Sony Sells Over 5.3 Million PS4s Worldwide Since Launch

BrotherRool

Oct 31, 2008
fix-the-spade said:
BrotherRool said:
1)No price cuts this year, not even at Christmas.
I think this depends on Microsoft, if the Xbone gets a price cut (or a Kinect free version) then Sony will shave at least $50 off the hardware price to keep a hold of that cost advantage. To the average consumer getting a game effectively free when you buy a PS4 vs Xbone is a much bigger draw than the PS4's power advantage or the Xbone's creepy CCTV system. Most buyers probably know nothing about either unless the Gamestop guy tells them so.
It's going to be interesting if Sony does decide to cut along with Microsoft. Historically the 'winning' console doesn't. The 360 didn't slash to go along with the PS3. And Sony's financials are still really shaky, they're going to want to avoid losses as much as possible.

On the other hand, I think it would be pretty smart. They probably shouldn't if MS just drops the price $50, but if MS does a Kinect-free version at $100 cheaper then Sony could keep up the advantage by cutting too. It might be enough to relegate the MS to a definite second place this time around.

Either way, I can't see MS cutting prices before Christmas unless it turns out that the Xbox absolutely tanked in February-July. The other thing that could prove me wrong is, both companies are using much more normal hardware this time around and maybe the price of that is going to drop more quickly than normal.

Trishbot

May 10, 2011

I wonder if Microsoft will actually go through with selling a Kinect-less version of the system.

It would shave $100 off the system, developers would be more open to develop for it without Kinect gimmicks, few customers really take full advantage of it, it would broaden their international market, and it would focus all their energies on games rather than Kinect features.

...It would also rob them of the one, single thing they have against PS4, leaving them with an underpowered system whose biggest system sellers have lost their luster over time, while probably upsetting all the people who bought an Xbox One based on the Kinect 2.0 features above all else.

Either way, good on Sony. Great system. Can't wait to see The Order and Final Fantasy XV going wild on it.

Buizel91

Autobot
Aug 25, 2008
Trishbot said:

I wonder if Microsoft will actually go through with selling a Kinect-less version of the system.

It would shave $100 off the system, developers would be more open to develop for it without Kinect gimmicks, few customers really take full advantage of it, it would broaden their international market, and it would focus all their energies on games rather than Kinect features.

...It would also rob them of the one, single thing they have against PS4, leaving them with an underpowered system whose biggest system sellers have lost their luster over time, while probably upsetting all the people who bought an Xbox One based on the Kinect 2.0 features above all else.

Either way, good on Sony. Great system. Can't wait to see The Order and Final Fantasy XV going wild on it.
They will have to if they want to try and beat Sonys sales, it's the only way to get that price down and be able to sell the console in other countries.

Why they didn't have 2 versions at launch is beyond me -.-

Buizel91

Autobot
Aug 25, 2008
james.sponge said:
Query: does it have any games? I mean worthwhile games, not Kill Zone.
I only have assassins creed and tomb raider atm, with outlast downloaded for free off psn

Quite a few games come out this month for it though, like the new infamous game and thief, so this month is the best time to buy it

Pigeon_Grenade

May 29, 2008
its not a sell for me yet. theres currently nothing i wanna play on it, Closest game i know i do wanna play on it is Infamous second son

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
james.sponge said:
Not yet. Assuming you mean exclusives then the best things coming seem to be Capcom's Deep Down and inFamous: Second Son.

However im not totally up to date with its upcoming releases myself, since i joined the PC Gaming Master Race in full a few months back.

TerribleAssassin

Apr 11, 2010
BrotherRool said:
My next prediction is 1)No price cuts this year, not even at Christmas. Not only is Sony not in a position to afford it, but price-cuts can leave the early adopters feeling sore and they're Sony's most valuable customers. They've got too much momentum to cut prices this year.
Well they can justify no price cuts easily, compared to the XOne and the Wii U, the PS4 packs serious horsepower and is substantially cheaper than it's nearest competitor. Also, XOne probably won't be able to threaten the PS4's cost with a price cut without taking serious losses on systems sold and the mainstream still don't know what the Wii U is for the most part.

So in short, Sony are safe with no price cuts.

james.sponge

Mar 4, 2013
gigastar said:
james.sponge said:
Not yet. Assuming you mean exclusives then the best things coming seem to be Capcom's Deep Down and inFamous: Second Son.

However im not totally up to date with its upcoming releases myself, since i joined the PC Gaming Master Race in full a few months back.
Still no exclusives? ok, going back to my steam library :D

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
Micheal Herrera said:
well this is partially because xbone is only sold in 13~ regions, among other things like "big brother" kinect, etc.

Then again who ever in microsoft said "let's limit the launch regions!" is kicking himself.
There's alot of kicking going around the Microsoft departments. I would say that between everything wrong and bad with the X-Bone, Windows 8, the tablets, the practices, the Valve guy leaving, and other things...there's just one big long kicking conga line going on as the rest of the staff shovel money out the window shouting "BAIL FASTER!!".

OT: I would like to comment on the subject of people taking shots at Sony's victory lap just because they're the only ones who didn't fuck up. As much as we take the piss out of other companies for their stupid mistakes (case in point), we have to understand something here. Regardless of whether or not this was what customers wanted, this was what they thought was going to be the new thing and well-accepted after who-know-how-many board meetings at whatever company you see fit to mention.

It WAS a bad idea, because case proven so. Business is sometimes a gamble when you push off into uncharted territory. It's not Sony's fault that they placed a safe bet and got a little money while everyone else all got snake-eyes. It's not simply that the ideas were bad. I mean, they were, but what's most important was that they were untested and maybe put in place because of greed. Well, more greed than usual.

The point is that there's no reason to take the fire out of Sony's win just because they got to casually stroll to the finish line while Microsoft had a stroke or something. That's life. I have said before that something is going to break around here with these questionable practices, that companies were going to fall if it keeps up. Well, it was true, and Sony saw it coming, hunkered down, and avoided a big mess.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
Micheal Herrera said:
well this is partially because xbone is only sold in 13~ regions, among other things like "big brother" kinect, etc.
See, that does not matter since even in countries (why you call it regions?) that Xbox is sold PS4 is outselling it. liek the recent article where PS4 sold almost twice the amount than Xbox in microsofts stronghold - USA

james.sponge said:
sentence does not parse. first you ask if it has any games, then you as if it has worthwile games. To the first question i answer yes - it has games. The second ones reply is personal to everyone and as such i cannot say as i do not know your tastes.

Leonardo Huizar said:
All I want is backwards compatibility THEN i might buy it this next Black Friday
Not possible.