Sony Moving Away From First-Party Titles on Vita

StriderShinryu

Dec 8, 2009
While I must say that my own preferences on the system do veer a little away from first party offerings, I can't say that I'm happy with this decision. I worry that third parties will be wary of supporting a system if the system maker itself doesn't see fit to release it's own games for it.

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
Dragonbums said:
This doesn't scream different strategy to me. This just tells me that they got their ass handily whooped by a Nintendo handheld for a second time in a row to the point where they said they aren't going to invest making games for it anymore. Leave all the risk taking to indie and third party devs.
Though we all know what's going to happen is 3rd parties are going to work on the 3DS due to it having a higher install base. Sony really doesn't have a clue what to do with their handhelds. The only reason the PSP survived so long was because of Monster Hunter. People like to chide Nintendo for the Wii U, but of course it turns out the entire reason they weren't talking much was because they had a goddamned AVALANCHE they were working on. Sony meanwhile has taken a completely defeatist strategy. Something isn't working, they just give up instead of, say, redoubling their efforts. Too bad, because competition typically breeds quality and innovation.

Faustek

Aug 5, 2013
Uhm, does it matter? Sure there are a few great first party games I want on Vita(please let the Gravity Rush 2 rumour be false) but in no way did I buy it for first party games.
The thing is that Sony has barely supported it with any form of adds. Perfect place like E3? Nah better go with King Ping Talking about TV. :( Not even trying to push the handheld will kill it not not making games for it.

MrHide-Patten

Jun 10, 2009
And so Sony took the Vita out back and put two buck shot barrels to its head and painted the land with its grey matter. Which third party Dev would want to support the Vita, when they're not even supporting it, it's the fuckin Wii-U in reverse.

For whatever shit I give Nintendo, at least they stay on the ship whilst it's sinking. Sony just fuckin' bails to the newer ship, WHICH THEY AREN'T EVEN DOING ANYTHING FOR!

If I'm looking forward to exclusives more on the Wii-U or Xbox One, then you have fuckin' failed. It's as if E3 2013 gave them brain cancer.

Elvis Starburst

Unprofessional Rant Artist
Legacy
Aug 9, 2011
Blitsie said:
No, no fuck you Sony, fuck you. As someone who absolutely adores my Vita this news is just total bullshit, the Vita is actually doing pretty ok and the potential is there, RIGHT FREAKING THERE FOR THE TAKING and Yoshida is like "nope, lol, meh too lazy whatevs", how can such a joke of a person be running this show??
No kidding. That's pretty pathetic... The PSP became a hackers dream land, and Sony knows it. Then the Vita was their chance to turn things around (Which they have, I heard custom firmware is really hard to pull off on it) and they can do something with it... but they won't. Cause they didn't freakin market it. I don't get these people.

Apologies, I really, really want this thing to reach its potential and be successful.[/quote]
Rozalia1 said:
I've lately been picking up a lot of third party exclusives so the Vita isn't completely dead to me...but this is not good news. So they aren't going to do a Gravity Rush 2? I mean considering the gimmicks of the game it'd kind of need to be on the Vita...though thinking on it the touch pad on the PS4 might suffice.
Actually, there was a trailer announcing the game at the Tokyo Game Show in 2013. Here's an article :3

http://www.pushsquare.com/news/2013/12/dont_worry_gravity_rush_2_is_coming_along_nicely

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
Sony, if you weren't going to produce the Vita to adequately replace the PSP, WHY DID YOU CANCEL THE PSP, YOU IDIOTS?!

You're just throwing money out the window, man. I won't buy. I just don't care. Vita is no good to me.

DSD12

Feb 12, 2011
You know when I bought a Vita I did not buy it to be an extender for the PS4 which at the time I did not have, I bought it for the games and for Sony to just say "But there's Playstation Now!" isn't a valid excuse for no support for a game console YOU created.

Akiraking

Jan 7, 2012
I was thinking of getting one to play the ps1 final fantasy games on the go and the HD re releases of Jack and Daxter and Sly Cooper, but now I don't want to support a company with such a stupid business practice. The vita has so few third party games come out and the biggest ones have just been ports. If you asked me what was a new game on the system I would say Tear Away and whatever it launched with. People can diss Nintendo all they want but when they have a struggling console they support it because when your console or handheld is struggling only the first party can save it, the third party don't touch underselling systems and last time I checked all those indie games are on everything else.

Eve Charm

Aug 10, 2011
What it really looks like is sony is getting to big for it's britches like it was when the PS3 was first announced and they thought it would be easy streak, now that the PS4 started amazing strong.

Now here's the thing, without you saying it the last real game they made for the vita was killzone merc and between then and now you had a the soul sac delta which is basically just a remastering and the new vita slim, it makes me wonder what have you been making game wise sony again?

Sony hasn't been making any vita games for over a year, Haven't been making any ps3 games for over a year and have 3 games to show for themselves over the course of that time for the ps4, and the only thing first party coming out is drive club and little big planet 3

I know 8 million consoles is noteworthy, but if you think your gonna keep it up you can't coast and give the middle finger to the people that own the other consoles. Mulitplatform is alright but if you seen steam lately that picking ground is drying up and I doubt PS4 are going to get on christmas lists for "exclusive content" Wake up this isn't the ps2 era again.

iblis666

Sep 8, 2008
well fuck, i was going to be buying one soon and still might just hope that they implement the ps2 classics since i want ff12