Sony Unveils the DualShock 4 Controller

Lex Darko

Aug 13, 2006
AC10 said:
Can someone please tell me the actual and practical uses of a touchpad? Yes, I can see some gimmicky bullshit like "slide your finger to open the door". But what are some actual reasons that will make the game better? I can press X to open a door, I don't want to slide shit.

A touch screen, I can at lest sort of get behind. You see something and you touch it. But a touch pad... it's just a touchy bit of plastic on your controller. There is no visual feedback.
So, real question: What the fuck would I need a touchapd for on a console? Is it going to have a mouse cursor? Cause you may as well just drive it around with a joystick, as touchpads are just kind of shit in general.
Well you could use a touch pad for virtual buttons custom to a particular game. To be honest that would be its best use, but for that I don't see why the would put the touch pad on the front of the controller instead of the back.

Madmanonfire

Jul 24, 2009
ShadowKatt said:
A touchpad? Really? Have you even been paying attention to your competition? No one likes the wii-u controller
Judging from that fail generalization, you're the one who should pay more attention.

OT: I don't think I like having a touchpad taking the spot of the start and select buttons, and I can't imagine how beneficial it'll be for games. But this is Sony's fourth iteration of their controllers, so I'm gonna give them the benefit of a doubt.
The camera bar was most surprising for me. We're getting too many of these things.

Nurb

Cynical bastard
Dec 9, 2008
PFFF HA HA HA HAAA! HAA HA HA! *cough* HAAAA HA HA!

All the corporate exec buzzwords and phrases... Oh my sides.

Innegativeion

Positively Neutral!
Feb 18, 2011
Nurb said:
PFFF HA HA HA HAAA! HAA HA HA! *cough* HAAAA HA HA!

All the corporate exec buzzwords and phrases... Oh my sides.

You know, sometimes my friends and I joke about all the silly easter eggs we'll put in games when we eventually make them.

I haven't written any down yet, but I will eventually, because sometimes I'm semi-serious about it.

I could have a hidden character in a far off corner show up when he detects used games, like the ones that sometimes do in pirated games, and yell at the player for their disloyalty... then laugh, and say "just kidding, thank you for expressing interest in our work, enjoy yourself".

Mylinkay Asdara

Waiting watcher
Nov 28, 2010
Okay I suppose this is going to sound a little... well silly quite honestly, but it's still a concern for me: touchscreens do not like my long nails. I don't want to choose between gaming and keeping my hands pretty Sony, don't make me.

Also all the stuff most of y'all have already said. Well, it's barely announced yet so we know things are going to get juggled between now and release anyway.

Souplex

Souplex Killsplosion Awesomegasm
Jul 29, 2008
Sony still copying Nintendo?
When Nintendo makes the Wii, Sony makes the Sixaxis. (Moar leik suxaxis lololololerskats!1!1!)
When Nintendo makes the WiiU Sony puts a touchpad in their controller.
Why didn't they copy the Gamecube, and make a controller that's comfortable to hold?

NoeL

May 14, 2011
It'll be interesting to see how they use these added features, but I think it's a bad sign when those uses don't immediately jump out at me. I mean, a giant second screen with touch input on the Wii U - straight away I can think of tons of cool applications. A dinky touch pad on the front of the controller... kind of like a laptop? I... I just don't get it.

Arctodus_Simus

When I say "oo", you say "long"
Aug 23, 2010
Finally! A controller big enough not to give me hand-cramps :D The old dual shock was a pretty big factor in my move to PC gaming - 360's kept dying, so I got sick of them, and I couldn't play PS3 for very long. I kind of miss consoles, in a way.

I like the look of it, finally a bit more ergonomic, a bit more comfortable looking. I look forward to trying it out.

abcyer

Feb 21, 2013
..It looks like they were comfortably sleeping on their new cpu that 19 feb midnight, when someone there comes in with a wii u flier and was like "guys!! guys!!.... what the hell we can do now ??!!!! we are f***d !!! get an idea !!! quick!!!.......!!!" and someone taped a pad on the new bigger controller.
Most likely.

Rect Pola

May 19, 2009
I'm not surprised by the light bar or touchpad. I assume the physical shape is a necessity or they thought it was time to rethink it (not that I've heard any actual cries for a change). Maybe if we're lucky the gaming media will STFU and not insist it's too light or something. Lord knows I need ANOTHER touch enabled controller that's really fucking awkward to weild one handed to use the touch pad.

abcyer

Feb 21, 2013
I mean..it's just about follow the evolution. For me they can also come out with a pong potentiometer, but, I don't think it takes us to the next step. On the other hand, the share button make me think that they are now following the
social media wave, and it don't impress me in a positive way too.

Pyrian

Hat Man
Legacy
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
Country
US
AC10 said:
Can someone please tell me the actual and practical uses of a touchpad? ... Is it going to have a mouse cursor? Cause you may as well just drive it around with a joystick, as touchpads are just kind of shit in general.
Thumbsticks are bad at driving mouse pointers, significantly worse than touchpads (which are, in turn, not really as good as mice).