Sony Hopes to Conquer the UK With Cheaper PS3s

Dexiro

Dec 23, 2009
I honestly think that marketing is the main reason why many people prefer the Xbox over the PS3.

While the Xbox does come out on top with a few things depending on preference, better controllers and supposedly has better online, the thing that matters the most is the exclusives, and I think that's where the PS3 is miles ahead.

The thing I find though is that Xbox players have no idea what the PS3's exclusives are, Sony don't advertise enough and when they do advertise it's to their current fanbase. Then on the other hand Microsoft advertises to hell and back and they're damn good at it, everyone knows what the Xbox has in store and gets all the hype that comes with it. So you'd be more inclined to think that the Xbox has more and better games.

OutrageousEmu said:
j-e-f-f-e-r-s said:
I don't suppose it could have anything to do with the UK government being completely in the shitter? Kind of hard to justify buyin a new console when VAT has gone up, bills are getting more expensive, the general cost of living is on the rise, and you're either taking a pay freeze at work or you've been put out of a job.

Just sayin'...
You kiddin'? Those all sound like reasons to get a Ps3 to me. Gaming is escapism, and when the world around you turns to shit, who doesn't want to just sit at the couch, and escape to a world where you can punch Russian mercenaries, utter witty lines and then save the world? Or attack street mimes with lightning grenades? Or watch a robotic dinosaur and a mecha dragon beat the shit out of each other?
They may be reasons to get a PS3, but they're also reasons for people not having money to buy one :p

GeorgW

ALL GLORY TO ME!
Aug 27, 2010
TimeLord said:
GeorgW said:
TimeLord said:
GeorgW said:
It's funny to think that all the other PSs have been worth more than £200 once. If you disregard price, I can't understand how someone could rationalize choosing a 360 over PS3, so hopefully this will improve sales.
Interesting logic since I bought my PS3 4 years before my 360 :p

OT: I like that at one time the PS2 cost over £200 and now it can be bought for a fiver and used as a doorstop.
I said I couldn't understand it, not that I have anything against it, so please explain to me your rationalisation.
I actually mis-read your post. I thought you said you couldn't see the rational in not getting a 360 over a PS3.

So yea, I completely mis-read you post. I'll slap myself and read everything properly next time.
Ah, ok then, no worries.

Da Orky Man

Yeah, that's me
Apr 24, 2011
You xan buy a 360, with a 20gb HDD for £80. A 250gb HDD is an extra £50. They're still way behind.

Amphoteric

Jun 8, 2010
Treblaine said:
I think the major factor is the UK-ers as we speak English and with the internet we are exposed to a lot more Americans where there is a high concentration of X-bros bigging up that platform.

Also - for shame - there is VERY LITTLE presence of British publications on the internet, it's all gametrailers, escapist, IGN, gamespot, etc, etc.

UK's EDGE Magazine is of course hugely important but it is limited in its impact by it being a monthly paper-only publication that is quite expensive. And anyway, they do have a reputation for giving PS3 a hard time.

Though I wonder how much this is down to how Microsoft simply has better marketing in English speaking countries like US, UK and ANZAC.
PC Gamer is a British product.

rembrandtqeinstein

Sep 4, 2009
xbox + kinect is 300 shipped, and kinect is a far superior product than move

if they dropped the price of the barebones ps3 + controller + eye + move to 250 then it would be competitive, otherwise it just isn't a good deal

DigitalSushi

a gallardo? fine, I'll take it.
Dec 24, 2008
I just paid £170.00 to have my PS3 fixed, like a week ago!

Damn you Sony, you win this round.

Mr C

May 8, 2008
"Why would a person buy console X before console Y". Don't worry boys, one day you will be all grown up and you'll be able to buy both.

OT: A good time to buy a PS3 if you still don't have one. Some very entertaining titles available and the PS1 store is full of gems that's growing all the time. Just wish they'd improve the joypad design. The stick layout on the 360 is better and there has not been a fantastic d-pad since the Sega Saturn.

Warped_Ghost

Sep 26, 2009
Ubermetalhed said:
I think the price drop will make a massive difference, especially when you compare the capabilities of the two consoles. At the same price you'll choose the one that can do more and has more.

Besides its becoming ever clearer that all alleged Xbox exclusives end up going to PS3 or can be played on a PC. Where as PS3 exclusives stay where they are.
They stay exactly at the point were it still doesn't justify buying a ps3.

Seriously though If your going to buy a console then get whatever console your friends have. PS3 or Xbox both have their strengths and weaknesses but both of them suck when you have no one you know to play with.

Treblaine

Jul 25, 2008
rembrandtqeinstein said:
xbox + kinect is 300 shipped, and Kinect is a far superior product than Move

What are you talking about?

Kinect has a dancing simulator... and that's it.

At least Move has some fun shooting and sword fighting games, and can you really say that Star Wars lightsabre is better on Kinect than with a move controller that is crying out for lightsabre combat!?!?

Michael Telatynski

Aug 28, 2011
You can't forget the fact;
That even that XBOXs Are slightly, yes slightly, cheaper they do charge you for tiny things; I mean £40 annually for Xbox Live Gold, which is required to play games online; On PS3 and PC its all free...
The Other Thing I love on PC; ANY TIME UPGRADE YOUR SPECS!!!;
SLI/Crossfire
i7
Whatever floats your boat;
And the fact that you can play 3D on all consoles is a plus, just not on all games;
ON PC YOU CAN HAVE SURROUND!!!
3 MONITORS ARE MILES BETTER THAN 1; well even better if they were bezel-less.
Fully customisable;PCS;
Easy GamePlay Recording on PCS;..

ON XBOX YOU CANT EVEN PLUG IN A SURROUND SOUND SYSTEM THAT WORKS PROPERLY!!
ON PC; JUST EASY 7.1 PLUG HD IN AND DONE...

On The KINECT vs. MOVE topic I would say that I hope that Xbox(MicroSoft) is reading this;
What I think they should do is make a handheld controller similar to the Move one for Kinect and make it optional for some of the games,.. It would give you the best gaming experience.

SenseOfTumour

Jul 11, 2008
I still believe Sony consider the PS3 as a fairly minor thing, basically used as a launchpad to push Blu Ray, and they got lucky, Blu Ray took off, to a certain extent.

If they hadn't done that, it could have launched earlier, at least £100 cheaper, and been a better rival to the 360. But they felt Blu Ray was more important, which is fairly amusing seeing as games are now outstripping movies :D