Sony's Disinterest in Preserving PlayStation's History Is a Missed Opportunity

Sora383

Escapist +
Mar 17, 2010
Alberta the land of snow snow and sometimes sun
Country
Canada
Just going to steal part of what I put in the game articles and video thread, since it connects very well with this episode of the escapist show.

Sony to me has felt off lately, especially with things like closing Japan studios and their poor utilization(in my opinion) of PlayStation now.

I honestly hope all of this negative publicity will wake Sony up and get them back on a more gamer friendly track (I think that’s the right term).

Is it forum plagiarism if your stealing from yourself?

bluegate

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2010
Sadly par for the course within the current industry.

Nintendo having long since shut down stores of their older consoles and handhelds, Microsoft trying to herd people into a rental subscription model where games are added and removed.

Sora383

Escapist +
Mar 17, 2010
Alberta the land of snow snow and sometimes sun
Country
Canada
Microsoft trying to herd people into a rental subscription model where games are added and removed.
That’s another thing I find interesting, while I am sorta cheesed about the online shop closings (mostly because even though I haven’t played the games for a while, since I paid for them I liked knowing I could play them) but when it comes to subscription models I don’t think twice and even at times praise the idea. Even though when you think about it they can remove and add games at will without really needing to give as much notice as Sony did about the store closer.

I guess for myself and I’m sure a few others thanks to things like Netflix and Amazon prime we basic treat subscriptions as a way of life now.

Reactions: gorfias

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
That’s another thing I find interesting, while I am sorta cheesed about the online shop closings (mostly because even though I haven’t played the games for a while, since I paid for them I liked knowing I could play them) but when it comes to subscription models I don’t think twice and even at times praise the idea. Even though when you think about it they can remove and add games at will without really needing to give as much notice as Sony did about the store closer.

I guess for myself and I’m sure a few others thanks to things like Netflix and Amazon prime we basic treat subscriptions as a way of life now.
Companies have spent a lot of time, money and energy in developing ever more sophisticated and insidious methods of customer conversion, which is a fancy marketing buzzword way of saying 'convince us to let them shove their BS down our troats and that we should be grateful for the privilege'. The occassional stumble where they try taking too much in go aside, they're generally quite successfull at it.

Reactions: gorfias and Sora383

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
I think the very near future, that we're pretty much there now, the real "danger" to the gaming community will be a glut of content. If Sony don't do it, there are already emulators out there. Amazon advertises hand held and regular consoles that include thousands of games from systems as new as, I think, the Gamecube. I know there are enthusiasts that insist upon OG hardware. Like collecting old cars in mint condition, that will be a niche problem. By the time the Vita and my PS3s die, they'll likely have emulators for them too.

Not quite there yet but they'll get there...

I imagine private interests are already around ensuring these libraries will always exist somewhere.