Sony Warming to the Idea of Portable 3D

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Sony Warming to the Idea of Portable 3D

Portable 3D isn't ready for primetime just yet, says Sony, but that may soon change.

Sony hasn't put 3D in the NGP, or PS Vita, or whatever it ends up being called, but that doesn't mean that it will never make a 3D handheld. Sony's Mick Hocking says that when it comes to 3D, the company's focus is still on home entertainment, but that portable technology is "rapidly improving."

Hocking, who heads up the 3D team for Sony Worldwide Studios, said that the range of portable 3D devices being exhibited at this year's CES show was proof that the technology was moving at a rather quick pace. He said that as these devices become more and more advanced, he could see that kinds of high-quality 3D effects that Sony wanted to create being feasible on a mobile device. However, he reiterated Sony's position on 3D gaming, saying that at the moment, the best place - in Sony's eyes at least - to play games in 3D was at home with a PS3.

It's interesting to see the subtly different messages coming from Sony. SCE Europe Boss Andrew House has downplayed [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/107376-Sony-3D-and-Portable-Devices-Dont-Mix] mobile 3D in the past, whereas Hocking has championed [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/105654-Sony-3D-Is-a-New-Creative-Medium] 3D as a "new creative medium," and has praised [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/101501-Sony-Pleased-By-Nintendo-3DS] the 3DS for "democratizing" the technology. Both men are toeing the company line about the best 3D being PS3 3D, but even through the neatly groomed PR spin, Hocking seems genuinely enthusiastic about the technology.

Source: Develop [http://www.develop-online.net/news/37806/Sony-considering-3D-tech-for-small-screens]

Cool Welshy

Mar 15, 2011
Oh god, here we go...
I hate for me to cringe on this sort of thing, but why is it that Nintendo are the only console making company?
Here's an idea for you Sony, WHY DON'T YOU THINK OF DOING SOMETHING ELSE?!? It can't be that hard would it?
I got one. A console that detects eye movement so you can look around a digital room!

ultimateownage

This name was cool in 2008.
Feb 11, 2009
Logan Westbrook said:
heads up the 3D team for Sony Worldwide Studios
This guy better be checking his job opportunities; he's being hired in a department devoted to a fad.
Cool Welshy said:
Oh god, here we go...
I hate for me to cringe on this sort of thing, but why is it that Nintendo are the only console making company?
Here's an idea for you Sony, WHY DON'T YOU THINK OF DOING SOMETHING ELSE?!? It can't be that hard would it?
I got one. A console that detects eye movement so you can look around a digital room!
Well the PlayStation 1 was originally a Nintendo console, and was just a copy of the Sega CD. Sony's entire Videogame history is just them aping other companies.

Sixties Spidey

Elite Member
Jan 24, 2008
New creative medium my ass. Focus on making quality games and a quality system without the need of cheap gimmicks or spectacle. Fuck the rest.

Supernova2000

Shivan Sympathizer
May 2, 2009
buy teh haloz said:
New creative medium my ass. Focus on making quality games and a quality system without the need of cheap gimmicks or spectacle. Fuck the rest.
Here here! To quote stand up comedian Dara O'Briain on 3D: "It's like tuberculosis; it flares up once a generation and you have to zap it with anti-biotics and get on with your life".

Magikarp

Jan 26, 2011
Why does Sony always seem to say that Nintendo's innovation is stupid, then copy it a few months later?
Also, 100th post. Woo.

Dexiro

Dec 23, 2009
Cool Welshy said:
Oh god, here we go...
Or they could just make a decent console/portable and give it a good set of exclusives. Sure Nintendo are making a bit of money from selling gimmicks to the casual crowd but that doesn't mean everyone should do that.

Baldr

The Noble
Jan 6, 2010
I think any 3D device is always a bad idea. The people who don't want to pay for extra 3D play they won't use outweighs the people who will pay only if it has 3D.

Marudas

Jul 8, 2010
3D? Dear god kill it with fire. Current generation 3D Effects (both in movies and on the 3DS) are just stupid pointless gimmicks. They do not make games more fun or movies more engaging, or enhance the experience in any way. They just ensure that you have to wear stupid glasses, or hold the thing at a very specific angle and distance (and shorten your portable console's battery life to 3 hours).

All I want is to have companies finally move past these shallow "innovations" and start working on some real innovation. The first person to invent the Matrix or the Star Trek Holodecks or something equally innovative and awesome gets a gold star.

Fayathon

Professional Lurker
Nov 18, 2009
Can we just kill this 3D shit already? I hate having to find where 3D isn't set up because the shit doesn't work for me, and I don't mean the whole "It gives me a massive migraine" thing either, I've got lazy eye, so 3D has never worked for me. I thought this shit died in the 90's, and I'd prefer it stayed that way.

MasaVK

May 10, 2011
Urghh, another 3D portable.

Recently tried the 3DS, piece of crap that was, will stick to my DS.

Mantonio

Apr 15, 2009
Let me guess, my 'warming to' you mean 'after saying how it was stupid, they've seen how successful Nintendo have been and want to copy that'?

Because that's what Sony does. It laughs at others like the bunch of dicks that they are, then they try and copy them after seeing how well the originals sell.

Alfador_VII

Nov 2, 2009
What are Sony thinking talking about 3D now? Especially if PS Vita doesn't feature 3D at launch, which seems likely.

Are they saying we shouldn't buy PSV and instead wait for PSV 3D? I don't get it.

Decabo

Dec 16, 2009
I tried out my roommate's 3DS, and it's complete shit. The 3D looks cheap as hell, and even if it did look good, who cares? It adds nothing to the game. I like the crystal clear look that 2D gaming provides, I don't need to make it blurrier and on a different plane to improve that.

subtlefuge

Lord Cromulent
May 21, 2010
Decabo said:
I tried out my roommate's 3DS, and it's complete shit. The 3D looks cheap as hell, and even if it did look good, who cares? It adds nothing to the game. I like the crystal clear look that 2D gaming provides, I don't need to make it blurrier and on a different plane to improve that.
To be fair, the 3DS looks really good without the 3d on it, and the control stick is pretty awesome. I will agree that the 3d sucks.

OT: I just think that Sony wants to avoid another "lollipop" incident. You have to butter up your customers before you steal something that you said was stupid.