Sony's Credit Rating Drops

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Callate said:
-Le Snip-
So wait, the guys who held back are the ones who are the jerks in this?

And they should have taken a few to not be jerks to the new guy, in the face of a report of massive financial losses?

Je ne comprends pas.

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
Zachary Amaranth said:
Callate said:
-Le Snip-
So wait, the guys who held back are the ones who are the jerks in this?

And they should have taken a few to not be jerks to the new guy, in the face of a report of massive financial losses?

Je ne comprends pas.
The ones who treated the new CEO to an effective "vote of no confidence" before he had gotten his name on the office door? Yes, them.

There are perfectly good reasons for downlisting Sony- the significant failure of 3D television to grab consumers' attention and the half-hearted introduction of the Playstation Move, for two. The installation of a new CEO is not, and the timing has a significant chance to harm Sony's investor relations- it makes it look like they're privy to some information about his upcoming performance. If they had hung on that long, they could have waited until he had a chance to make an actual bad decision on his own.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Callate said:
The ones who treated the new CEO to an effective "vote of no confidence" before he had gotten his name on the office door? Yes, them.
Oh, I see. So the reasons actually given being different from the reasons you are using doesn't bother you at all?

I'm sorry, I thought we might have an honest discussion about this. I guess we're done here.

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
Zachary Amaranth said:
Callate said:
Oh, I see. So the reasons actually given being different from the reasons you are using doesn't bother you at all?

I'm sorry, I thought we might have an honest discussion about this. I guess we're done here.
Accusing the person who disagrees with you of dishonesty and trying to claim the last word may be satisfying, but don't imagine anyone else is going to be lauding your maturity or impressed by your rhetoric for walking off in a dismissive snit.

They didn't lower the rating when their fellow creditors did. They didn't lower the rating at the end of the actual fiscal year. I don't take corporate press releases at face value.

I don't really even need to assess their motivations to note that their timing has collateral effects that could have been lessened or avoided by different timing, nor to state how I feel their actions reflect upon them. I very much doubt I will be the only one who interprets this move as a lack of confidence in the new CEO on S&P's part.

Though I do question S&P's motives as well. At best, the announcement reflects poor timing and/or a callous disregard for the potential to harm the company's ability to engineer a turn-around. At worst- and combined with its actions and statements regarding the credit rating of the United States- statements like "reflecting our view that we could lower the ratings further if we see no meaningful sign of a recovery in earnings within six to 12 months," suggest not just an adjustment of credit ratings to reflect the actual credit-worthiness of a company but the desire to manipulate the policies and actions of its creditors with threats.

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
It's almost as if...3D was a temporary fad or something, and spending all that money developing and producing 3D TVs was a terrible idea from the start.

So yeah, I default to my Castlevania theory in regarding the behavior of the 3D Fads:
3D resurrects itself once every so often (just like Dracula), only to be inexplicably killed off before it can really get going.

This time, James Cameron trolled Sony so hard, it hurt their credit rating...I guess that's two things I can thank Cameron for now.