Sony Pictures Filming Metal Gear Movie

Logan Frederick

Aug 19, 2006
Sony Pictures Filming Metal Gear Movie

Sony Pictures confirms it is filming the movie adaptation of Metal Gear Solid.

Earlier this year, Metal Gear creator Hideo Kojima announced that an undisclosed company was developing a movie adaptation of his popular stealth series. Following the addresses at the D.I.C.E. Summit, Sony Pictures Entertainment vice chairman Yair Landau confirmed with GameSpot [http://www.gamespot.com/news/6165595.html?part=rss&tag=gs_news&subj=6165595] that his studio was working on a live-action film based on the Metal Gear Solid series.

Landau told GameSpot, "We're working with the Metal Gear guys. It's a very cinematic game, it really lends itself to movie telling. But the question is, 'How do you translate Snake's experience into a full arc that conforms to what audiences expect on the large screen?'"

He hinted that Sony Pictures is interested in creating more game-based movies. "There are other games we are looking to develop. We're working with one of my favorite producers right now on an idea for an EverQuest movie." No specific producers or directors have been announced for the Metal Gear Solid and EverQuest films.

Bongo Bill

Jul 13, 2006
An EverQuest movie? How would that work, exactly?

Anyway, though. A Metal Gear movie. Didn't Kojima say he'd always wanted to go into movies? Looks like he's finally getting his chance.

LxDarko

Nov 11, 2006
I wonder if they are going to be CGI movies or Live Action. If it is live action who do you think will play Snake?

Logan Frederick

Aug 19, 2006
It is a live-action film according to Sony Picture's Yair Landau. Snake's actor has not been revealed, but my personal suggestion is Keifer Sutherland with darker hair. His bad-ass rating is quite possibly higher than Snake's, and only slightly below Darth Vader.

te2rx [deprecated]

Jul 19, 2006
I read that headline, and I thought by "filming" they actually meant the movie was being filmed for real. Silly movie projects like these get announced all the time without ever materializing. I'm still waiting for that Dean Devlin Battletech/Mechwarrior movie, and all those anime-to-hollywood things that never happened.

I almost want to see Kurt Russel (i.e. Snake Plissken of the "Escape From..." flicks) as Solid Snake in some funky reverse homage. They can do the same with several of the Metal Gear characters that were conceptualized from Hollywood actors. Kojima should direct. Playing his recent Metal Gear games I get the feeling he cares more about his high production value animated cutscenes than he does the circa 1990 gameplay [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metal_Gear_2]... he should stop beating around the bush and produce the super cheesy 1980s throwback action movie that his games pretend to be :p

Beautiful End

Feb 15, 2011
Uhhhhhhhhhh...

Alright, Kojima. I'll trust you. At first I thought this was bad news because 90% of the time, we all know how this ends (*coughStreetFightermoviecough*), but whatever. You're good at what you do and MGS is already kind of a movie as it is. SO I'll wait before I comment on this.

*Sits and waits patiently*

JMan

Jun 18, 2008
Beautiful End said:
Uhhhhhhhhhh...

Alright, Kojima. I'll trust you. At first I thought this was bad news because 90% of the time, we all know how this ends (*coughStreetFightermoviecough*), but whatever. You're good at what you do and MGS is already kind of a movie as it is. SO I'll wait before I comment on this.

*Sits and waits patiently*
Only thing is that this thread is 5 years old so I doubt it's getting done at this point.

remnant_phoenix

Apr 4, 2011
But they already made a Metal Gear Solid movie!

It was called "Metal Gear Solid 4," and for some strange reason it only plays on the PS3, as opposed to any functioning Blu-Ray player...