Sony Officially Teams up With Kojima to Produce PS4 Exclusives

tiamat5

Aug 6, 2008
So much bitterness. First people cry about Sony claiming them not having enough exclusives. And now that they snag them from Kojima and people are ready to reject the games and cry about it being exclusive and running around trying to find out how long it might be exclusive for or if it will eventually reach other platforms. Is it because you just like to complain a lot or upset because you know with Kojima's background anything he makes could easily sell a ton more systems? I swear gamers are some of the most angry, bitter two faced people out of every medium group on the planet.

laggyteabag

Scrolling through forums, instead of playing games
Legacy
Oct 25, 2009
UK
Glad to see it coming to PC. MGS5 was the first Kojima game that I played, and I enjoyed it quite a lot. Looking forward to seeing what Kojima can create, because that guy has some damn talent.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
Good for him. Not really a fan of the MGS stuff personally, but the way he was treated was just simply rude and unprofessional. Hopefully he can have a more enjoyable career now with a new direction.

M0rp43vs

Most Refined Escapist
Jul 4, 2008
Coruptin said:
He's got a Punished "Venom" Kojima look going on doesn't he.
I was gonna say. Earlier this year, he was a bit like Araki in that he looked like a fresh faced doe entering the industry. Now he does look noticeably old.

Maybe it's the beard. If he grows his hair into a ponytail and get a horn shaped shrapnel lodged in his head, maybe he can complete the ensemble.

RebornKusabi

Mar 11, 2009
Dendio said:
bluegate said:
Dendio said:
Creating artificial demand by unnecessarily handcuffing games to a single, technologically dated system in today's day and age is reprehensible in my opinion. My PC does almost everything better, especially since games like halo are removing the one console advantage...split-screen couch play
Aside from me not caring about what your computer can and can't do, I do somewhat agree with your stance on exclusives. However, in this case where Sony is most likely financially supporting the development of the game and maybe even part of the creation of the new studio, I don't find it unreasonable that the game is console exclusive to the PS4.

Aaaaand Holy Crap!? The Escapist finally updated to a modern reCAPTCHA... wow
I don't really care that you don't care about my pc, but yea, the advertisements on escapist previous Captcha system pretty much drove me from posting. I can also sorta see the point you are making about sony keeping funded projects to their system. There is something to be said about the health of a franchise though, if you keep a large player base from ever engaging in it. Imo metal gear 5 would have sold much better if the franchise wasn't locked exclusively to the playstation for so many years.
Well the game is said to also be coming to PC. So you can resume having a superiority complex over a first-world hobby you've spent money on.

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
Any chance they can get him to team back up with del Toro and make that Silent Hills game now? Okay, change a few things--like the name--so Konami can't throw their fit, but then make it because that demo was amazing.

I wonder what the new franchise will be, and if I'll have any interest in it. I played Twin Snakes on the GameCube and Guns of the Patriot, and while they were both entertaining, I've never really felt a desire to go back to either of them.

EHKOS

Madness to my Methods
Feb 28, 2010
I detect a high energy reaction ahead. The superiority index is 50%. We can easily dispose of it.
"You say 'easily' to win over that gigantic corporation?"
Certainly, Konami's irrational actions have driven their frame into a crisis. They have managed to learn Fox Engine's source code.

Naldan

You Are Interested. Certainly.
Feb 25, 2015
Johnlives said:
Goodish news for you non PS4 folks, according to this Q&A [http://nichegamer.com/2015/12/sony-is-publishing-hideo-kojimas-completely-new-game-also-coming-to-pc/] it will be going to the PC eventually.

Q6. What other platforms will Kojima?s first independent title be available on, besides PS4?

The title is planned to become available on PC (after PS4).

Q7. How long is the exclusivity?

We are not disclosing details.
Excited to see what he comes up with, fresh IP is always welcome.
Thank god, I was about to rant. Really wondering about his new direction; He probably won't do a MG clone and a horror game might get him in trouble with Konami for stealing work or something, when it is nearly close to what was shown of Silent Hills in any stretch of imagination. It's Konami.

So, what is it gonna be? I still like a horror game from him.

I simply want Silent Hills, even if it has nothing to do with Silent Hill. That well is poisened anyway after The Downcoming.

Sep 24, 2008
Naldan said:
Thank god, I was about to rant. Really wondering about his new direction; He probably won't do a MG clone and a horror game might get him in trouble with Konami for stealing work or something, when it is nearly close to what was shown of Silent Hills in any stretch of imagination. It's Konami.

So, what is it gonna be? I still like a horror game from him.

I simply want Silent Hills, even if it has nothing to do with Silent Hill. That well is poisened anyway after The Downcoming.
You know what's sad? I'm so much into the Zaibatsu that I honestly think that's the title of the games now.

Throw all the Axes you can. Be a cool guy, doesn't afraid of anything.

Saltyk

Sane among the insane.
Sep 12, 2010
Lightknight said:
Holy crap, this is wonderful news. Sony puts a hell of a lot of care into their exclusives. Kojima is finally going to have a real publisher behind him that actually care about quality of work. This is the best case scenario (if you own a PS4 of course).
My thoughts as well. This is probably the best case scenario. Going first party with Sony will give him a publisher that will respect him and his work. And it will give Sony a very nice feather in their cap to boot.

I really can't imagine that Microsoft would have respected Kojima as much as Sony will. And I don't see his games getting out to as many people if he went with Nintendo, who would also respect him (though Nintendo would be an almost perfect fit, too).

I see this as a Win/Win/Win.
A Win for Kojima.
A Big Win for Sony.
A Win for we gamers.

Sniper Team 4 said:
Any chance they can get him to team back up with del Toro and make that Silent Hills game now? Okay, change a few things--like the name--so Konami can't throw their fit, but then make it because that demo was amazing.

I wonder what the new franchise will be, and if I'll have any interest in it. I played Twin Snakes on the GameCube and Guns of the Patriot, and while they were both entertaining, I've never really felt a desire to go back to either of them.
I've been thinking about this all day (read this article before heading to work). Kojima has plenty of old games to draw inspiration from. Zone of the Enders, Snatcher, and Policenauts are his most notable games. However, I think he may be making a spiritual successor to Silent Hills for Sony.
Here's my reasoning:

P.T. was exclusive to PS4. And it had a lot of people excited for Silent Hills. Sony had to notice this. And they had to be excited for a Silent Hills game to hit their console and take advantage of that hype. If you think we hated the cancellation of the game, I bet some Sony executives were cussing when they learned of it. I could easily see Sony requesting that Kojima make a spiritual successor to Silent Hills.

And he may be able to get Del Toro back on board. While Del Toro has stated that the whole experience soured him on game development, I seem to recall him also stating that he did enjoy working with Kojima. If true, I think one phone call from Kojima could get him joining the new studio to make this game changing horror game they were working on.

Bottom line is this. Sony isn't stupid. They know we wanted Silent Hills. They have Kojima. They know exactly how much buzz they would get if they were able to get him to make (not)Silent Hills for them. This is a no brainer (as long as Kojima is willing).

As for him making a spiritual successor to Metal Gear, I don't see him making Iron Cog any time soon. Kojima had been trying to get away from Metal Gear since MGS2. Every game was his last one. Then, he made another. I don't see Kojima finally getting some creative freedom and going back to Metal Gear. Not yet, anyway.

EHKOS said:
I detect a high energy reaction ahead. The superiority index is 50%. We can easily dispose of it.
"You say 'easily' to win over that gigantic corporation?"
Certainly, Konami's irrational actions have driven their frame into a crisis. They have managed to learn Fox Engine's source code.
Ah, yeah. A Zone of the Enders reference. Nice.

RedRockRun

sneaky sneaky
Jul 23, 2009
Why am I hearing, "What took them so long?" everywhere? Is this some new catchphrase associated to the Kojima drama?

bluegate

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2010
RedRockRun said:
Why am I hearing, "What took them so long?" everywhere? Is this some new catchphrase associated to the Kojima drama?
In MGS5 Ground Zeroes and in MGS5 The Phantom Pain, there is a mission where you can extract a character called Hideo, modeled after Hideo Kojima, on extraction he will say to Big Boss; "What took you so long?".

Here's the clip from GZ
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=GtIT4RLYNBY

Saulkar

Legacy
Aug 25, 2010
Country
Canuckistan
Dendio said:
Creating artificial demand by unnecessarily handcuffing games to a single, technologically dated system in today's day and age is reprehensible in my opinion. My PC does almost everything better, especially since games like halo are removing the one console advantage...split-screen couch play
The problem is you will never find a day were you can no longer be surprised by how technologically illiterate or intimidated someone is. The world is becoming more technological, yes, but for many convenience has no price. The consoles have/had the allure of being startup and play right off the bat. Sadly as consoles try to emulate the P.C. more they begin to lose this major advantage that I myself greatly enjoyed despite being primarily a P.C. gamer. My dad introduced me to Windows 98 and XP yet needed my help to get the PS4 ship shape for use. So unless console manufacturers can pull their heads out of their asses and bring console gaming back to its convenient roots that naturally attracted many then I fear that can only mean more contractually based exclusives to justify the console's existence as P.C. lite.

P.S. This mostly applies to tripple A studios as not everyone has the means or resources for cross-platform development. At least not concurrently and through this exclusives will still exist and I am alright with that.

RebornKusabi said:
Well the game is said to also be coming to PC. So you can resume having a superiority complex over a first-world hobby you've spent money on.
The PS4 is much more a first world hobby as you can have many practical uses for a PC that do not exist in any appreciable form on the console. The PC also having the potential of being the center of your employment. Possessing the means by which to entertain yourself in the same environment is a natural extension that need not be its exclusive focus.

P.S. Either Poe's law is in effect or you are being unnecessarily snarky. Dendio was snide in tone but not to any person or group, merely a practice he disagreed with. Whereas Bluegate was provocatively inflammatory from the beginning. This passive aggressive rhetoric that seems to be the go-to method of discourse on this site is something that I do not wish to proliferate, please.

Rastrelly

%PCName
Mar 19, 2011
Phew! I am so glad Kojima stopped to exist for me. I was getting pretty bored of all these news of poor Kojima, who immediately ran to produce one of the worst things in and for gaming ^__^

Luminous_Umbra

Sep 25, 2011
Honestly, I'm just glad he's able to do work away from Konami. Hopefully, it goes well for him in whatever he ends up working on.

Adam Locking

Aug 10, 2012
Darth Rosenberg said:
The games industry really is rather pathetically self-defeating sometimes, and exclusivity is a perfect example. The sooner there's one single system/delivery point, the better for the entire medium as mass market entertainment and art.
While exclusives suck from a console ownership perspective, there are so many incredible games we simply wouldn't have without exclusivity deals, so I think we might be worse off in the long run.

bluegate

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2010
Saulkar said:
Whereas Bluegate was provocatively inflammatory from the beginning. This passive aggressive rhetoric that seems to be the go-to method of discourse on this site is something that I do not wish to proliferate, please.
Sorry to hear that it came across like that, cheers.

Buckets

May 1, 2014
And now just watch Konami fade from existence. They will spend the rest of their lives pissing about with Pachinko machines.