Sony Will Soon Reveal Its "Slimmest," May Be Vita 2000

roseofbattle

News Room Contributor
Apr 18, 2011
Sony Will Soon Reveal Its "Slimmest," May Be Vita 2000

The PS Vita Slim has already launched in Japan, but so far Sony has said nothing about bringing it elsewhere.

Sony has sent out breakfast briefing invitations to select members of the press to introduce PlayStation's "slimmest" launch. Seeing as how the PS4 launched not long ago, several people have speculated that the announcement will concern the PS Vita Slim, which is already available in Japan.

The PS Vita Slim, also known as PS Vita 2000, was released in Japan in October 2013 in various colors (white, gray, yellow, pink, brown, and black). It's 15 percent thinner and 20 percent lighter than the prevous model, includes 1 GB of internal memory, and the OLED screen is replaced by an LCD one. The slim also charges via micro USB instead of a unique charging cable. [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/128674-New-PS-Vita-Model-Will-Charge-by-Micro-USB]

With remote play, Sony wants to promote its handheld, which can be used with the PS4 as the company announced all PS4 games would be compatible with remote play on the Vita. At the moment, a slim Vita announcement makes the most sense. It's also too early for a slim PS4 and much too late for another PS3 slim - unless Sony is really banking on making this the true "introduction to the slimmest." The PS3 has both a slim edition and a super slim edition already. Sony also plans to support PS3 through to 2015.

The invite states the event takes place Jan. 30 from 9 a.m. to 11 a.m. Until then, whatever will be unveiled is up for guessing.

Source: TechRadar [http://www.techradar.com/news/gaming/handhelds/ps-vita-slim-to-get-a-uk-release-soon-hints-sony-1218289]

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
So...any chances that you'll make it so that we can connect this model to the TV Sony? I mean, the PSP 2000 and up (except the Go) could do it and I'd quite like the ability to connect a Vita to the TV. Well that's also if you're not releasing Vita TV in the US and Europe that is...

Another

Mar 19, 2008
Does the slim still use those proprietary memory cards? Cause that would suck.

I'd love to get a vita, but I want to get a decent sized memory card with it. Unfortunately the biggest cards are way to expensive.

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
Another said:
Does the slim still use those proprietary memory cards? Cause that would suck.

I'd love to get a vita, but I want to get a decent sized memory card with it. Unfortunately the biggest cards are way to expensive.
It still does and it still sucks. I want to buy a Vita, but at this point I am having difficulty justifying a purchase because of the lack of games. Most of the games I want would be downloadable titles and yeah... memory cards... those memory cards...

Limie

Feb 18, 2010
I am going to buy a vita soon and am mostly concerned about the lack of games although I know that there are a few I definitely want to get. I just wish the west will get an English translation of God eater 2.
I have heard that the OLED screen's quality is worth the shorter battery life and getting a LCD screen just seems like a step backwards for me even if it will make the console cheaper overall.
Realistically though, how many people are willing to buy a separate console after parting with their cash to buy a playstation 4, even if it does mean remote play?

nickpy

Oct 9, 2010
Neronium said:
So...any chances that you'll make it so that we can connect this model to the TV Sony? I mean, the PSP 2000 and up (except the Go) could do it and I'd quite like the ability to connect a Vita to the TV. Well that's also if you're not releasing Vita TV in the US and Europe that is...
I thought I was the only person who wanted to connect my Vita to the TV sometimes! :)

I read an article or two a while back (I forget where it was, probably here) where if you read between the lines, basically, the Original Vita could output to TV using the HDMI signalling protocol, at least in hardware. That's why it had the proprietary cable - the extra connectors were for (amongst other things) HDMI output. However, you can't actually do it because (1) they never released a suitable adaptor cable, and (2) they didn't write the part of the OS that made it work. The Slim doesn't have any such output capabilities, even in hardware: it's one of the things they ripped out to make it cheaper.

AnthrSolidSnake

Jun 2, 2011
I'm rather surprised at the lack of microsd<PsVita memory adapters. Would they even technically be illegal in any way? I'd imagine Sony would want them all to burn considering I can only imagine how successful one of those would be. I mean, most memory adapters are maybe $5 at the most. Even buying one and the micro sd card would be way cheaper.

Ahh, anyway...OT: If this model can bring the price down enough to justify a purchase of one of their overpriced cards, I may get one. It may not have as many games as the 3DS, but most of the games it does have I want to play.

Hairless Mammoth

Jan 23, 2013
It charges via USB! Welcome back to the modern age, Sony. May I introduce you to SDHC cards, the storage medium of choice for virtually every portable device made today. Now if only we could get Apple to work with Intel to make a better connector instead of making their own proprietary cord that no one else will use.
AnthrSolidSnake said:
I'm rather surprised at the lack of microsd<PsVita memory adapters. Would they even technically be illegal in any way? I'd imagine Sony would want them all to burn considering I can only imagine how successful one of those would be. I mean, most memory adapters are maybe $5 at the most. Even buying one and the micro sd card would be way cheaper.

Ahh, anyway...OT: If this model can bring the price down enough to justify a purchase of one of their overpriced cards, I may get one. It may not have as many games as the 3DS, but most of the games it does have I want to play.
I'm still waiting for a price drop on the cards and system. It wouldn't be illegal for you to buy them. I know the PSP had a third party hard drive add on. It required modding, had a larger battery for the whole system, and plugged into the MS Duo Slot. I doubt they had a license to make it, so they probably reverse engineered the memory stick protocol. It's just a matter of time until someone gets through the Vita card wall. Sony would be smart to just lower prices on those cards or license them to Sandisk. People aren't cracking the vita because it isn't worth there time now and smartphones and the 3DS have games. They can either enjoy success while playing cat and mouse with hackers or sit there with a dismal but secure library.
nickpy said:
I thought I was the only person who wanted to connect my Vita to the TV sometimes! :)

I read an article or two a while back (I forget where it was, probably here) where if you read between the lines, basically, the Original Vita could output to TV using the HDMI signalling protocol, at least in hardware. That's why it had the proprietary cable - the extra connectors were for (amongst other things) HDMI output. However, you can't actually do it because (1) they never released a suitable adaptor cable, and (2) they didn't write the part of the OS that made it work. The Slim doesn't have any such output capabilities, even in hardware: it's one of the things they ripped out to make it cheaper.
Great, instead of taking out that stupid rear touch panel they take out a feature I could have used. Could it be to get more vita tv sales when that comes out? Maybe they could send the vita video back to a PS3(Sony, I'm not buying 2 pieces of technojuck until they both have enticing titles) or PS4 like a reverse remote play. I think a lot of people would op to play games like Gravity Rush on a big screen when they have a chance.

PoolCleaningRobot

Mar 18, 2012
I almost want one for the micro USB charging but I think I'll wait and see what they do for the 3000 model (if it gets that far)

Limie said:
I am going to buy a vita soon and am mostly concerned about the lack of games although I know that there are a few I definitely want to get. I just wish the west will get an English translation of God eater 2.
I have heard that the OLED screen's quality is worth the shorter battery life and getting a LCD screen just seems like a step backwards for me even if it will make the console cheaper overall.
As a vita owner, I don't think the OLED is really worth it. They come with a lot of drawbacks like a shorter lifespan; the blue pixels have a shorter life than others, and its highly sensitive to UV radiation (accidentally setting it in sunlight for too long will destroy it). In use, 4 or 5 hour battery (didn't realize that was an OLED thing) and the brightness of the screen is determined by the brightness of the pixels so turning the brightness down lowers the saturation and contrast.

Granted the screen is still great, but the LCD screen on my HTC One looks amazing too. So I don't think OLED is really necessary anymore when there's great LCD screens now, especially if it saves me money. As for games, I've almost filled my 32 gig card. Yay for ps+ and lots of expandable memory

Hairless Mammoth said:
It charges via USB! Welcome back to the modern age, Sony. May I introduce you to SDHC cards, the storage medium of choice for virtually every portable device made today. Now if only we could get Apple to work with Intel to make a better connector instead of making their own proprietary cord that no one else will use.
SDHC? The future is SDXC my friend. Won't be long before we get those 128 gig micro SD's. As for Apple, there's desktop monitor at my office that's not even 5 years old but has no use because nothing is compatible with it. Its like a sad joke

I'm still waiting for a price drop on the cards and system. It wouldn't be illegal for you to buy them. I know the PSP had a third party hard drive add on. It required modding, had a larger battery for the whole system, and plugged into the MS Duo Slot. I doubt they had a license to make it, so they probably reverse engineered the memory stick protocol. It's just a matter of time until someone gets through the Vita card wall.
Now they sell memory stick pro duo cards with two micro SD slots in them for a theoretical 128 gig capacity. Vita cards are almost the same size as micro SD's so I wonder an adapter could be made

Sony would be smart to just lower prices on those cards or license them to Sandisk. People aren't cracking the vita because it isn't worth there time now and smartphones and the 3DS have games. They can either enjoy success while playing cat and mouse with hackers or sit there with a dismal but secure library.
I really hope people come up with some vita hacks in the future. Its a great device and I'd love to get more use out of it

J Tyran

Dec 15, 2011
The smaller size is nice, the improved battery life is nice and charging with USB is nice because now you can use a USB external battery, I have a 15,000mAh one as a backup for tablet and phone but the Vita will not charge/run from it. However the onboard memory is virtually useless and the screen is significant downgrade, it would be just as good (if not better actually) if they had fitted it with an IPS screen but its got nasty and cheap TN panel instead and it does make the colours noticeable washed out compared to the OLED version.

Lack of 4G is another disappointment, if it had an IPS screen and a 4G option I would have seriously considered getting one to replace my original model Vita.

Nitro_Hedgehog

Mar 25, 2009
the original didn't do well in america and neither will this one should it come here. poor selection of games, horrendously expensive proprietary memory cards, and no friends who want to buy them for the same reasons as me.

how they managed to turn a profit is beyond me.

and 3/4g is pointless, most carriers have taken away unlimited plans and are throttling those grandfathered in and now that they finally won control over the internet, it'll only get worse.

not_you

Don't ask, or you won't know
Mar 16, 2011
Limie said:
Shorter battery life?

Seriously?

Wow, I can play my vita for hours on end at max brightness and never once has it yelled at me to go find a charger....
And my longest session on it was like, 5 hours or so...

So if they make the battery life on the thing any better that's insane...
Shitloads better than the (standard) 3DS anyway which dies after about 3+1/2 hours on half brightness...

But also as many people have said, I kinda wish I had another game to play on my Vita... After my complete disappointment with AC:Liberation it kinda fell by the wayside...
Bring on FFHD! (Or maybe there was an earlier title I wanted... can't remember...)