Soon, You'll Play Xbox Games With Your iPhone

Terminate421

Jul 21, 2010
The amount of people who say this is copying is outright ridiculous.

It's not copying if its the next big step towards what we can get. It'd be pretty cool to turn on my xbox by hitting an app on my phone, then starting up a game of Halo while I go look for food, then come back and have the game ready (With my actual controller next to me)

Dendio

Mar 24, 2010
copy the wii remote with kinect and ps3 move check

Copy Wii u tablet controller check

WoW pokemon check

I remember nintendo commenting on other companies copying their ideas, no kidding here

O and of course super smash bros ps3 check

JasonKaotic

Mar 18, 2009
Mobile-quality sound, touchscreen controls meaning my fingers stop me seeing what I'm doing and constantly missing the button I mean to press, the ultimate drain of a phone's battery and having sunlight shining on the screen while you're trying to play on public transport?
I'll pass.

gritch

Tastes like Science!
Feb 21, 2011
I don't understand why so many people are having such hatred towards this. It's not going to replace your controllers. I highly doubt any developer is going to forced their consumers to buy a tablet or such just to play their xbox game.

Terminate421 said:
It's not copying if its the next big step towards what we can get. It'd be pretty cool to turn on my xbox by hitting an app on my phone, then starting up a game of Halo while I go look for food, then come back and have the game ready (With my actual controller next to me)
I picture it working sort of like this guy's described, basically you can use your phone or tablet as a remote for your xbox not an actual controller.

At worse this sounds like a cheap gimmick I'll never end up using. At best it helps increase people's accessibility. I see no harm in it.

RatRace123

Elite Member
Dec 1, 2009
So, this doesn't let you play games on whatever you happen to have in front of you, just with whatever you have in front of you?
Yeah, I get the feeling that this sounded better on paper, but it just seems kinda pointless to me.

There is never going to be a situation where I turn on my Xbox but won't have my controller nearby.

Arnoxthe1

Elite Member
Dec 25, 2010
Deviate said:
"Soon, you'll play Xbox games with your iPhone". No, I sure as fuck won't be. While the very concept in question is on par with the Kinect and other similarly crap control schemes in retardation, it'll also be because I will never own an iPhone.

When will these article authors pull their heads out of Apple's ass and stop defaulting to 'iPhone' every time they talk about phones with slightly more functions than a carrier pigeon? Do they get paid for the product placement? Do they gain some sort of hipster pleasure at namedropping those overpriced and outdated pieces of crap at every turn?

Bloody hell...
Seriously, this. I couldn't agree more. It's so refreshing to see that most everyone here has the above opinion. Now, if they made it completely optional, then sure, I wouldn't mind at all.

Also, obligatory 'forced motion controls suck'.

vxicepickxv

Slayer of Bothan Spies
Sep 28, 2008
This is Microsoft proactively fighting copyright trolls, again. They don't actually plan on doing anything with it.

Right now Microsoft owns the copyright for using graphics cards to produce visual effects on monitor type devices.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
OH MY GOD! A completely optional way to play your games with other devices that you may already have.

THIS IS THE WORST NEWS I'VE EVER HEARD IN MY LIFE!

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
vxicepickxv said:
This is Microsoft proactively fighting copyright trolls, again. They don't actually plan on doing anything with it.

Right now Microsoft owns the copyright for using graphics cards to produce visual effects on monitor type devices.
These are not copyrights. Just an FYI.

loa

Jan 28, 2012
Terminate421 said:
You literally have to press 1 button on the controller to remote start up the console and it will only play the game whose disk is in the tray (by pressing the "A" button if the console booted up) unless it's a downloaded one so what's the point of this?
It already is easy as hell to start the thing up without touching it, why do you think we need a phone for it?
Starting it up from work? An xbox 360 only takes ~8 seconds to boot.

surg3n

May 16, 2011
Wow, Microsoft just dropped even further down in my estimations.

This is not a new idea, it's been possible to use an iPhone as a controller for PC/Mac for ages. There's already an app to use an iphone/ipod as a keypad and touch pad. The thing is, Microsoft were the ones blocking this, with their precious wireless controller technology pushing peripheral prices up, and things like virtual controllers out of the realm of possibility. Every 360 controller manufacturer has to pay a fee to use their controller technology, that's why 360 peripherals cost more than on other consoles. That's why my PS3 has a kick-ass steering wheel, mouse and nunchuck controller, and a fricken skateboard controller, while my 360 has nout.

But ohh, genius Microsoft patent the idea as if it's their own, so they can impliment it themselves. It's not even innovation, it's a mindless app idea that adds absolutely nothing. The touch screen isn't being used for anything but virtual controls, non-tactile shitty controls in other words. Why don't they send a video feed, make it possible to use the 360 in realtime - just like what is already possible with PC's.

I thought M$ were done with this sort of bullshit - they have basically stolen the whole idea from indi developers. I was doing this on my NDS about 6 years ago, better, with more features (playing BF2142 actually), for M$ to apply for a patent is a fucking joke.

everythingbeeps

Sep 30, 2011
I HATE this shit. HATE IT.

Who wants this gimmicky bullshit? How is this making video games better? All it's doing is giving MS another way to pander.

We don't need our goddamn iphones to do EVERYTHING. I don't even have one, and the more people turn them into these sort of all-purpose gadgets, the more resistant I become to ever getting one. Honestly, that's the reason I don't have one: because I see how everyone else has turned the thing into the Center of Their Universe and I shudder to imagine being that tied to a gadget.

You can tell I'm older because I keep saying "gadget".

Captcha: "have fun"

Ukomba

Oct 14, 2010
OUCH! My hands are cramping just looking at this thing. Have fun with your carpel tunnel.

Truly-A-Lie

Nov 14, 2009
I played Crash Bandicoot on a Sony tablet recently and by played I mean I jumped into the very first pit and had difficulty landing on top of a crate because touch controls make it so much harder to do the smallest things. Unless it's a game like Infinity Blade, built for touch controls, I just refuse to play anything on a touch screen.

theSteamSupported

Mar 4, 2012
Zachary Amaranth said:
OH MY GOD! A completely optional way to play your games with other devices that you may already have.

THIS IS THE WORST NEWS I'VE EVER HEARD IN MY LIFE!
More truth has never been said.

Chill, guys. It's going to be an optional decision to use your smart phone as controller. Do you have any idea how retrograde you sound when you dislike the idea of all-purpose gadgets.

Besides, touch screens will soon enough be geared tactile feedback, giving the user the illusion of pressing a button. And once nano technology really comes along, <url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pwtMrwjFxns>oh my...

The future is coming, my friends, you just have to deal with it.

Terminate421

Jul 21, 2010
loa said:
Terminate421 said:
You literally have to press 1 button on the controller to remote start up the console and it will only play the game whose disk is in the tray (by pressing the "A" button if the console booted up) unless it's a downloaded one so what's the point of this?
It already is easy as hell to start the thing up without touching it, why do you think we need a phone for it?
Starting it up from work? An xbox 360 only takes ~8 seconds to boot.
My set up is a bit different. It turns on and sits at the xbox menu until I hit that I want to play the game in the xbox itself.

The point of my post was to say "What the fuck is wrong with you people? This isn't a bad thing at all!"

-|-

Aug 28, 2010
Everyone seems to have missed the bit about it not being just for games. Having a remote control app for a console while it's being used as a media centre seems like a good idea to me.

Rack

Jan 18, 2008
If I could chain songs on Rock Band on my iPhone that would be an awesome addition. There are certain types of strategy games that work way better with a touch screen and it could have some real additional benefits to lots of games in terms of inventory management. I'm sure an inventive dev could do a lot more with this level of increased fidelity.

Or should I join the crowd and yell about kids on my lawn?