Sony Provides Timeline of Attack Hinting at Anonymous' Involvement

MattAn24

Pulse l'Cie
Jul 16, 2009
Low Key said:
Well, at least Sony is finally saying that it may not be Anon. It could very well be, but at least they aren't blindly pointing fingers. I feel better about this whole situation now. Sony was really starting to piss me off. Good thing I don't own a PS3 or I'd still be pissed.
WHY is SONY pissing you off? They've done NOTHING to provoke this vicious attack! What, they took away OtherOS/Linux? Only a vocal minority of hacker extremists even USED it. An OPTIONAL feature does NOT need to stay there forever. You buy a video games console that plays video games and bluray/DVD movies. That is what it is MADE for.

Ugh.. There are times these days where I'm not surprised the media strikes gamers and video games negatively.. There are vocal minority extremists that fuck things up for everyone else, simply because they're butthurt.

MattAn24

Pulse l'Cie
Jul 16, 2009
Dastardly said:
brinvixen said:
I love when you show up on forums. I always seem to agree with whatever you say, and you articulate the thought so well.

And in other news: just enough of the Sony attacks. Aren't you all bored of repeating the same thing over and over? At least Sony didn't sit idly by (within a week, they called in THREE security teams). They're just as frustrated as you, and at least they aren't sitting around pissing and moaning. They're working hard for their customers, so let's not let ALL our loyalty slide so fast.

I'm just excited for the freebies once things are up and running again. Maybe they'll put some of the GOOD Rock Band songs down for no charge!
Thanks! And I'm in agreement here, too. I've stopped chiming in on the Sony issue itself, but I felt that burning need (We all know it.) to chime in on this attempt to yet again tie Anonymous into the mix. I don't think enough can be said about how decidedly not-heroic they are.

About Sony, I was surprised to hear they'd hired three security forms, though. And so quickly, even. That's pretty damned thorough. I really have no loyalty toward Sony--I don't like what they do to MMOs, and I don't own any of their products--but it just gets harder and harder to blame them for this.
I agree with brinvixen, this community/forum needs more actual logic and wisdom like yours. It's good to finally see COMMON SENSE on here.

The only involvement I have with Sony is my PSP. And I just want this all to resolve so PSN can return and I can grab all the new DLC for Dissidia 012.

I also planned on picking up a PS3 only when decent games I actually want come out, like Final Fantasy Versus XIII, Kingdom Hearts 3, maybe Uncharted 3.. But I've started having second thoughts. Not because of Sony, but because of the elitist/extremist whackjob hackers that think they're better than everyone else. I don't WANT to hate GeoHotz either, he originally seemed "legitimate and innocent", but releasing the PS3 root key code to the public was a dick move. He could have easily just kept it to himself and there wouldn't have been a problem. His ongoing remarks just made me despise him more and more.

I am by no means a Sony, Microsoft, Nintendo, Apple or any game company fanboy. I'll play whatever I WANT to play depending on the GAME, not the company/supplier. But when shit like this happens, I just can't help but hate the fanboys and vocal extremists even more!

Nikolaz72

This place still alive?
Apr 23, 2009
MattAn24 said:
Nikolaz72 said:
Anon has no reason to steal credit card information from users. They are against Censorship and are sometimes doing stupid shit to prove that, but stealing personal data is not anti-censorship and I therefor could not believe Anon is involved.
I don't know about anyone else, but I do not want "Anonymous" representing ME for anti-censorship or anything.

In fact, THEY have released people's personal information in the past as well. Or have we all forgotten the Gawker incident as well? Anonymous CLAIMED involvement in that and it involved innocent people's personal details/passwords being put up on BitTorrent.

I'm all for standing up against censorship, in a sense, but NOT by maliciously hacking and taking people down with cyber attacks. That is NOT a noble or even remotely logical answer. Anonymous is STILL doing the wrong thing/going about things the wrong way, whether a small group of their "members" are involved in this or not.

Anonymous and al-Qaeda aren't exactly that different. They're terrorists. They're only causing MORE trouble.

Wikileaks has SOME merits, because it's uncovering government secrets that really should NOT be that secret. But there is a limit before it becomes blind extremist behaviour..
Why did you quote me then? All I stated was what you said in a less extreme way, they are stupid idiots with some degree of moral. They have nothing to gain in ways of positive reputation in the way of stealing credit cards. They have a core-group that to some degree manages the more important departments. So if anyone from Anon did this it is one of the self-proclaimed Anons (Just as much anon as the rest of them, duh) Until the point they do something that has nothing to do with Anon whereas they just become idiots without morals. If you went and, I dunno. Shut down World of Warcraft via hacking. I would not hold the escapist (Heck, your country) Accountable for it. What Sony was obviously trying to do was to condemn the whole group trying to point it out as another organized attack. When Anon obviously attacked the website and nothing else.

On a sidenote. When Anon leaves a three paragraph message when 'not' hacking WBC. You would think they would leave a book when managing to do this.

Low Key

May 7, 2009
MattAn24 said:
Low Key said:
Well, at least Sony is finally saying that it may not be Anon. It could very well be, but at least they aren't blindly pointing fingers. I feel better about this whole situation now. Sony was really starting to piss me off. Good thing I don't own a PS3 or I'd still be pissed.
WHY is SONY pissing you off? They've done NOTHING to provoke this vicious attack! What, they took away OtherOS/Linux? Only a vocal minority of hacker extremists even USED it. An OPTIONAL feature does NOT need to stay there forever. You buy a video games console that plays video games and bluray/DVD movies. That is what it is MADE for.

Ugh.. There are times these days where I'm not surprised the media strikes gamers and video games negatively.. There are vocal minority extremists that fuck things up for everyone else, simply because they're butthurt.
I believe you have taken what I said quite a bit out of context.

Please read what I said again. I'll paraphrase here too just its easier to understand where I'm coming from. Here goes: Sony get hacked. Sony knew Anon was DDoSing at the same time. Sony blames Anon for convenience instead of doing real investigative work. That's why I was getting pissed off.

But let's take a look at your comment for a second, keeping in mind that I never said Sony deserved to be attacked anywhere at all, ever.

Sony promoted the OtherOS feature, and whether you use it or thing anyone else uses it is irrelevant. Some people did in fact purchase the console solely because they could install Linux. They own it, they should be able to do whatever they want to the console. I don't know how things work in Australia, but here in America, that's what happens when a consumer purchases an item like a house, or a car, or some pants, or even a video game console.

None of this would have happened had they just kept the feature on the console (or if they had updated servers with a firewall, but that's neither here nor there). If it seems I'm a bit apathetic to Sony's plight, that's why. The feature certainly wasn't harming anything, right? But since they felt the need to remove it, those with the means took matters into their own hands. And because there are plenty of other nerds out there who install Linux on everything they can get their hands on, they released the needed resources onto the internet for all. Was putting the info into a repository right or wrong? Who knows? That's what the Hotz case was about. Why do you think Sony wanted to settle so quickly? Because they knew they were going to lose. It's no different from someone modding a game or changing the laces on a pair of shoes to a different color or refacing cabinets.

If there is any further confusion with anything I said, let me know. I'd be happy to explain it in greater detail with even more ridiculous, yet pertinent examples of modding.

thepyrethatburns

Sep 22, 2010
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/109842-Anonymous-Members-Hint-at-Unofficial-Involvement-in-PSN-Attack

And only those who have been passionately defending Anonymous are surprised.