Sony President: "The Time Is Still Not Right" for Digital-Only Vita

Marshall Honorof

Feb 16, 2011
Sony President: "The Time Is Still Not Right" for Digital-Only Vita

The PS Vita could have been digital download-only, say two Sony executives, but not everyone can pull four gigs of Uncharted over WiFi.

Let's face it: The PSPgo [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/109496-PSPgo-Clings-to-Life-in-North-America] was not exactly a big hit. One of the handheld's biggest flaws was a complete reliance on digitally-downloaded games, which made life difficult for gamers who wanted to play UMD-only titles, and made the system unsellable to anyone without a stellar internet connection. Sony has learned from its mistakes, as the upcoming PS Vita will feature a complete library of digital titles, along with physical media for most big releases.

"[We] believe the time is still not right to go download-only as a platform," said Sony Computer Entertainment Worldwide Studios president Shuhei Yoshida. "Some PS Vita titles, like Uncharted: Golden Abyss, will be close to 4GB in size, which could be too large to download for consumers who do not have a fast broadband connection." The availability of physical media is not only for customers with dial-up connections. Since the device will be region free [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/113120-Sony-Declares-PlayStation-Vita-for-All], it may well see distribution past the traditional Japan/Europe/North America markets, and into territories where internet connections can be sporadic or nonexistent. "There are consumers in parts of the world - this is a global device - where the digital model has not yet fully been embraced," added Jim Ryan, president of Sony Computer Entertainment Europe.

Because digital download seems to be the Vita's primary method of distribution, it's likely that not every title will see a physical release. Still, it's good to know that Sony is looking out for the broadband-challenged, and taking up-and-coming markets seriously.

Source: Edge [http://www.next-gen.biz/features/what-vita-means-sony]

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
I just hope the digital releases are not too expensive, compared to the physical copies.

The Vita is certainly looking sexier than the 3DS and I'm (or was) a big Nintendo fan.

Aris Khandr

Oct 6, 2010
Matthew94 said:
No the time is right but your insane pricing scheme is what is holding it back and will continue to do so into the future until you change it.
Not really. There are still places without broadband. There are places where broadband is capped very low. If they went digital-only, they'd lose a lot of potential sales in those areas. Digital-only will happen, but not likely for 10-15 more years.

Danny91

May 30, 2011
I'm very glad about this; theres no way the Internet in my country would be able to handle a download-only system, and Im really looking forward to the Vita.

midpipps

Feb 23, 2009
This makes me so happy. I have an internet connection that would support a download only system but I will always go for physical media if I can. I like having that copy that I can look at and display on my shelves. I understand why some people really like download distribution but I guess I am one of the old farts that just like having that physical piece that I can look at and touch. Also removing the plastic covering, pulling out the manual and flipping through it, and inserting that disc, card or cartridge into the system just brings a huge smile to my face.

Swifteye

Apr 15, 2010
Fawxy said:
Aris Khandr said:
Matthew94 said:
No the time is right but your insane pricing scheme is what is holding it back and will continue to do so into the future until you change it.
Not really. There are still places without broadband. There are places where broadband is capped very low. If they went digital-only, they'd lose a lot of potential sales in those areas. Digital-only will happen, but not likely for 10-15 more years.
By which time Sony might not even be in the video game business, so yeah.
That's an assumption. You could be long dead before Sony ever decides to stop producing games if you want to say things like that.

Dagnius

May 3, 2010
Kudos to Sony for this. I like digital copies for portability (not carrying UMDs around) but I also love physical copies because I do fall into that neanderthal range of having slow internet (cannot be helped) which takes ~9-10 hours for 1GB of data to download... and with Vita being much more powerful closer to that of a PS3, I can imagine the file size of these games jumping considerably.

I'm just worried about the Vita battery-life. Can't wait for it to release though, Do want.

Hashime

Jan 13, 2010
Thank you for doing something logical sony, now if you would reconsider the unique memory chip fiasco I might respect you again.

Lunar Templar

Sep 20, 2009
OutrageousEmu said:
Fawxy said:
They better have some damn good launch titles. The Vita has a lot of potential (more than the 3DS in my opinion) but if Sony screws up the launch all that potential really doesn't mean anything...
It has an Uncharted title day and date for launch. What more could you ask for?
more games to appeal to more then one set of fans, uncharted is not the end all be all sony ap, its more a reason to not get it, then to get it far as i go

Fearzone

Boyz! Boyz! Boyz!
Dec 3, 2008
Not just that, but digital-only is anti-consumer. Sometimes UMDs are on sale at Amazon, and sometimes the digital copy is through PSN. I go with what is cheapest. Digital-only monopolizes PSN. Want to play Dungeons and Dragons Tactics on the PSP? Probably not but let's say you did. It is no longer in production, and you cannot download it. New copies are at a premium on Amazon, around $80 when I was looking. No problem, I got a slightly-used copy on eBay for $20. Digital-only might soundgood on paper and it is a nice option to have, but it will limit when, where, and how we can get games, and will remove competition from the marketplace.

Sep 14, 2009
Kitsuna10060 said:
OutrageousEmu said:
Fawxy said:
They better have some damn good launch titles. The Vita has a lot of potential (more than the 3DS in my opinion) but if Sony screws up the launch all that potential really doesn't mean anything...
It has an Uncharted title day and date for launch. What more could you ask for?
more games to appeal to more then one set of fans, uncharted is not the end all be all sony ap, its more a reason to not get it, then to get it far as i go
hipster and a brony?

awesome. pure awesome.

OT: I'll have to wait for the price to take a slight dive, otherwise the vita is definitely on my list of things to get, it's looking sweeter and sweeter every time i check something out.