buy most games as physical copies anyway. I just like have the discs to hold and snuggle and whatnot. Indie titles will probably be the primary things I download.

And this honestly doesn't sound different from one of the only versions I heard Microsoft was touting as their Family Sharing Plan that we would benefit from. The only other one that I actually believe being the "glorified Demo" version.

*snip quote*

I know the Xbone requires a Day One patch to fix all the screw ups and basically make the system work as it should have from the beginning. But haven't heard that about the PS4. Mind you, I may have missed that story.
There was a news article saying that the PS4 has a 300mb day 1 patch which adds alot of the online sharing features (not unreasonable) and the ability to play Bluray and DVD movies. Sony's explanation for the last one was that you need to activate the system to play movies, abit odd but other than that the system works right out of the box so not unfair imo.