Sony Made Console Version of Elder Scrolls Online Happen

CrazyCapnMorgan

Is not insane, just crazy >:)
Jan 5, 2011
Voulan said:
I'm still not sure how exactly an MMO is going to work on consoles...
Play Final Fantasy 14: A Realm Reborn. SquareEnix got this one right with the PS3, so it IS feasible and can be done beautifully. At the very least, I like it. So do a few other Escapists. You can ask us questions about it in our group chat if you so desire.

Here's our group: http://www.escapistmagazine.com/groups/view/Final-Fantasy-XIV-A-Realm-Reborn

The question then becomes: is Bethesda capable of doing this? Given their habit of bug-laden releases of games...I'm not sure it'll be quite worth their, or our, while.

Remus

Reprogrammed Spambot
Nov 24, 2012
Doom972 said:
I'm sure that all those gamers who played Skyrim on the PS3 are rushing to preorder it as we speak.

Doesn't it use a WoW-like UI? I wonder how they'll make that work with console controls.
It does not. It seems to have very few hotkeys actually and all reports point to it playing a lot like Skyrim, first person perspective option and all. So don't expect to be looking for an ideal DPS rotation like you would in WoW

One thing to note about Skyrim on PS3 is that it was limited by memory usage. The PS3 has 256MB if you might recall. Games like Skyrim generally don't perform terribly well under 2GB.

If this game plays anywhere near as well as the previews say, I'll be swapping out one sub for another. Though it's doubtful I'll have a PS4 anytime soon, not having the disposable income I had at the PS3 release. So I'll be playing on PC although I'm sure the console version will be perfectly serviceable.

Rule Britannia

Apr 20, 2011
For anybody who's worrying, Zenimax already stated that the UI for PC is different to the UI for the consoles.

I'm hoping for some huge discounts on the subscription fee. Buy a year of membership for half price...$15 isn't my cup of tea. To quench my thirst for an mmo I think I'll be playing Bungie's Destiny game :)

Sizzle Montyjing

Pronouns - Slam/Slammed/Slammin'
Apr 5, 2011
Tiamat666 said:
So if we get a shitty console port with bad controls, simplified gameplay and a shitty, oversized UI designed to be viewed from the couch, we have Sony to thank for it.
It's being ported from PC to the consoles... so no. Not at all.

OP: Cool, I guess, not like this is a bad thing, just gives people more of a choice and more availability.

Ishal

Oct 30, 2012
Chaosritter said:
Let's see:

- A Bethesda game that definitely won't get mod support

- A Bethesda game in a genre that is prone for bugs and glitches anyway

- A Bethesda game on a system that is brand new and the programmers have never worked on before

What could possibly go wrong?

Seriously, the idea of an Elder Scrolls MMO is pretty silly to begin with. TES has always drawn its life force from the editor and community mods. People were willing to take the badly written stories and bugs in exchange.

Now take the editor and replace it by a monthly fee. Doesn't that sound great?

Spoiler: it doesn't

Bethesda doesn't even get single player games right, how exactly are they expecting an MMO to work?
Well what happens when that community gets together to play an MMO? Those are community based.

Also, for your three points. This isn't Bethesda, its Zenimax. Completely different. Bethesda is working on other projects, The Elder Scrolls VI among them.

viranimus

Thread killer
Nov 20, 2009
Voulan said:
I'm still not sure how exactly an MMO is going to work on consoles, but it's nice to see that it was done through enthusiasm to try, instead of money-grubbing.

Not that I'll get to try it anyway. Yep, I'm still upset about subscription fees.
Hrm, well given that mmos have been done on consoles since 2002-3-ish PS2 era There is a fair amount of documentation to explain how well they function on consoles. In short, not really all that differently from how they function on PCs tbh.

Captcha: Keyboard cat
Not post relevant but im off to youtube to waste 30 minutes now.

Korten12

Now I want ma...!
Aug 26, 2009
Dragonbums said:
I'm really confused about this news.

What do you mean it's thanks to Sony that the TESO is going to be on consoles?

I thought they said they were going to put it on all console platforms (except the Wii U) all the way back at E3 when they were interviewed?

Also inb4 shit console port.
They announced it for consoles at Sony's E3 press conference. Before Sony pushed for it to go for consoles, it was going to be PC exclusive, however some time before E3, they got them to start developing for next-gen systems.

Charli

Nov 23, 2008
Grrr. I'm actually annoyed with Sony, focus and direction in an MMO are fragile enough and if the studio isn't careful, the very feeling of the game can take a huge hit if you're not starting out with an intense focus of making it work for console and PC. I hope the games resources aren't split too heavily and too thin.

I'm getting bad vibes about this MMO the more info I hear about it.

Dragonbums

Indulge in it's whiffy sensation
May 9, 2013
Korten12 said:
Dragonbums said:
I'm really confused about this news.

What do you mean it's thanks to Sony that the TESO is going to be on consoles?

I thought they said they were going to put it on all console platforms (except the Wii U) all the way back at E3 when they were interviewed?

Also inb4 shit console port.
They announced it for consoles at Sony's E3 press conference. Before Sony pushed for it to go for consoles, it was going to be PC exclusive, however some time before E3, they got them to start developing for next-gen systems.
Oh, Okay.

Though that makes me wonder, why they didn't make it a Sony exclusive port then.
It doesn't really seem make sense that they wanted TESO for the benefit of everyone (except Nintendo.) Especially when they are more than happy to punch Microsoft in the guts some more for the sake of stringing out a couple of laughs from the fans.

Eh, whatever. After trying out that mess of a console game called Skyrim on Xbox, I think I'm going to stick to my laptop for Bethesda games. As for TESO...ain't buying it. The payment model just doesn't sit with me.

votemarvel

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 29, 2009
Country
England
I'm not sure how well a subscription based game is going to do on consoles that require a fee in order to play online. It's not even a one off fee like an online pass but an ongoing subscription on top of the ongoing subscription you are already going to have to pay Microsoft/Sony to play online on the One/PS4.

Putting aside that for a moment. MMOs tend to require a lot of patching. How quickly is that going to happen with patches having to move through certification on the consoles.

Psychobabble

. . . . . . . .
Aug 3, 2013
So once again we have the corporate console greed-mongers trying to steal yet more gamers away from the PC market. Good work Zenimax. Enjoy your 20 pieces of silver.

duchaked

Dec 25, 2008
it's awesome to see them do this. it really is
but I'm not likely to shell out for the monthly fee on any platform :/

Griffolion

Elite Member
Aug 18, 2009
So paying for the PSN/Live subscription and then the MMO subscription? Nope, there's a reason this wasn't going to go to consoles.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
And this has sealed it. Im not getting this game. Last thing i want is console kids raging in a MMO. then again we already got that in WOW and SWTOR.

Neronium said:
piinyouri said:
Skyrim still crashed a bit though, and it wasn't running the Gambryo engine like how Oblivion through New Vegas were. Although you are right that it was because of those engines that the games like Fallout 3 to crash more frequently.
Wait what? Fallout 3 crashing? during my 40 hours of Fallout 3 it hasnt crashed a single time. In fact i was quite happy how stable the game was in comaprison to others, for example the STALKER games that crashed so often i couldnt finish a campaign in 3 tries.

Korten12

Now I want ma...!
Aug 26, 2009
Griffolion said:
So paying for the PSN/Live subscription and then the MMO subscription? Nope, there's a reason this wasn't going to go to consoles.
As far as I know it doesn't require PS+ to play it online. F2P/P2P games aren't required to use PS+. Such as Warframe and Planetside 2, both which are F2P on ps4 and don't need PS+ despite being multiplayer.