Sony Teases Mysterious "When Worlds Collide" Image

Earnest Cavalli

Jun 19, 2008
Sony Teases Mysterious "When Worlds Collide" Image

This morning Sony issued a picture emblazoned with the phrase "when worlds collide." What does this mean? Nobody's quite sure.

Sony's next gaming console, the PlayStation 4, debuts in just a few short months, so it's unsurprising to see the developer suddenly start firing off mysterious images heralding the console's upcoming franchises. Images like the one you see at right.

That picture debuted this morning on both the official PlayStation Twitter account and on the firm's Facebook page. It comes with no explanation beyond what you see there (which appears to be a few lines of text, and a deep-space shot of a star's light cresting over the side of another, more opaque celestial body). That's about as clinical a description as we're capable of, since there's just not all that much info to go on here.

Gamespot points out that When Worlds Collide is both the title of a 1933 science fiction novel, and a tag line used by the 2009 Christmas issue of Edge magazine to describe CCP's DUST 514. Either of these ideas could potentially explain the image, but they seem like desperate stretches of the imagination. When Worlds Collide was also a hit single from Powerman 5000 circa the turn of the century, yet I'm almost certain that Sony isn't mining my early teen years for promotional ideas.

As per usual, when we're drawing a complete blank, we turn to you. Have a look at that image up there, then take to the comments below to drop your best ideas of what it might be. Discuss it amongst yourselves if you'd like. If we fire off enough vaguely plausible ideas, at least one of them has to be partially accurate, right? Here at the Escapist, we call this scheme "The Reverse Family Feud."

Source: Gamespot [http://www.gamespot.com/news/sony-teasing-when-worlds-collide-6411195]

Mylinkay Asdara

Waiting watcher
Nov 28, 2010
Well what I would like it to be is a hint that they might try for the much desired backward compatibility with PS3 games... super unlikely, sure, but that's the hopeful me talking. It's probably something dumb and related to their stupid projection/eye tech thing that's supposed to bring the "game world" to the "real world" ugh.

DoPo

"You're not cleared for that."
Jan 30, 2012
Earnest Cavalli said:
When Worlds Collide was also a hit single from Powerman 5000 circa the turn of the century, yet I'm almost certain that Sony isn't mining my early teen years for promotional ideas.
But wouldn't it be awesome if they were? :D

Worth noting (well, not really) that Iron Maiden have a song called "When Two World Collide". Though, I'm also fairly certain the new game doesn't have anything to do with it.

That's the only thing that came to mind. But then I applied strong deductive reasoning, aided by computerised simulation and have narrowed it to only two possible scenarios - this is a) a new IP or b) a sequel to an old IP.

Buizel91

Autobot
Aug 25, 2008
I think it could be a new game, possibly 2 different gaming worlds being fused into one game (like say for example, ratchet and clank and Crash Bandicoot, or Infamous and Prototype)

Still should be interesting...

Andy Shandy

Fucked if I know
Jun 7, 2010
Jak and Daxter/Ratchet And Clank Crossover. :D

Or of course the Powerman 5000 game everybody has been waiting for (as you mentioned)

And then there's the obvious suggestion...

V8 Ninja

May 15, 2010
Eh, I'm gonna guess a sequel to Playstation All-Stars Battle Royale. Either that or an unlikely crossover between two game franchises that Sony owns/has exclusivity rights to at the moment.

sorsa

Dec 19, 2011
Sh*t, Sony is going to spend all their fortune to fund a super space rocket that will pull moon from it's orbit and into earth. I knew this day would come, why did I have to slack off digging a fallout shelter in the garden.

Shopping list for tomorrow: ten thousand cans of beans.

jdogtwodolla

phbbhbbhpbhphbhpbttttt......
Feb 12, 2009
Guuuuuys, isn't it obvious? This is a Teaser for the new Spongebob Squarepants game!

of course!

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
Taking the phrase literally and with that imagery, I'm going to say Destiny.

No doubt I'll be wrong, but an Activision game being truly single platform? Nah.

Keneth

Oct 14, 2011
What I would like this to be is true cross console multiplayer similar to what SquareEnix has been doing with the Final Fantasy MMOs. The kind where is doesn't matter if you and your friends all play on PS4, Xbone, or PC. You can still play with each other. But, I doubt Sony and MS will ever cooperate with each other like that....

BrotherRool

Oct 31, 2008
It's clearly Sony announcing that Star Wars characters will be in Kingdom Hearts 3. That crescent is actually an extremely floppy lightsabre (the series has been following Sora as he grows up, so now 3 is tackling the hard issues of puberty and Darth Vader).

CriticalMiss

Jan 18, 2013
Ok, I have some top secret information about to blow your minds.

Douglas Adams didn't die, he was kidnapped by North Korean spies and sent to a NK writing camp to write Kim Jong Il's propaganda speeches. He was rescued by a crack team of Japanese ninja-commandos who had been brought out of retirement for one last job, all but two died in cinematic ways but they managed to save Adams and his work. Given that news had been spread to the West of his death he chose to spend his years writing secretly in a basement apartment in the Tokyo suburbs where he had befriended a cat with diabetes and a wonky tail. The cat is kind of irrelevant. Over the years he wrote a number of follow-ups to his previous works when inspiration struck. A cross-over between Dirk Gently and The Hitchiker's Guide To The Galaxy. He pitched the idea to Sony so the tale could be released in a number of different media (movies, video games, radio plays etc.) with each rendition differing in various ways so as to create the most confusing canon in entertainment history.

This...is that story.

When worlds collide!

Vie

Nov 18, 2009
..said george pal to his bride
I'm gonna give you, some Terrible Thrills!

Like a,
Science Fiction, Oooowoooo
Double Feature...

Jman1236

Jul 29, 2008
There has been some word about When World Collide being remade for years, but it was said that Steven Spielberg would be behind the project. But with Sony pictures getting the rights, it wouldn't surprise me but does sony own paramount since paramount made the original 1951 version.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=voW0RiNTbGI

Saltyk

Sane among the insane.
Sep 12, 2010
There is only one explanation. A game based on Powerman 5000's When-

Ah... Some already posted that.

Well, I could see this being Destiny, but it seems odd to advertise that game in this way. It's multiplatform and we already know about it. It would make more sense to just say, "Destiny!" And be done with it.
I'm not sure it would be a new Playstation All Stars game. At least not this soon.
And I can't really see it being Kingdom Hearts either.

Okay, so those are the games off the top of my head that the phrasing and/or picture make sense for.

Well, I can only think of a few others.

A new Gundam game of some sort.
A new space based game. Hopefully, something not in the vein of Halo. I'd really like to see PS4 differentiate itself from all the FPS games. A space combat game could be cool.
A game like Majora's Mask where you are trying to prevent a planet from colliding with Earth.

I got nothing.

CriticalMiss said:
Ok, I have some top secret information about to blow your minds.

Douglas Adams didn't die, he was kidnapped by North Korean spies and sent to a NK writing camp to write Kim Jong Il's propaganda speeches. He was rescued by a crack team of Japanese ninja-commandos who had been brought out of retirement for one last job, all but two died in cinematic ways but they managed to save Adams and his work. Given that news had been spread to the West of his death he chose to spend his years writing secretly in a basement apartment in the Tokyo suburbs where he had befriended a cat with diabetes and a wonky tail. The cat is kind of irrelevant. Over the years he wrote a number of follow-ups to his previous works when inspiration struck. A cross-over between Dirk Gently and The Hitchiker's Guide To The Galaxy. He pitched the idea to Sony so the tale could be released in a number of different media (movies, video games, radio plays etc.) with each rendition differing in various ways so as to create the most confusing canon in entertainment history.

This...is that story.

When worlds collide!
You are starting to entertain me as much as your namesake. Just thought I'd share that.

saxman234

Nov 23, 2011
This is clearly a Demon's Soul/ Little Big Planet crossover. Sackboy arrives in Bolateria by some crazy creation accident and must defeat the great demon's to get back to his own universe.

Remus

Reprogrammed Spambot
Nov 24, 2012
Save the Cheerleader, Save the World

Or it could be a game based on Marvel's world-colliding event in Avengers, in which Hyperion was pulled from a point in space after failing to keep his Earth from colliding with another and one reality's using this as an opportunity to keep Galactus very well fed.