Sony Sits the Walkman

Cadapalo

Jun 8, 2010
I didn't realize they were still making them. I live right by the border and I still see the occasional music tape from time to time. The market over there is slowly changing to cds for everything. I wouldn't mind snagging on to one of the last walkman and keep it in good condition to see if its value would go really high later on.

linwolf

Jan 9, 2010
I still remember I got a Walkman. It made sitting under a tree reading go from being almost the perfect way too spend an afternoon too the perfect way too spend an afternoon.

Mikester1290

Jun 29, 2010
Gotta love that non volatile memory chaps. It has destroyed the Walkmen and now it's after your Harddrives!

Andronicus

Terror Australis
Mar 25, 2009
I'm too young to have been a part of the walkman generation; I just skipped straight to CD players. Still, it's nice to know where it all began. R.I.P Sony Walkman. May you deliver melodies to the gods for all eternity.

TK421

Apr 16, 2009
I still have both of mine!! One is one of the aforementioned mono-headphones ones though.

The Ambrosian

Paperboy
May 9, 2009
Onyx Oblivion said:
R.I.P. Walkman.

That remind me...I need to finally get an MP3 player or at least a smartphone. I mostly just play my DS in situations where I'd use an MP3 player, though.
How do you manage to get first post on absolutely everything?!

On topic: I think I had a CD Walkman when I was a kid, not to sure...

Anti-Robot Man

Apr 5, 2010
I've owned Tape, CD and MiniDisc Walkmen, tape never sounded great but was definately the best for year. I barely used my CD one because it was an early model that had huge problems with skipping (plus tapes made it really cheap and easy to record whatever you wanted). MiniDisc was like the best of both worlds, the easy recording, no skipping, small form factor of tape combined with the sound quality of CDs. Unfortunately it was too expensive and had to compete against smaller, cheaper MP3 players so it died off fast (the only thing it had on them was audio quality and arguably storage depending on you point of view).
I don't really understand why anyone would be unhappy about technology moving on, I love progress.

Master10K

Feb 12, 2010
I've still got my old Walkman and tapes. Might as well listen to some my old tunes, to remember the good times I had with this antique piss of crap.

Living Contradiction

Clearly obfusticated
Nov 8, 2009
The time has come, the walrus said, to speak of modern things.
Of discs and earbuds and MP3s, of Sony's box of springs.
And why cassettes have become as dead as a pair of zombie wings.
Kalu, kaleh, Walkman died today, and this song doesn't rhyme.

Ah well. I guess I'll have to poke around a pawn shop to find something to listen to my cassette collection on.

dmase

Mar 12, 2009
Ha we all knew the cassette couldn't out jive the portable record player.

groovy man

Fire Daemon

Quoth the Daemon
Dec 18, 2007
My MP3 player is a Sony 'Walkman'. It still lives, just in a different form. Like a Pokemon.

Nimzar

Nov 30, 2009
Andy Chalk said:
Sony has announced that the batch of Walkmans (Walkmen?) shipped to Japanese retailers in April will be the last.
Walkmans were still being shipped to places in April 2010... o_O News to me. I thought they had stopped making them ages ago.

KP Shadow

Jul 7, 2009
ewhac said:
There had been cassette players of various smallness prior to the Walkman, and while Sony's effort was impressive in its own right, that wasn't IMHO what made the Walkman a raging success.

It was the headphones.

Prior to Walkman, personal listening involved either monaural plastic knobs you wore in a single ear and which sounded thin as all hell (when you could hear them at all); or a couple of "cans" holding small paper-cone speakers, which were bulky, heavy, and sounded fairly muddy.

Walkman was among the first (if not [em]the[/em] first) to offer headphones made with rare-earth magnets (Sarium Cobalt, I think) and mylar diaphragms. The frequency response and fidelity was astonishing compared to everything that came before. Not only did the new headphones sound infinitely better, they were also more compact, thus lending themselves to portable audio.

If you'd had previous experience with portable electronics and their poor headphones, the experience of hearing a Walkman for the first time was literally jaw-dropping.
Of course, nowadays, it's somehow possible to get a pair of dollar store headphones that are even higher quality than a pair of $10 headphones from Target. I shit you not.

OT: I never had a cassette-based Walkman, but I did have the Walkman Mini-Disc player. I have a mini-disc with bunch of songs by Seal (as in the guy who did "Kiss from a Rose") that my father recorded off of the radio and such, and one of Bruce Springsteen's albums.