Sony's Blu-ray Disc Successor Could Hold a Terabyte

HK_01

Jun 1, 2009
Onyx Oblivion said:
We barely have any 50 GB games...What they hell could we do with a Terabyte?!

Store entire collections of developers and publishers?
That's actually a pretty cool idea.

May 25, 2010
Too soon. What would be a good idea is to keep this thing a secret for as long as possible, and keep finding ways to reduce production costs etc. And then when the majority of the audience has moved on to Blu-Ray then they should start thinking about bringing this out.

The Shade

Mar 20, 2008
Godammit!

*dumps pile of Blu-Rays into fireplace*

When will it end???

-----------------

But seriously - we are quickly approaching the age of media entertainment that is so high-quality, (enough that it requires 1TB of storage to cram all the HD-ness in), that our own eyes will become the weak links in the chain.

Super-duper Ultramega Hi-Def video/audio? Check.
Superior media player? Check.
Top-o-the-line cabling? Check.
Max Power/Headroom Television for amazing quality? Check.
Eyes and ears that can detect the level of detail? No dice.

VirusHunter

Nov 19, 2009
I don't see any game devs needing a whole terabyte of data for their games, but this could spark something in the media industry. For example, let's say that Marvel decides to put all their 90's cartoons on one disc. Not even a regular Blu-ray could hold that much data, but something like one terabyte would be more than enough. No more of those extra discs are needed, and convenience is to be had!

...too bad I don't actually own a Blu-ray player...

dochmbi

Sep 15, 2008
VirusHunter said:
I don't see any game devs needing a whole terabyte of data for their games
I don't see any game devs needing a whole megabyte of data for their games. -Atari 2600 owner, 1978.

Dexiro

Dec 23, 2009
A little pointless at the moment but there's nothing wrong with technology moving forward.

When the time comes that we need 100Tb discs Sony would be years ahead of us!

gigastrike

Jul 13, 2008
WHY!? Games already take like 2 years to make. Could you imagine how long it would take to make 2TBs of content!? To justify the space, they'd be releasing a whole trilogy by the time the third game would be hitting shelves otherwise! Is that even a good idea? Releasing a project in sections allows them to fix what didn't work last time, and now they're going to screw that because they'll feel obligated to make use of this new resource.

I suppose it could work in other forms of media. Videos and what not?

Baby Tea

Just Ask Frankie
Sep 18, 2008
Onyx Oblivion said:

Is that such a bad idea?
Mass Effect 1, 2, and 3 (Plus DLC): The ultimate collection! Now on one disc.
The Halo collection: 1, 2, 3, ODST, Reach, and Halo Wars...all on one Disc!
The Metal Gear Solid Collection: All on one disc!

Sounds pretty awesome to me!
Plus: Larger texture files, uncompressed audio, better video compression, etc.
I just hope it's not Sony exclusive. That would be balls.
The bad kind of balls.

squid5580

Elite Member
Feb 20, 2008
Marq said:
I can only think "WHY?!" What purpose will this serve? Are these discs even rewritable yet? Will televisions in the future be 1-hundred foot monsters with ultra-high resolution to boot?

Also, it seems to be missing the usual "And it will end data piracy forever" tag that accompanies new tech like this.
Haha they have no plans to end it with this. Just slow it down. By the time you get it downloaded it will be cheaper to buy it used than buy the discs to burn it on.

Pendragon9

Apr 26, 2009
If they put this towards non-game industries, like computer research or etc, they could make a killing in the market.

For now though, I think we have enough storage as is on consoles and PCs. Am I right?

Silver Patriot

Aug 9, 2008
I remember reading about this a year or so back. Though I don't think it was Sony I was reading about. I read the "best" they could do was something like 500GB. I need to find the source.

Found it. Just going to link to the Wikipedia page. It's called a Holographic Versatile Disk [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holographic_Versatile_Disc].

Still think that Flash Drives will be the future of media storage. Digital Distribution is more likely but I would still rather have a hard copy. Plus a Flash Drive is safer then a disk.

Sronpop

Mar 26, 2009
Why don't they work on improving the data transfer speed instead of the size. Or did everyone forget the fact that dvd's still supply more data per second than their blu-ray counter parts, yes everyone seems to forget that little detail, and yes, that is why the ps3 has mandatory installs for a lot of games, if it didn't, the loading times for games would be HUGE. There is a need for practicality some times Sony.

Apr 13, 2010
The only thing increased capacity gives is that it removes the necessity for compression of audio, video and texture files. Also, to make it even remotely useful you'd need to ramp up the RAM incredibly on a machine to handle the file sizes without constantly switching them out.

While the tech is nice, it shouldn't run away with itself before the rest of computing can catch up.

Unrulyhandbag

Oct 21, 2009
dochmbi said:
VirusHunter said:
I don't see any game devs needing a whole terabyte of data for their games
I don't see any game devs needing a whole megabyte of data for their games. -Atari 2600 owner, 1978.
This, people have said this every time a new storage medium has come along.

Anyway I used to work with a team of guys who used some serious radiology kit to look inside bombs, the pictures they made were usually just over 1.2TB, I suspect they'll be quite happy to have some decent none-magnetic storage so they can file away full resolution images.

My home media centre has well over a terabyte of files that need a proper backup.

And I'm sure PC games could easily start to get pretty enormous as they use bigger and more unique textures.

Plinglebob

Team Stupid-Face
Nov 11, 2008
Until there's a massive jump in audio/visual tech (and I'm talking hologram style jump), the only thing a disc this size will be used for is archiving.

Kiithid

Aug 12, 2009
oranger said:
Beyond just getting entire libraries of data on one convenient disc, this will also allow for much, much larger programs to be sold at lowered costs.
What I keep thinking about though is the sheer amount of electricity it would take to read/write that bad boy, nevermind the production costs associated with it.

BUT! its new tech, which is good.
New tech yay!
However not so sure about lowered costs, I mean the difference between DVD and Blu-ray is atrocious and still blu-versions are still sold by twice+ the price of the dvd version. I remain skeptical.

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
Baby Tea said:
Onyx Oblivion said:

Is that such a bad idea?
Mass Effect 1, 2, and 3 (Plus DLC): The ultimate collection! Now on one disc.
The Halo collection: 1, 2, 3, ODST, Reach, and Halo Wars...all on one Disc!
The Metal Gear Solid Collection: All on one disc!

Sounds pretty awesome to me!
Plus: Larger texture files, uncompressed audio, better video compression, etc.
I just hope it's not Sony exclusive. That would be balls.
The bad kind of balls.
I never said it was bad. I'm just saying that it's all they can do right now, really.

ratix2

Feb 6, 2008
this isnt really all that impressive. hvd (holographic video disc) achieved a terabyte of data on a single disc several years ago, and had theoretical capacities of up to 3.7 terabytes. it never saw the light of day because of its cost (the drives cost $15,000 each and the discs were about $300), but technology wise it beat the pants off of this years ago.

oh, and it used the same wavelength as dvds too.

Tolerant Fanboy

Aug 5, 2009
Calling it now: 1st gen Super-Blu-Ray player lasers will be slightly miscalibrated and end up piercing through the player, resulting in horrible doom boxes. The format will forever be known on the Internet as Death-Ray.