Sony: Shooter Fans Prefer PS4

Leg End

Romans 12:18
Oct 24, 2010
Country
United States
Paragon Fury said:
The Playstation controller has always been 100% pure shit for reflex games like shooters and fighting games - the Nintendo and Xbox offerings have always been better.
I seriously hope you're joking when you're talking about Nintendo controllers(that aren't the Wii U's current options) being good for FPSes.
Especially since the sticks are worse quality
Funny enough I've never had an issue controlling anything with the sticks, but I have had an issue with 360 sticks because they start losing their dead zone after, in some cases, a month and become unusable.
and the control scheme makes no sense and can't be changed where it matters - why the hell are the bumpers shoot and the triggers actions Sony? WHY?!
Because the triggers kind of suck for FPSes but I also wish we at least had a choice. Though, I've always found single shot weapons to be very comfortable with the L1/R1 combo.

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
Programmed_For_Damage said:
Sorry, but as much as the PS4 control is a LOT better than it's PS3 counterpart, the Xbox One controller is still superior. That's why I prefer shooters on the Bone.
Personally, I have to disagree. I've enjoyed playing FPS games with my DS4 far more than I have with any Xbone controller. I've even used the DS4 on my PC. Can't say the same of the Xbone controller.

Weaver said:
I still only play FPS on PC. I can't aim for shit with a controller lol.
Neither can I, normally, but I do much, much better on the DS4 than most other controllers. You should give it a try.

Not that it'll replace a good K&M combo, of course.

Fappy said:
I like the dual shock 4, but the Xbone controller is way better for shooters imo. If I had both and I had to pick which console to buy an FPS on I would probably go Xbone. Though, I don't play shooter's anymore anyway :p
Honestly, the DS4 analog sticks make the Xbone's seem like they're worn out. They have just the right amount of resistance and grip. The Xbone's feel flimsy by comparison.

I've not tried the Elite controller, mind you, but I, nor anyone I know who owns an Xbone, has any interest in paying $150+ for a controller. It may be a while before I get to try one.

Paragon Fury said:
why the hell are the bumpers shoot and the triggers actions Sony? WHY?!
Um...what the hell FPS games are you playing that ONLY allow the R1 and L1 buttons to shoot? I have Killzone, Ghosts, and several other shooters on my PS4 and not one has their control schemes limited to R1 and L1 firing.

CrystalShadow

don't upset the insane catgirl
Apr 11, 2009
... I thought shooter fans preferred PC?

Or is that just the hipster snob variety of shooter fans? XD

Paragon Fury

The Loud Shadow
Jan 23, 2009
Vigormortis said:
Programmed_For_Damage said:
Sorry, but as much as the PS4 control is a LOT better than it's PS3 counterpart, the Xbox One controller is still superior. That's why I prefer shooters on the Bone.
Personally, I have to disagree. I've enjoyed playing FPS games with my DS4 far more than I have with any Xbone controller. I've even used the DS4 on my PC. Can't say the same of the Xbone controller.

Weaver said:
Neither can I, normally, but I do much, much better on the DS4 than most other controllers. You should give it a try.

Fappy said:
I like the dual shock 4, but the Xbone controller is way better for shooters imo. If I had both and I had to pick which console to buy an FPS on I would probably go Xbone. Though, I don't play shooter's anymore anyway :p
Honestly, the DS4 analog sticks make the Xbone's seem like they're worn out. They have just the right amount of resistance and grip. The Xbone's feel flimsy by comparison.

I've not tried the Elite controller, mind you, but I, nor anyone I know who owns an Xbone, has any interest in paying $150+ for a controller. It may be a while before I get to try one.

Paragon Fury said:
why the hell are the bumpers shoot and the triggers actions Sony? WHY?!
Um...what the hell FPS games are you playing that ONLY allow the R1 and L1 buttons to shoot? I have Killzone, Ghosts, and several other shooters on my PS4 and not one has their control schemes limited to R1 and L1 firing.
The problem was for many shooters, at least on PS3, I could not get a Tactical/Bumper Jumper control scheme that had the shooting on the triggers AND had the other buttons where I wanted them.

On Xbox, Tactical for Call of Duty has LT/RT for ADS/Shoot, LB/RB for Grenades, Left Stick for Sprint and Right Stick for change stance. On PS3 Tactical didn't move the shooting the triggers - and the crappy PS3 sticks weren't very good for the stance buttons.

sXeth

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 15, 2012
I would've figured in legitimate competition (not just we have more players thereby we have more of X players) Xbone would claim that, since they have Gears and Halo, which are established top-selling shooter franchises (though I can't stand Gears, and kind of meh at Halo (possibly not helped by hating the Xbox controller). Kind of like I'd expect platforming players to probably favor a Wii-U.

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
Paragon Fury said:
The problem was for many shooters, at least on PS3, I could not get a Tactical/Bumper Jumper control scheme that had the shooting on the triggers AND had the other buttons where I wanted them.

On Xbox, Tactical for Call of Duty has LT/RT for ADS/Shoot, LB/RB for Grenades, Left Stick for Sprint and Right Stick for change stance. On PS3 Tactical didn't move the shooting the triggers - and the crappy PS3 sticks weren't very good for the stance buttons.
Fair 'nough. In all honesty, I felt the same about the DS3 controllers. In fact, up until the DS4 I've hated Sony's Playstation controllers. They were always tiny, flimsy-feeling, and just all around abysmal. But something about the DS4 just feels....right, in my hands.

I used to use my 360 controller for games on PC, but I haven't touched it in months. Not since getting my DS4 and Steam Controller. Going back to it (and even holding an Xbone controller) just feels off.

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
Vigormortis said:
Weaver said:

Sounds good! I actually picked up a destiny PS4 recently (to play Disgaea) and haven't got into it yet, but I'll for sure have to learn how to shoot soon lol.

Zacharious-khan

Mar 29, 2011
Johnny Novgorod said:
I can imagine the guys at Sony celebrating.

Springtime for Sony and PS4,
Winter for Xbox and Wii,
Don't be stupid, be a smarty, come and join the Sony party!
I see what you did there and i approve heartily. 10/10

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
Shooter fans prefer mouse aiming, and as far as i know you cannot do that on PS4 or Xbox One.

CrystalShadow said:
... I thought shooter fans preferred PC?

Or is that just the hipster snob variety of shooter fans? XD
CS:Go, a PC exclusive, is a largest shooter game in gaming history. So yeah, shooter fans do prefer PC it seems.

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
Adam3s said:
I'm not one to normally critique a person's post but jeez this is some elitist BS. This is like saying someone can't be a movie fan if they don't have a 4K TV.
No it isn't: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fan_%28person%29

It's more like someone can't be a movie fan if all they do is watch TV shows. You literally can't be a fan of shooters if you don't play them on PC because PC is literally the place where THE BEST shooters are. The iconic, exclusive shooters that you can't NOT play and call yourself a fan. You can think that you're a fan, but you'd be wrong.

mysecondlife

Feb 24, 2011
Probably an indirect response to Microsoft's saying "We have halo and call of duty so we're the best"

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
As a Sony Pony, in regards to the controller:

I obviously love the buckets out of it, it feels so right in my hand and was such a huge improvement over the DS3. Which I guess was not hard to do. I hate the Xbone controllers, playing games with them legitimately gives me cramps and really damp hands.

I also realize that controller quality is EXTREMELY subjective and probably the only reason I dont like Xbox controllers is because I have exclusively gamed on Playstations for nearly ten years now.

And regarding statements about console players not being real shooter fans?

Seriously?

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
Well, let's see. Since I'm much better at them on console, yes, it is true.

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
Weaver said:
Sounds good! I actually picked up a destiny PS4 recently (to play Disgaea) and haven't got into it yet, but I'll for sure have to learn how to shoot soon lol.
That's the same PS4 bundle I picked up. I assume yours is the white case with white controller too?

Funny thing is, I've had it for about two months now and I've still not gotten around to playing Destiny. I've played through COD: Ghosts, Killzone, and am working my way through inFamous: Second Son. I have no idea what's keeping me from playing Destiny[footnote]Besides, maybe, you know.....not having a PS+ account yet....[/footnote].

Glaice

Mar 18, 2013
Did Sony even research that mouse and keyboard input is vastly superior to a controller?