Sony Investigating "Isolated" Reported PS4 Problems

Reed Spacer

That guy with the thing.
Jan 11, 2011
Trishbot said:
Advice I've gotten from nearly 30 years of gaming...

Never buy a launch system. That's when they're the most expensive, most defective, the smallest game library, the least amount of features...

... But I know some people need to scratch their Killzone itch, so I understand.
Shit, I said that, but God forbid anyone listen...

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
This is one of the reasons being an early adopter is a mistake. The games won't go anywhere. The PS4 won't go anywhere. Just wait a while. It's better than having to go through all the inevitable launch hassle.

Louzerman102

Mar 12, 2011
In a recent Sony press release the official reported failure rate of the PS4 is 0.4%

However because this is a new console launch in a heated console war I will respond in the appropriate manner.

Sony is finished, it's over, Xbone confirmed as best console.

Church185

Apr 15, 2009
Adam Jensen said:
This is one of the reasons being an early adopter is a mistake. The games won't go anywhere. The PS4 won't go anywhere. Just wait a while. It's better than having to go through all the inevitable launch hassle.
If there weren't people willing to buy the systems on day one, no one would be making them...

By all means, keep preaching "wait and see" if you like this hobby. /sarcasm

-Dragmire-

King over my mind
Mar 29, 2011
Trishbot said:
Advice I've gotten from nearly 30 years of gaming...

Never buy a launch system. That's when they're the most expensive, most defective, the smallest game library, the least amount of features...

... But I know some people need to scratch their Killzone itch, so I understand.
Most of the time anyway, PS3 launch system had more capabilities than newer versions. I also heard that there were more defective models in future iterations when cheaper parts were used to lower costs though I can't confirm it.

Black sheep, I know, but it can happen where early adopters get a better product.

Dragonbums

Indulge in it's whiffy sensation
May 9, 2013
I highly doubt this will be an "isolated" incident. We are talking about people getting the console early reporting problems. Imagine how big this problem will get when it turns out that it's a lot of people with this issue.

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
Church185 said:
Adam Jensen said:
If there weren't people willing to buy the systems on day one, no one would be making them...

By all means, keep preaching "wait and see" if you like this hobby. /sarcasm
I know that there will always be people willing to buy consoles on launch. But people like us who know enough about this industry and spend our time in gaming forums just shouldn't do it. We should first let the peasants taste the food that might be poisoned.

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
Dragonbums said:
I highly doubt this will be an "isolated" incident. We are talking about people getting the console early reporting problems. Imagine how big this problem will get when it turns out that it's a lot of people with this issue.
We won't know for sure until tonight/tomorrow really. I mean, the first batch of consoles always seem to have problems when it comes to manufacturing. Remember the dirty lenses that prevented a number of Wii owners from playing games like Brawl, or the good old fire problems of the original Xbox, or even the DVD error PS2's were giving at launch.
No, it only will reach critical RRoD levels if the problem continues for longer than 6 months I say, and especially if Sony were to know what the problem is and doesn't even attempt to fix it. *see cheap soldering for why the RRoD was so common*

Shamanic Rhythm

Dec 6, 2009
'Isolated problems' is classic corporate playbook material, just like 'vocal minority' is the political way of describing any viewpoint you disagree with.

Church185

Apr 15, 2009
Adam Jensen said:
I know that there will always be people willing to buy consoles on launch. But people like us who know enough about this industry and spend our time in gaming forums just shouldn't do it. We should first let the peasants taste the food that might be poisoned.
I don't mind testing it myself. If anything major happens, a warranty will probably have me covered. I was worried when I first started hearing reports of malfunctions, but then I looked at the numbers. Right now it's looking like 7 out of 4400~ PS4s that are in the wild have bricked. I'm totally ok with those odds.

The drive that brings me to gaming forums is the same drive that makes me want to be there from the beginning. I get that it's not for everyone, but it sucks that a lot of people I respect here look down on people who want to take the leap.

Xman490

Doctorate in Danger
May 29, 2010
Church185 said:
I don't mind testing it myself. If anything major happens, a warranty will probably have me covered. I was worried when I first started hearing reports of malfunctions, but then I looked at the numbers. Right now it's looking like 7 out of 4400~ PS4s that are in the wild have bricked. I'm totally ok with those odds.

The drive that brings me to gaming forums is the same drive that makes me want to be there from the beginning. I get that it's not for everyone, but it sucks that a lot of people I respect here look down on people who want to take the leap.
Do you have a source for that "7 out of 4400" statistic? It seems awfully dubious.

It feels weird hearing so many people spell doom for systems when what I'm really wondering is if I can get a working one in a "Black Friday Bunduru" (see: last night's South Park).

Dragonbums

Indulge in it's whiffy sensation
May 9, 2013
Neronium said:
Dragonbums said:
We won't know for sure until tonight/tomorrow really. I mean, the first batch of consoles always seem to have problems when it comes to manufacturing. Remember the dirty lenses that prevented a number of Wii owners from playing games like Brawl, or the good old fire problems of the original Xbox, or even the DVD error PS2's were giving at launch.
No, it only will reach critical RRoD levels if the problem continues for longer than 6 months I say, and especially if Sony were to know what the problem is and doesn't even attempt to fix it. *see cheap soldering for why the RRoD was so common*
I don't think it will be RroD levels of bad (let's be honest, that one was a doozy. Even for defective products) but I do think it will be much more common and certainly not "isolated".

However like you said, we just have to wait until tomorrow/tonight to see what the final verdict is.

EHKOS

Madness to my Methods
Feb 28, 2010
Wow, problems occurring right at the beginning of a product's lifespan. Just give it a month or two, every console has had a problem right out of the launch gate. Although, this one is kinda hard to miss. The worst part about this seems to be that it's a hardware problem, which means they can't just patch it, which would be so much simpler and cost effective.

rasputin0009

Feb 12, 2013
All consoles have issues. Xbox One will have guaranteed overheating issues with that CPU mounted SRAM. Sure it's fast, but it's gonna melt.

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
so basically people are having to deal with typical launch issues. Sounds about right. How bad the issue is is unknown, but it's not something a company would want to have getting out at launch

Jake|Ranger

Mar 10, 2011
luvd1 said:
Spaceman Spiff said:
Of course they'll say these are isolated incidents. That's the SOP for poor quality control. I wonder if BPoD(blue pulse of death) will be the new RRoD.
I was thinking of calling it the WoD (wink of death). It makes it sound almost flirty.

They all say this. It's the standard response but mostly true. All new hardware go through this stuff. The first batch of any launch of any hardware has ever gone cleanly. Me bothered? Nah. I'm too long in the tooth, I'd had been surprised if there wasn't any buggy systems.

Haha, seeing your wink of death comment instantly made me think of this. Very flirty indeed.

KingWein22

Jun 4, 2010
Not that I am planning on getting either one in the near future, I have only gotten games at launch when I have the money, they catch my eye, and so on...

RicoADF

Welcome back Commander
Jun 2, 2009
EHKOS said:
Wow, problems occurring right at the beginning of a product's lifespan. Just give it a month or two, every console has had a problem right out of the launch gate. Although, this one is kinda hard to miss. The worst part about this seems to be that it's a hardware problem, which means they can't just patch it, which would be so much simpler and cost effective.
It sounds like different issues, some hardware, some software from the day 1 patch. Like every release bugs slip through though it sounds like a small percentage getting the pre production versions.

Sarge034

Feb 24, 2011
I would like to see how many consoles are defective as opposed to how many were actually shipped. Technically there could only be a few defective units running around but they didn't ship many either so the percentage of defective consoles could be worryingly high.

I'm just going to say that no one should commit to either console for at least nine months so both companies can sort their shit out and actually finish their products. Just sayin.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
And it begins....

Launch issues are being launch issues. to be expected.

luvd1 said:
So no RRoD yet? Sweet.
Looks more like Blue pulse of death. BPOD?

Agreed, the 'Pulsing Blue Light' kind of sounds like that to me.

Alpha Maeko said:
(The PS3 version either didn't exist or came out way later, or had lots of bugs 'n glitches in comparison.)
That was thanks to cell processor, something PS4 will not be having a problem with.