Sony Fends Off Copyright Lawsuit Against God Of War

Starke

Mar 6, 2008
tkioz said:
After reading the court ruling, which wasn't as dry as I'd expected, one line stuck out and made me laugh my ass off.

In such a case, it is particularly important for the court to use its own "Blades of Chaos" to slice or filter out the unprotectable elements.
Very good Your Honour, very good.
Another one was more of a characterization of the plaintiff's motion to suppress, but equally amusing is: "The notion that a witness must submit an expert report before being allowed to opine that Dante wrote about hell strikes the court as rather silly."

BehattedWanderer said:
Sounds like the judge had funneled extra souls in her "Reasonable Verdict" skill, instead of her "butcher enemies" skills. Wow. Now there's a judge I wouldn't mind hearing more about. Though, she did have a point--using Greek Mythology/History as a story basis has been happening for quite a long time. And a nice Kratos? Can you imagine? Then we wouldn't have our "Like God of War But..." stamps! Personally, no matter how humorous the legal transcript was, I do like the Sony/Santa Monica Version better.

Edit: Oh, does anyone else think that the judge has played it?
Based on the end notes and some of her comments? No. I kinda doubt it. She's working off a script for the game, (presumably) game play video and the strategy guide.

BehattedWanderer

Fell off the Alligator.
Jun 24, 2009
Starke said:
tkioz said:
After reading the court ruling, which wasn't as dry as I'd expected, one line stuck out and made me laugh my ass off.

In such a case, it is particularly important for the court to use its own "Blades of Chaos" to slice or filter out the unprotectable elements.
Very good Your Honour, very good.
Another one was more of a characterization of the plaintiff's motion to suppress, but equally amusing is: "The notion that a witness must submit an expert report before being allowed to opine that Dante wrote about hell strikes the court as rather silly."

BehattedWanderer said:
Sounds like the judge had funneled extra souls in her "Reasonable Verdict" skill, instead of her "butcher enemies" skills. Wow. Now there's a judge I wouldn't mind hearing more about. Though, she did have a point--using Greek Mythology/History as a story basis has been happening for quite a long time. And a nice Kratos? Can you imagine? Then we wouldn't have our "Like God of War But..." stamps! Personally, no matter how humorous the legal transcript was, I do like the Sony/Santa Monica Version better.

Based on the end notes and some of her comments? No. I kinda doubt it. She's working off a script for the game, (presumably) game play video and the strategy guide.
Fair enough, but I'm still rolling that "...strikes the court as silly" is professional legal language.

tkioz

Fussy Fiddler
May 7, 2009
Starke said:
BehattedWanderer said:

Which is a really pity honestly, she made the right verdict at least IMO, but going off the script and videos doesn't give a real feel for the content for the game, games are medium in and of themselves, it would be like judging a movie off screen caps alone, no dialogue at all.

Starke

Mar 6, 2008
tkioz said:
Which is a really pity honestly, she made the right verdict at least IMO, but going off the script and videos doesn't give a real feel for the content for the game, games are medium in and of themselves, it would be like judging a movie off screen caps alone, no dialogue at all.
From her decision it's pretty clear GoW isn't her cup of tea. Like I said, I'd be a little surprised if she didn't review videos of someone else play the game. But, the areas she seems most knowlegeable are in regards to the plot.

camazotz

Jul 23, 2009
That was awesome....hopefully in the future we will have more judges like this out there. It's inevitable!

Accusing Sony of ripping their screenplay off is supreme irony....mythology, people! It's about as copyright-free as you can get!