Sony will purchase Bungie

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Sony Pictures + Sony Interactive Entertainment is their overarching plan. Make game IPs with a strong focus on storytelling, and expand upon that with film adaptions. I’m game if it’s done well. There is a thin line between that and phoned-in cash-in’s, but they should know better than to fall into that trap.
That's the problem, nothing is looking good, or does not need an adaption. The Ratchet and Clank movie sucked and faded from public consciousness faster than the reboot. Uncharted looks like shit, and is horribly miscasted just for the Tom Holland Spider-Man money bags MCU suckers who would not have bothered otherwise. Ghost of Tsushima is getting a movie adaption that is really unnecessary, and no one asked for. The game already does and takes so much from Japanese and Kurosawa cinema, that an adaption is redundant and won't do much different than what the game already did. Last of Us is getting a TV adaption, but once again, feels already redundant and not worth the time. Unless it does something different, there is not much point. I know people and super fans are excited, but I can't even bother to be invested with it. I'd sooner just watch the Halo tv series. And we all know the Halo movie/tv project was stuck in development hell for a whole decade.

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
Not sure how that's stupid. Never played Destiny itself, but it's got a pretty detailed setting that could easily support EU material (frankly, it's struck me as a little weird that there isn't more of it). So from simply an IP standpoint, a TV show makes sense. And if Destiny is Sony's answer to Halo, then it makes even more sense considering the breadth of Halo's EU material that already includes two miniseries and an upcoming TV series.
I’d watch the shit out of a Destiny TV show. I’d love more science fantasy and space opera that are allowed to be fun.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
No, what's stupid is Sony obsession with turning every single IP of theirs in to movies. So far their track record sucks.
Track record? Far as I can tell, there's been a single movie adaptation of a Sony IP, namely Ratchet & Clank. The movie was pretty lacklustre, sure, but a single entry isn't indicative of a "track record."

How about focusing on what you're good and wait a while. Or they're adapting games that don't need adaptions.
Games and films have different developers. It's not that working on one medium takes away from efforts in another.

I’d watch the shit out of a Destiny TV show. I’d love more science fantasy and space opera that are allowed to be fun.
Doesn't Destiny take itself seriously though? According to some, too seriously?

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Track record? Far as I can tell, there's been a single movie adaptation of a Sony IP, namely Ratchet & Clank. The movie was pretty lacklustre, sure, but a single entry isn't indicative of a "track record."
Still not looking good going by the Uncharted movie. My point still stands. I don't care.

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia

Games and films have different developers. It's not that working on one medium takes away from efforts in another.

Doesn't Destiny take itself seriously though? According to some, too seriously?
Dune is a serious science fiction property. And yet Dune had more elements of fun and grand space opera than anything not labelled Star Wars or Mass Effect in the past twenty years. For all that Destiny has a very video game serious story, the player characters are all various flavours of magi-tech knights with the powers to back it up. I personally want more of that.

Reactions: BrawlMan

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
Dune is a serious science fiction property. And yet Dune had more elements of fun and grand space opera than anything not labelled Star Wars or Mass Effect in the past twenty years. For all that Destiny has a very video game serious story, the player characters are all various flavours of magi-tech knights with the powers to back it up. I personally want more of that.
Okay, just to clarify, are you referring to Dune the IP, Dune the book, or Dune the recent film? Because Assuming that it's the IP in general, I could call Dune a lot of things, but "fun" isn't really among them. Dune, most of the time, is quite somber, as are its associated themes. And it really doesn't belong in the same vein as Star Wars or Mass Effect. Yes, Star Wars does take some inspiration from Dune, but their approaches to storytelling and worldbuilding are radically different.

Also, if we're talking about the last twenty years, really disagree. There's plenty of IPs like Star Wars, Mass Effect, and Destiny out there (fun space adventures) not so many like Dune (tragic space politics). Probably one of the closest things we've had to Dune recently is Game of Thrones, since both have focus on noble families engaging in realpolitik.

wings012

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 7, 2011
Country
Malaysia
Regarding the whole movie thing, I'm not sure if it had anything to do with Sony's decision making but Arcane's success might have been encouraging to anyone wanting to turn game IPs into shows. Granted Arcane ain't a movie. I haven't watched it yet nor do I play League but AFAIK the IP is quite open for them to largely do whatever they want with the show? Whereas some IPs can come with a lot of 'baggage'.

And that's the problem I guess. The big decision makers might just go "hey they made it work, we can too". But there's a clear difference between Marvel's success on the silver screen, compared to the massive fuckup that was DC's attempt at it when it comes to turning comic books into movies. They don't fully assess how much work it can take, or how much of a bad idea it could be and attempt to catch lightning in a bottle because someone else managed to.

Games on a whole have had a bigger history of terrible adaptations into show/movie format more often than not. Bungie's IPs are also kinda.... well Destiny is the only relevant one left. Any movies of their older IPs might as well just be new original IPs due to how forgotten they are nowadays. Anybody remember how dogshit the Warcraft movie was? Yeah.

I've only played some Destiny 2 so I'm not super in tune with how the story is these days. But it definitely felt like the game was more 'setting' than 'story'. Without too many central characters to be 'faithful' to, I think it might be possible to create an original "Guardian" and "Ghost" and kinda just do its own thing. Rather than get caught up in the usual shit with trying to do their own thing, and being faithful, and then fucking up and making something mediocre that also pisses off long time fans. But well, we shall see I guess.

Last edited:

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Anybody remember how dogshit the Warcraft movie was? Yeah.
The Warcraft movie is actually good overall and not half bad. Actual dogshits are Mortal Kombat Annihilation, MK 2021, Bloodrayne movies, House of the Dead (anything by Uwe Bowell), and all of Paul WS Anderson's Resident Evil "adaptions". With the most recent live action RE film being even worse than most of Anderson's crap. Capcom, how the fuck do you keep messing this up?!

Games on a whole have had a bigger history of terrible adaptations into show/movie format more often than not.
True, but we've been seeing improvements with shows like Castlevania and the upcoming Cuphead Show. Sonic has plenty of good TV adaptions than bad. With only Sonic Underground and Sonic X being the bad ones.

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
The Warcraft movie is actually good overall and not half bad. Actual dogshits are Mortal Kombat Annihilation, MK 2021, Bloodrayne movies, House of the Dead (anything by Uwe Bowell), and all of Paul WS Anderson's Resident Evil "adaptions". With the most recent live action RE film being even worse than most of Anderson's crap. Capcom, how the fuck do you keep messing this up?!

True, but we've been seeing improvements with shows like Castlevania and the upcoming Cuphead Show. Sonic has plenty of good TV adaptions than bad. With only Sonic Underground and Sonic X being the bad ones.
The Witcher is pretty dang good too, surprisingly.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
All that for goddamn subscription service. Because Sony has FOMO!

They also had that with motion controls and later VR; although the jury is still kinda out on the latter's long term potential. I suspect this deal has been in the works for quite a while, although that doesn't make it any less face-palmy.

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
nowadays. Anybody remember how dogshit the Warcraft movie was? Yeah.
No, because I remember it being a pretty dang fun high fantasy movie who had the misfortune to come out while Game of Thrones was living rent free in the brains of most people.

That and it was really badly marketed like John Carter of Mars before it.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
No, because I remember it being a pretty dang fun high fantasy movie who had the misfortune to come out while Game of Thrones was living rent free in the brains of most people.

That and it was really badly marketed like John Carter of Mars before it.
OR, it's because the Warcraft movie is severely flawed.

While I did enjoy the movie as a Warcraft fan, as a movie in of itself? It's lacking. Its pacing is rushed, there's a death of worldbuilding, many of its characters lack depth, it doesn't fully exploit its premise (it tries to juggle between moral ambuguiity, while also painting the orcs as monsters), etc.

I don't think Game of Thrones is a good comparison, since while both are high fantasy, that's about the only thing they have in common. Warcraft, regrettably, probably has more in common with stuff like Eragon. :(

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
OR, it's because the Warcraft movie is severely flawed.

While I did enjoy the movie as a Warcraft fan, as a movie in of itself? It's lacking. Its pacing is rushed, there's a death of worldbuilding, many of its characters lack depth, it doesn't fully exploit its premise (it tries to juggle between moral ambuguiity, while also painting the orcs as monsters), etc.

I don't think Game of Thrones is a good comparison, since while both are high fantasy, that's about the only thing they have in common. Warcraft, regrettably, probably has more in common with stuff like Eragon. :(
Game of Thrones is by no measure High Fantasy. Its Historical Low Fantasy; since the basic premise is based on the War of the Roses, and magic is both a rare and capricious force in the world. And of course a fair amount of Game of Thrones appeal is built around political intrigue and infighting. Fuck, Dragon Age has more in common with Game of Thrones than Warcraft.

My point about GoT was that its been a massively influential property in the fantasy genre and because of that, its kind of setting the tone of the genre for people who aren't as deeply familiar with the many branches on the fantasy tree.

Mind you, I bet you ten bucks that had the movie been done in house by Blizzard to the quality of their xpac cinematics, it would have been way more successful.

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
I don't know why they didn't do that. Aliens would have come from other galaxies just to watch a feature-length film with that quality of CGI.

Only Pixar/Disney have the kind of render farms needed for feature length stuff of that quality most likely.