Sony Sends Mixed Messages on PS Vita's Profitability

Cliff_m85

Feb 6, 2009
Does the PS Vita come pre-hacked to allow for the online dispersal of your credit card info?

The Lugz

Apr 23, 2011
Technicolor said:
I think Sony is seriously overestimating the popularity of their handheld. Nintendo can also be at fault of that with their 3DS.

A Handheld is a niche gaming device that at one point had no real competition from other markets. But the smartphones have begun to change that.

If I had the choice between a smartphone or a 3DS/Vita, I would take the Smartphone, I already have a DS, and practically everyone else does, and I'm fully satisfied with it. I don't see the need to pay for another handheld, that is so comparatively limited to popular technology.
i'm not so sure about that, you wont be getting many of the games that make the play-station popular on your smartphone people that are giant sony fans, will probably have a smartphone for plants vs zombies, and stick to regular wipeout, crash, lego, tekken, type games that are popular on hand-helds and consoles

the game industry is an ever evolving one and i don't claim to be an expert, but it seems to me people like to stick to what they know

i think handheld sony devices will continue to be popular until full pc tablets are the same price, size and can compete in gaming experience
the problem is, smart phones and tablets will be more expensive for the same capability's because of the cheap-hardware-overpriced-software concept of portable, and stationary home entertainment games consoles
so that my well never happen, who knows

Vyress

Jul 12, 2010
Technicolor said:
Snax said:
Technicolor said:
To sum things up, you don't need a technological powerhouse to play or make games the handheld market is created for.
The problem I have is that I want a portable technological powerhouse to play games on. I have an xbox360 and a PSP. Guess which one has nearly no games and yet guess which one I play more. Yeah, the PSP. I like being able to play decent games anywhere, on the train, on a bus, in the car, at night when I just can't be bothered powering on my console or pc, etc. The only smartphone that has any hope of changing my mind is the Xperia Play as it is the only one that has a decent control scheme and a possibility of having decent games, but something tells me that it isn't going to be enough.

I want to be able to play real games when I am away from home, and the Vita is pretty much my only choice. I want to be able to race in 3D with physical responsive controls. I want to be able to play a 3D plat-former with an in-depth storyline. Currently the PSP is already struggling to match the processing power of a smartphone, and yet I still would prefer to game with it instead of a smartphone, and the reason is purely because it is designed for it.

I just hope they keep the instant on/off function that the PSP had and release some more games.
Vyress said:
Technicolor said:
I think Sony is seriously overestimating the popularity of their handheld. Nintendo can also be at fault of that with their 3DS.

A Handheld is a niche gaming device that at one point had no real competition from other markets. But the smartphones have begun to change that.

If I had the choice between a smartphone or a 3DS/Vita, I would take the Smartphone, I already have a DS, and practically everyone else does, and I'm fully satisfied with it. I don't see the need to pay for another handheld, that is so comparatively limited to popular technology.
Their handheld is quite popular actually o.o
PSP sold about 70 million units worldwide. Sounds popular to me.
In contrast to you, I'd pick the Vita if I had the choice, cause I don't see the need for a smartphone for me. I don't see the need for shelling out 40 euros per month for something I am paying for already (internet at home) but I suppose these days I'm an exception in that regard.

I have a DS. And just like you I am satisfied with it. But that doesn't mean that there haven't been any titles on the PSP that interested me. I would have very much liked to play MGS Peacewalker, FF Dissidia, Phantasy Star Portable etc. but I didn't want to buy another device for 150 bucks so I refrained from doing so.

Games on a smartphone are like those social games on Facebook. Sure. There is a certain amount of people playing them but only because they are implemented on a platform that they'd be using anyway, whether there are games on it or not. People who have a DS/PSP and a smartphone won't say their smartphone is a fair substitute for their handheld. Kinda like how you'll never hear people say "I quit WoW/CoD for -insert zynga game here-!".
There is absolutely nothing wrong with wanting any upcoming Handheld and I for one encourage you to do so, as long as you understand that you are apart of a niche market. Both of the "next-gen" handhelds have to compete with other portable devices, it isn't just about gaming but capability of use and entertainment. You are gamers, meaning you are entertained by more complex video Games, ones you're willing to pay $40 dollars for, which is what the handheld consoles offer. However most other people are just as easily entertained with any Iphone with internet capabilities, thus allowing for a much wider capabilites.

Video Games are apart of the entertainment industry, and as such they receive competition from other divisions of it, such as "AAA" video games stealing the attention from big budget movies, The inverse occurs as well, and the handhelds are in direct competition with the smartphones & music devices. Only in the public masses a handheld has justify itself, "Why should you pick me instead", and that currently is only determined by one's determination to play certain video games. However, as the Nintendo Wii has proven, there is a much larger casual market that arent so willing to pay so much for a gaming device, when in their perspective they can get the games they want to play on any smartphone, its a two way street for the entertainment industry.
My point still stands that the PSP sold 70 million units.
The 3DS and the PSP did quite well despite smartphones being around. Were they a part of said niche market? Of course.
Did it stop them from being successful? Nope, not from what I can tell.

Let's put it in a different perspective: if smartphones were not around do you believe those people that are 'entertained by an iPhone with internet capabilities' as you put it would automatically buy a handheld just because they wouldn't have any other form of portable entertainment to speak of?
I don't think so.

I don't know why you are specifically naming the casual market here in that manner simply because what you say about them doesn't really apply: how did they not pay a significant amount to play on the Wii? I know when I buy games for the Wii I am rid off just as much money as I am when I buy games for any other platform. And I don't believe the PS Vita is aiming for them either. Surely the 70 million people that bought the PSP aren't part of that market. Doesn't make the number any less significant though. Just because it may not be aimed at the casual market doesn't mean it's not gonna be profitable. The market is out there and it's big, whether it's a niche market or not.

And it's not like people only buy a DS or PSP over a home console only because it is portable either. There are also people that own a DS or PSP and just play it at home. People that simply preferred either of those 2 platforms over any home console.
Just because they are portable doesn't mean that portability (hope that's a word xD) is their only selling point over other gaming devices. They are just as much console as the Xbox 360, PS3 or Wii are with their own selling points, library and charm.

Sony is simply going with the times and evolving the handheld platform. Being able to voice chat while playing, having their own social network and so on: these are all things that are the standard in gaming these days. Being able to play with other people worldwide wherever you are is just the next step. It's not trying to be a smartphone. It's simply doing what it can with current technology, and at a fair price at that.

And btw: no one complained about the PS3, Xbox 360 or any other console before that being aimed at a niche market even though there's the PC already, right? Same thing really. :3