Sony Renames PlayStation Network

Alpha Maeko

Uh oh, better get Maeko!
Apr 14, 2010
Without the Playstation line, Microsoft has no adversary for their demographic. They'd jack up the prices before you can say Master Chief.

So... I'm hoping Sony isn't killing the PS4, or at least that Nintendo is willing to pick up the slack and carry into that competitive role.

CleverCover

Nov 17, 2010
Christ?! What is this?

This doesn't mean the PS is dead. I mean they had a few really horrible years, but they can come back...right? They're just trying something new, something fresh...something that doesn't have that 'we messed up horribly' aftertaste.

Stop being so depressing people. T^T

Domehammer

Jun 17, 2011
This would be be kind of sad if there will be no ps4 but instead something else. I could see sony entertainment box 1, soul eating ninja's... well I was able to think of one name sort of. I wonder if it will be pronounced seen or sen like send without the d.

Apr 24, 2008
The_root_of_all_evil said:
Do you realise that this probably got someone paid more than your year's wages?
Yes, but only because that persons skill-set is so much more valuable than mine. Let's not pretend that you or I could come up with something so brilliant.

I got fired from my marketing job when my smear-test awareness campaign was unduly aimed at men...I saw a gap in the market.

D0WNT0WN

Sep 28, 2008
So why is everyone having a big circle jerk 'o hate about Sony changing the name of "Playstation Network" to "Sony Entertainment Network". Seems pretty abritrary to me unless they are planning to release a console that isnt branded as a Playstation.

viranimus

Thread killer
Nov 20, 2009
Honestly? I think it makes sense. No it is not Sony trying to bow out of the console market. It is sony trying to expand their online connectivity platform. This sort of change could allow them to expand their hardware capability to include things like Sony Erricson phones, Walkman based media players, Bravia tvs with intergrated applications, and a myriad of other platforms where they would like to introduce internet related connectivity. The name change allows the same uniform platform to be properly applicable to all devices. Does it make sense to access the playstation network for applications for your car cd player so you can download new music to it? Does it make sense to have a different name for each application?

It makes sense. If you dont think so, compare it to Microsoft. You have, Xbox live, Games for windows live, Windows live ID, Zune marketplace, etc all for what is essentially the same interconnected platform.

However... even if this does make sense Its a moot point for me personally because I cannot accept these terms and conditons, because I cant even GET to these terms and conditions because Sony has yet to undo making an illegal requirement of waiver of right to class action litigation as a part of their prior terms and condition. So I wont get to agree or disagree with this set of terms and conditions because I would have to accept the others first and i will NOT ever accept terms and conditions that require me to give up legal rights, simply to access online connectivity. So personally as far as I am concerned they can rename their network to the S.ony H.uman I.nternet T.ransaction S.ystem for all I care.Until they extract that clause, thats the only way I will view sonys online offerings and the people who made that decision. As a gigantic sack of S.H.I.T.S

Beautiful End

Feb 15, 2011
Oh...because you MUST know that PlayStation is related to Sony. I mean, the name PSN is not specific enough. You must remember that fact every time you mention/refer to something PlayStation specific, clearly.

Geez, kids these days. So misinformed.

But seriously, I'm not against it, it's just that I don't get why now...and why that name. or why not something better/ more catchy? It makes me doubt their motives.
Also, it reminds me of the word Zen. Buying stuff online isn't zen. What is this brainwash..?

mjc0961

YOU'RE a pie chart.
Nov 30, 2009
This site didn't know how to read either. Sony never said they were changing the name of Playstation Network, only the name of the account you access Playstation Network with. Sad that nobody on this site bothered to read the e-mail thoroughly. I did though, so I knew the name Playstation Network wasn't going anywhere.

BTW, the update is out now, and just like the e-mail said when it got sent out, you were wrong:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v611/mjc0961/IMG_1111.jpg
See? Still called Playstation Network, but now you log in with an SEN account instead of a PSN account. Just like Sony's e-mail stated would happen! If only you guys had bothered to read that e-mail.

Don't feel too bad about getting it wrong, though. Nearly the entire Internet did, because nobody reads anything anymore. I'm one of the few people who does know how to read and got it right. And don't worry, you too can be as awesome as me one day. All you have to do is learn to read and then use those skills when someone sends you an e-mail, and you won't make stupid mistakes like this one anymore. It's really easy to learn to do, I promise.