Sony stumbles

Dragonbums

Indulge in it's whiffy sensation
May 9, 2013
Anyone who declares a console dead out of the water a year after it's release in my opinion are dumb.

Especially seeing as how last gen the PS3 took 2-3 years before it kicked off the ground, the 3DS took 2 years(?) before it started selling, etc. etc.

No folks. Consoles don't start to shine or sink until it's in it's second year or so.

I don't expect any different with the Xbox One or the PS4.

Lovely Mixture

Jul 12, 2011
The only thing Sony has been stumbling on is the Vita. I'm not gonna buy a next gen console, but I'd really like Sony to begin porting Vita games to the PS3.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
TehCookie said:
There's too many fanboys for that.
Which is why Microsoft only started to regain ground after they pulled an Xbox OneEighty.

rhizhim said:
unless you can stack microsoft mouses and xbox controllers and it magically merges into a working pc, you should better not try to punch "the master race" as long as there is something out there called linux and open source.
How fortunate, then, that most games run on Linux.

Oh, crap.

you still remember the PS4 ?will out-power most PCs for years to come? blarant statement, do you?
Oh, it totally will. Despite the fact that the processor and a BD drive are pretty much the only things is smokes this PC I'm using on, PCs will never be able to match the power of a non-upgradable unit designed with year-old technology. Checkmate, PC gamers. Game over.

Not like I could slap an eight core processor into my PC or anything if I felt the need.

Eve Charm said:
Well sony doesn't have to do much other then getting COD running at 1080P and MS only managing 720P to change the minds of people that want to spend bucket loads of money to have the most powerful and best experience that isn't a pc.
Are you kidding? There's probably going to be a ton of people who ordered the Xbone specifically arguing that the Bone version looks better anyway.

Fox12

AccursedT- see you space cowboy
Jun 6, 2013
The Xbone will do well, the PS4 will do better. They haven't really messed anything up yet, unlike Microsoft, who seem to enjoy self punishment. The launch line up is always terrible, so I'll go play Persona until such a time as the lineup is good and I have the money to actually purchase a PS4.

TehCookie

Elite Member
Sep 16, 2008
Zachary Amaranth said:
TehCookie said:
There's too many fanboys for that.
Which is why Microsoft only started to regain ground after they pulled an Xbox OneEighty.
Yeah, because now they have the customers who doesn't blindly follow them wanting it as well.

Thr33X

Aug 23, 2013
Matthew Jabour said:
Did I mention financials? Sony has been suffering a string of financial setbacks for months now. The fact that their games section only losing $8 million is the least of their worries is, in fact, the greatest of their worries. Nintendo hasn't quite been in the black, either, but their sales numbers allow a lot more optimism than Sony's, with a slow growth steadily emerging. And Microsoft's doing just fine, especially since they also make money off of their PC sales. (By the way, nice job, PC master race! You're certainly striking a bold move against the Big 3 by picking one of them and supporting them financially! Truly, you are the wise ones.)
I suppose with all of these factoids you neglected to state the most obvious point...90% of people who buy PCs/Laptops don't buy them solely to play games on. Of all the one-sided drivel of your post that right there is the most glaring example of someone who just typed what was in his head without really thinking about what the hell he was talking about.

Not since the 16-bit generation has there been a console launch that could be considered "successful" by any stretch, so the cautionary actions by third party devs to pull back games shouldn't really be a surprise to anyone. Sony's been in this position before, starting off with a sputter...but they finished with a stride. Microsoft now is the one's starting slow out of the gates, but not with a sputter, but a self-inflicted gunshot wound to the foot. They will in time recover, and it's the games that are going to help rehabilitate this, just as with Sony in the soon to be previous era of games. Problem with that however is that based on the previous era, Sony offers better quality games. How many MS exclusives have won GOTY honors compared to Sony? I rest my case there.

As for the case of Ryse, Dead Rising and Titanfall...the only one's really looking forward to those titles are XBox users...who're going to get these games regardless of public or personal opinion, of which in my opinion, Ryse and DR3 are pretty underwhelming to begin with.

The first months of next-gen will be dominated by the big guns of the industry...emphasis on GUNS, with CoD:Ghosts and Battlefield 4, and whether or not you like these titles is irrelevant because they both have MASSIVE userbases which will buy up their respective franchises on their respective consoles at or soon after launch.

Whether or not the PS4/XB1 launches are as successful as previous generation launches rests little to nothing on anything you said, and more on the fact that this generation's gap is the smallest it's ever been. We went from 8 to 16-bit, then from 16-bit to CD-ROM, then from CD-ROM to DVD-ROM, then from Standard Def to HD. This generation upcoming's only innovation is more processing power and memory to make it comparable to PC-which is not that big of an innovation to warrant droves of people waiting on line for hours to get their launch consoles on Day 1.

Except...that's exactly what's going to happen, because as the end of the day if people want something they're going to get it, and that holds truer than anything anyone has said or will further say in this thread.

TomWiley

Jul 20, 2012
Here's my two-cents, and they are pretty exactly the same thoughts/opinions I had since the days after E3

*No sane gamer wants any console to fail. We all want the Xbox One to succeed. We all want the PS4 to succeed. We all want competition and a healthy gaming industry. If you don't, well then yeah. That's dumb.

*This whole "M$ is evil" mentality is also dumb. Straight up dumb. Giving you the option to as a consumer buy a product which requires Internet connection to function properly, especially when that Internet connection is justified by a whole bunch of digital sharing features and dedicated server space for the developers, is not anti-consumerist. And rebuilding their entire architecture based on consumer feedback is certainly not anti-consumerist either.

*I already got a high-end PC, but if I do end up buying a console I'll go where the games are, and everyone should do the same. Right now, for me, that's the console with Forza, Titanfall, Dead Rising 3, and not the one with Killzone.

Vivi22

Aug 22, 2010
So your criticism is that Sony doesn't have a strong launch line up of games on the same level as stuff like COD or Uncharted? Have you never seen a console launch before? Because the only good one I've ever seen in my 28 years on this planet was the Dreamcast. Just one.

The PS4 having Killzone alone puts it ahead of most console launches to be honest, even if I agree it's not the strongest title out there. But what does the XBone have at launch? Pretty much nothing. Kind of like the Wii U had nothing. And the PS3, 360, and Wii had nothing. And the PS2, Gamecube, and Xbox had nothing. I'm pretty sure we can all see where this is headed.

But possibly the weirdest part of your argument is that you go on to say that the XBone launch lineup looks good because of Dead Rising, Ryse, and Titanfall? Ignoring the obvious fact that Titanfall is going to be coming out next March, Dead Rising, while a silly fun series is pretty niche and certainly won't be a system seller. And Ryse, while an impressive looking game on a technical level which makes sense since Crytek is making it, looks like the shittiest God of War clone yet. If anyone is actually excited about something that looks that boring (and since this is Crytek, safe bet it will look pretty but be completely average in every way that actually matters) then they deserve to waste their money. As much as the PS4 launch lineup isn't hugely compelling, the XBone lineup is at least just as bad. And they don't have a lot of stuff in the pipe that isn't named Titanfall. At least if you want to do more than play COD with mechs, the PS4 is going to have more variety to offer in the next year from the looks of it.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
TehCookie said:
Yeah, because now they have the customers who doesn't blindly follow them wanting it as well.
So you're admitting fanboys weren't sufficient to keep the system competitive and undermining your original point, thus agreeing with me? Sweet.

Glad we could come to an agreement.

TehCookie

Elite Member
Sep 16, 2008
Zachary Amaranth said:
TehCookie said:
So you're admitting fanboys weren't sufficient to keep the system competitive and undermining your original point, thus agreeing with me? Sweet.

Glad we could come to an agreement.
I never said fanboys would keep up with the PS3 if the DRM was still true, fanboys would only keep the xbone afloat compared to completely bombing.

Apl_J

Jun 16, 2011
What I don't understand is how people don't learn from the previous generations.

If I remember right, the N64 only had like 6 games for its first six months. The 360 had its hardware fiasco, and the PS3 was, what, $600? It was also a complete nightmare to develop for. Do you remember any launch titles that held up well? Has any launch title ever been spectacular?

There is no such thing as a great launch in video game world, aside from perhaps the Wii and SNES. What's more is this generation is primed to make the most changes to what exactly the home console is. When I see how different development is on the next-gen consoles, plus the fact that multi-plats for current/next gen don't take full advantage of the hardware, and I personally can't find a reason to turf my 360.

I haven't reserved anything next gen, not out of responsibly managing money or anything like that, but purely out of utter disinterest. Unlike the rest of the electronic road, the X1 and PS4 will be exactly the same next year, only likely to be cheaper, with better hardware, better dashboard, more features, and last but not least, exclusively next-gen titles that actually use all those shiny parts on the inside to make something truly great. I'll just wait till then.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
TehCookie said:
I never said fanboys would keep up with the PS3 if the DRM was still true, fanboys would only keep the xbone afloat compared to completely bombing.
Outselling 20to 1 is not being kept afloat. Be realistic.

Fanboys couldn't keep the original Xbox from taking losses with likely higher numbers. Fiscally, it was a failure. Yet somehow, this would be more successful (than an almost complete failure by any real metric) wth a much more lopsided run?

Yeah, sorry, don't buy it.

Matthew Jabour

Jan 13, 2012
Thr33X said:
Matthew Jabour said:
Did I mention financials? Sony has been suffering a string of financial setbacks for months now. The fact that their games section only losing $8 million is the least of their worries is, in fact, the greatest of their worries. Nintendo hasn't quite been in the black, either, but their sales numbers allow a lot more optimism than Sony's, with a slow growth steadily emerging. And Microsoft's doing just fine, especially since they also make money off of their PC sales. (By the way, nice job, PC master race! You're certainly striking a bold move against the Big 3 by picking one of them and supporting them financially! Truly, you are the wise ones.)

Not since the 16-bit generation has there been a console launch that could be considered "successful" by any stretch,
Gonna stop you there. There's a successful console launch almost every generation. The PS1 blew all prior sales records out of the water, and the PS2 sold even better at release. The Wii fared even better than those other two at launch, with their supply chains outright failing to keep up with all the demand. If those weren't successful launches, I don't know what would be considered one?

Next time you think of calling someone out for spouting unresearched gibberish, make sure your own house is in order.

Brotha Desmond

Jan 3, 2011
Matthew Jabour said:
Remember how big and strong Sony seemed at the last E3? Remember how they seemed to respond to the Xbox One's policy like a rational person might, suggesting that deep in their heart, they really did have humans who cared for their customers? Remember when they vanquished the tyrant Microsoft and everyone swore that they had the next console generation all sewn up? Remember when you thought nothing could bring them down?

Well, nothing lasts forever.

Months have passed, and Microsoft has since regained some of their ground. Apologizing for their mistake, Microsoft seems to be trying to regain their consumer's trust. Now, I'm not one to forgive and forget - I made a blood pact with some of you to remember it to the end - but now that Matrick has been Nixoned, they might just have a chance. They have done what they can, and it seems to have somewhat worked.

But what has Sony been doing in this time? Well, aside from taking a few small swipes at Microsoft, they really haven't been doing much of anything. They basically seemed confident that they had this coming generation locked up, much like they did with the PS3 and Nintendo before with the Gamecube. But perhaps this was not the case.

Let's take a look at the most important part of all this. The part that Microsoft neglected and started their PR nightmares with, and the only part Nintendo seems to work on: games. An important fact from the PS4 reveal and at E3 that people seem to have forgotten was that, when you get right down to it, there weren't that many actual games announced. The most impressive one, hands down, was Watch Dogs, and Ubisoft recently pulled that one back. (Take it from someone who was looking forward to Rayman Legends back last year; I know that feel.) Apart from that, what's left? Killzone at launch and Infamous on the way. Good games, but not capable of supporting a system, especially since you can't play PS3 games on it either. There's a handful of indie titles, and while strong independent support is definitely a plus, in this case it seems more like an asterisk on the back of the box than a system seller.

And it's not just at launch; in the following months, not a lot of new games are coming to the system. The ones that are coming are mostly multiplatform, including PS3, and that might be the most damning feature of all - why buy a new system when you can get the same games on your old one? This is exactly the dilemma Nintendo had with the Wii U, and that was with no opposition. Now Sony has to compete with not only a Nintendo that, after a year, is finally offering a steady stream of good games, but a Microsoft that actually does have quite a few games of its own. Dead Rising, Ryse, Titanfall - their launch lineup practically blows the other two out of the water.

Now, I'm not saying Sony is doomed. A few months ago, we were all convinced that Microsoft was destined to go down like Sega, and we certainly messed up there. However, they haven't won yet. And they might not win. Perhaps S&M will end up locked in another endless tug of war, while Nintendo collects the large pile of money nobody else seems to have noticed. But hey, that's just my theory. And, judging by my previous experience with arguing on the internet, I'm wrong and my mom was a whore. So, what do you think?

Bonus: Did you ever think that Sega would win the console wars back in the day? And why?
Justout of curiosity, you do know that TitanFall isn't a launch title, right? The game has no official launch date yet. It's also not an exclusive. Aside from the X1, it'll be on the 360 and the PC.

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
At this point, watching either next-gen console bomb is going to be more interesting than the endless, knee-jerk topics speculating about who is screwing up and how.

Sony hasn't "done much" because just like at E3 (and how everyone was so quick to point out at the time), their offering is more or less the Status Quo...with a social media button.

lunavixen

Jan 2, 2012
For me, what's more important than "What's out at launch?" is "What's out a year from launch? and have their been any major technical issues with the console? (RRoD, i'm looking at you) I'm waiting a year before I get a PS4, one, to see what else comes out for it, two, gotta wait for a price drop, and three, that's when we'll see what titles are available.

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
DISCLAIMER: I'm not defending MS, nor am I hammering SONY. I am merely stating that both systems have a fair shot and the "PS4 is better" claims aren't backed up by any real proof, just the blinding idea that it isn't an XBONE.

1. Launch titles don't mean squat. How many launch titles from the current on-the-way-out generation do any of you remember as the best thing since sliced bread and the savior of their respective console? I don't think that Resistance: Fall of Man made the PS3 great, nor did Perfect Dark Zero do that for the 360.

2. System flaws don't necessarily kill a system. The 360 RRoD didn't do much to halt its momentum, considering it was still beating the ever-loving crap out of the PS3 for a long time. PS3 never really outsold the 360 and only caught up (barely) in the latter years of the 7th gen.

3. SONY "winning" E3 doesn't mean jack. They sold the public an implied slogan, that the PS4 isn't the XBONE. Beyond that what really did they promise? No backwards compatibility for either system (though PS4 is supposed to "stream across the cloud" which means nothing if you have to re-buy those games) so they're equal (and MS has said they intend to do the same, but again no idea if you have to re-buy). The biggest takeaway from E3 2013 was the PS4 is "more powerful" but does that really mean much? Graphics power isn't necessarily an automatic gate to better games. Sony didn't really promise anything groundbreaking or "better". Microsoft just fucked up on their PR, which they've done a decent job of backtracking in the wake of consumer feedback.

4. Sony did remove a lot of functionality from their PS3 consoles, first with the PS2 backwards compatibility in newer "slim" models, and later with the firmware update removal of the OtherOS functionality which apparently people completely forgot about. That OtherOS removal was some of the biggest hate I've seen in a long time and its interesting that people just set that aside with their "stars in their eyes" love to PS4 again not being XBONE.

5. Time and mid-life exclusives will really show which system actually is better. Despite hate for the Kinect, people will still buy an XBONE if it has better exclusives and if their multiplayer service works better, as LIVE seemed to beat out PSN's free servers. Interesting note, people will pay for a service that is better functionality/efficiency/experience-wise than a free one. Free doesn't mean better.

So I'm not saying SONY won't pull out ahead this time, I'm saying take off the rose-colored glasses and look at what you see in front of you, what went on before and what is actually fact. Also another note, the Dreamcast was supposedly more powerful in hardware than the PS2, but the 3rd party games on PS2 looked better. Hardware isn't necessarily a game-changer.

Just give things time, judging a system pre-launch is ridiculous anyway. Myself I'll probably end up with both systems because I don't choose sides. I play games and the more I can play the better. This whole vs. shit is stupid anyway. Corporations exist to make you part with your hard earned cash, and while one may have better PR than the other, they're not necessarily your friend. All it means is they know how to get you to pay them better than the other guy.

Thr33X

Aug 23, 2013
Matthew Jabour said:
Next time you think of calling someone out for spouting unresearched gibberish, make sure your own house is in order.
So then you admit to your post being "unresearched gibberish" as well then? I did had some counterpoints to make, but I guess you hit your own nail on the head. Bottom line is that in a few weeks people will tell the tale of how successful the PS4 will be and drivel like yours will be long forgotten.

I've done a disservice by just bumping this back up to the first page, but if only to make the message clear that people speak with their dollars and controllers louder than any long-winded poster on a internet forum. Take that as you will. ;)