Sony Threatens to Ban PS3 Hackers Forever

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Sony Threatens to Ban PS3 Hackers Forever

The platform holder is stepping up its efforts to tackle PS3 piracy by kicking hackers off its networks.

All choices have their consequences, and hacking a PS3 is no different. But Sony is now starting to pile on the repercussions, annnouncing that it will permanently ban the PSN and Qriocity accounts of anyone it detects using pirated or hacked software.

In a statement, Sony said that using unauthorized circumvention devices on the PS3 was a violation of the terms and conditions of the "System Software License Agreement for the PlayStation 3 System," the "Terms of Services and User Agreement," and the "Community Code of Conduct." This, in turn, invalidated the consumer guarantee for the console. In addition, it said that using pirated software was a breach of international copyright laws. It made it quite clear that using custom firmware or playing pirated games would earn the perpetrator a permanent ban.

Exactly how much of an incentive this will be for hackers and pirates to mend their ways is unclear. It will certainly deter some of them, but not all of them by any stretch of the imagination. Of course, this is just one weapon in Sony's battle with the hackers, not a magic wand that will fix the problem in a single stroke. Sony doesn't say when it will start banning people, so anyone who's concerned would be well advised to get their PS3 back on the official line as soon as possible.

Source: Game Informer [http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2011/02/16/psn-bans.aspx]

MercurySteam

Tastes Like Chicken!
Legacy
Apr 11, 2008
And while Sony threatens pirates, Microsoft has already banned a million [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/96037-Microsoft-Bans-up-to-One-Million-Xbox-Live-Accounts] in one go.

Pick up the pace Sony, PSN needs cleaning.

Sampler

He who is not known
May 5, 2008
Selvec said:
hahaha. Funny. Anyone that has a PS3 ain't playing it online anyway sooooo <_<.
Fixed that for you..

(btw, bit of fun, I own a PS3 and a 360 and play neither online :p)

Cherry Cola

Your daddy, your Rock'n'Rolla
Jun 26, 2009
Why wouldn't you give hackers a life-time ban? Why is this even a threat and not just obvious statements? Just do it. Nao.

HyenaThePirate

Jan 8, 2009
Well here's a suggestion.

How about, anyone who doesn't like being told what they are allowed to do with their $300 product they purchased in good faith with expectations of being able to do with it what they want simply not BUY your system Sony?

Seems to me Sony forgets how much money they were losing not TWO YEARS AGO when their platform was wallowing in last place and they were hemorraging cash.

I mean, for frak's sake, why can't I change the bloody color of the FONT yet on the dashboard? Is there a way to pirate games using that feature?! What about my ability to use any harddrive I want? What about my preference to use Linux? What about being able to better organize my music folders?

Instead of bitching about what people are trying to work around your draconian rules for a product they PURCHASED from you willingly, you concentrate on making the product more efficient and appealing? Like I don't know, making more GAMES? Because as an RPG player, I can literally count the decent RPG's on the PS3 on ONE hand, and all the rest of the RPG's with the other.

The way things stand right now, if my 60 gig PS3 ever gives up the ghost, I won't be buying a new one to replace it.

DTWolfwood

Better than Vash!
Oct 20, 2009
sure y not. It doesn't affect anyone with a legitimate PS3. Feel free to Ban away SONY.

Macgyvercas

Spice & Wolf Restored!
Feb 19, 2009
Hubilub said:
Why wouldn't you give hackers a life-time ban? Why is this even a threat and not just obvious statements? Just do it. Nao.
Here here, my good man.

*raises glass*

Good to have you back, btw.

katsabas

Apr 23, 2008
Fuck's sake, they better get on with it. Kind of sick of seeing myself get stuck on the leaderboards just cause some punk decides to do it the easy way.

Hugga_Bear

May 13, 2010
DTWolfwood said:
sure y not. It doesn't affect anyone with a legitimate PS3. Feel free to Ban away SONY.
This. Seriously the only people bitching about the affair are those who want to hack the thing. I love the argument of "I bought it so I can do whatever the hell I want with it even if it means undercutting the rest of Sony's income". Yeah. They're a company, they want to make money, if they just go "herp derp hack all you want lol!" people are just going to use pirated games ad infinitum, sony will make no money and their problems will deepen.

I do agree that it's a bit of a null threat, I mean it was kinda assumed they'd do it...but at least it will go some ways to getting it through the thick skulls of the people using the hacks and if it doesn't then at least we don't have to deal with their crap anymore.

DonTsetsi

May 22, 2009
SO anyone who wants to use it as a linux box can't use it to play games online as well... I thought Sony would reintroduce the other operating system feature once they stopped selling PS3s at a loss, but I guess not.

Iglock

Mar 23, 2009
HyenaThePirate said:
Well here's a suggestion.

How about, anyone who doesn't like being told what they are allowed to do with their $300 product they purchased in good faith with expectations of being able to do with it what they want simply not BUY your system Sony?

Seems to me Sony forgets how much money they were losing not TWO YEARS AGO when their platform was wallowing in last place and they were hemorraging cash.

I mean, for frak's sake, why can't I change the bloody color of the FONT yet on the dashboard? Is there a way to pirate games using that feature?! What about my ability to use any harddrive I want? What about my preference to use Linux? What about being able to better organize my music folders?

Instead of bitching about what people are trying to work around your draconian rules for a product they PURCHASED from you willingly, you concentrate on making the product more efficient and appealing? Like I don't know, making more GAMES? Because as an RPG player, I can literally count the decent RPG's on the PS3 on ONE hand, and all the rest of the RPG's with the other.

The way things stand right now, if my 60 gig PS3 ever gives up the ghost, I won't be buying a new one to replace it.
This.

This is the reason I have CFW on my PSP- not because I pirate games and want to "steal" Sony's monies. Simply because without it, the PSP sucks. CFW allows me to totally customise my PSP, play ripped copies of my legally bought and owned ps1 games and use loads of other awesome software (pdf readers etc etc).

If Sony (although it's not just Sony, other companies too) actually spent their time making their official software better than it's custom counterpart instead of hunting down and punishing those who use custom software etc- maybe more people would feel inclined to actually use the official software and services...

Just a thought.

Giantpanda602

Oct 16, 2010
MercurySteam said:
And while Sony threatens pirates, Microsoft has already banned a million [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/96037-Microsoft-Bans-up-to-One-Million-Xbox-Live-Accounts] in one go.

Pick up the pace Sony, PSN needs cleaning.
The only reason Microsoft has already had to ban a million people is because a million people have hacked there crap system.