Sooo..... Comic books. Anyone else think most of them are kinda teribble?

campofapproval

Jan 25, 2011
y1fella said:
Wait!!!!!! Don't flame just yet! Let me say my opinion first.
I don't hate the medium of comic books. I like the format of comic books just not the content. I like plenty of comic books. Scott pilgrim, Watchmen and that halo graphic novel was cool (elites are awesome). But the majority of comics are about super heroes which in and of it self isn't a bad thing. But the story's they get up to and the things they do is just this jumbled mess of barely related events that they just string together with barely relevant time travel and inter dimensional sub plots. Dc is particularly guilty of this.
I don't hate comic but I rarely find any that I like. Does anyone share a similar opinion? Could someone recommend me a series?
i thought so before i ever bothered reading them, kind of like punk elitists who say "oh well refused was the only good punk band" when they really just ripped off snapcase and well that's going on a tangent a bit there so i'll reel it back in.
decent series still running: chew, fables, unwritten, irredeemable, incorruptible, unknown soldier, walking dead, proof, jack of fables, zatanna, dmz.
decent series that have ended: sandman, 100 bullets, tank girl, gotham central, swamp thing, hellblazer, preacher, y: the last man, loveless, not to forget about all the great limited-run series like death: the high cost of living, kingdom come, batman vs predator etc.

Vault Citizen

May 8, 2008
y1fella said:
Jonny49 said:
I do see your point, then again with characters lasting for over 50 years, your probably going to end up with several stinkers now and then.
Batman's a cool character right? But does he really need a sub plot that turns him into a pirate and caveman?
Why don't they just end some of the older series and intorduce some new charachter?
Considering how the subplot was an important part of a story that Grant Morrisson crafted over a span of several years I would say it was neccessary.

ComicsAreWeird

Oct 14, 2010
xdom125x said:
I am a little confused on this but aren't the elseworld comics still in the DC multiverse continuity? If they weren't in there then how would lets say, Crisis on Infinite Earths(which served to eliminate other worlds) make any sense? Also the Ultimate Marvel stuff and the like were created because the comic continuity was way too complicated for anybody to just pick one up without tons of research to completely understand what's going on. Sorry, but I see it as a strike against the books if it takes a ton of research to understand them or if the people behind the books have to go "woah, this is so complicated that we should create alternate universes in our books for new people". I didn't want to say that the complexity makes them terrible but it gets difficult to consider the individual works good with all that extra research attached.
The Ultimates Marvel line was intended to offer a more streamlined version of the Marvel Universe. It is a way to bring in new readers (since they dont need to research and understand years of characters history)and still keep old fans happy with the standard titles, since many enjoy the continuity. No extra research necessary. Everyone´s happy.

As for the multiverse continuity...yes, they are interconnected with the whole Crisis on the Infinite Earths, but you can easily read a book like Superman:Earth One on its own. It´s like an Ultimate Superman. Seriously, give it a try. No extra research necessary.

There are books that require a huge understanding of the characters´ history, but these companies also offer alternatives. And, like i said...people who want to avoid continuity have also many other characters whose adventures do not require such commitment. I´ve already referred to a lot of titles from various companies as examples. I also just want to clear up one thing. Superhero comics =/= the comics medium. These misconceptions totally ignore european comics, manga and such classics like Calvin and Hobbes. The sheer diversity in the medium brings down the "most of the comics are kinda terrible" theory.

Togs

Dec 8, 2010
Whilst I love comic books I actually have only read very few- the actual stories dont interest me for the msot part what I do like is the mythology of comics, and how they are what old folk tales and legends have evolved into

tzimize

Mar 1, 2010
y1fella said:
Wait!!!!!! Don't flame just yet! Let me say my opinion first.
I don't hate the medium of comic books. I like the format of comic books just not the content. I like plenty of comic books. Scott pilgrim, Watchmen and that halo graphic novel was cool (elites are awesome). But the majority of comics are about super heroes which in and of it self isn't a bad thing. But the story's they get up to and the things they do is just this jumbled mess of barely related events that they just string together with barely relevant time travel and inter dimensional sub plots. Dc is particularly guilty of this.
I don't hate comic but I rarely find any that I like. Does anyone share a similar opinion? Could someone recommend me a series?
This is why more series should be like Rising Stars, or babylon 5 (even if thats a TV series). And on that note, read Rising stars. The story is planned out from the start and has a beginning and an end. As stories SHOULD.

Other comics to read:

Elfquest (my personal favorite comic, and afaik available for free online on their homepage, gogogo!!!)
Berserk - Manga
Selected Batman stories (Hush comes to mind, also the Killing Joke)
Rising Stars (in case you didnt get it the first time :p )
Spawn (even though its a series that should have been over for some time imo...)
Y - The last man
Sandman
Bone (this one is quite fantastic)

There are more, you just have to know where to look :)

GiantRaven

Dec 5, 2010
Carlston said:
Characters so over 80 years old, and stories written for 9-1 years olds.

You were expecting???

Best you can do is get the graphic novels that make them a bit more adult oriented and with stories not censored for the kiddies.
For reals? Comic books aimed for younger readers don't sell. At all. The current comic book climate is aimed towards readers who are probably just a little bit older than me (I'm 22), seeing as this is the age of an average comic book fan.

And there are a load of books right now (for example, Blackest Night, one of the biggest selling comics of last year) that focus hard towards the grim, gritty and gory. Hardly censored for 'the kiddies'. Could you give any recent examples of the happening?

ComicsAreWeird

Oct 14, 2010
tzimize said:
This is why more series should be like Rising Stars, or babylon 5 (even if thats a TV series). And on that note, read Rising stars. The story is planned out from the start and has a beginning and an end. As stories SHOULD.
Hey, good to see some love for Rising Stars, one of my favourite comics. I second this opinion and i fully recommend the comic. Have you read Midnight Nation? It´s also from J. Michael Straczynski and i think it´s as good as Rising Stars :)

Lono Shrugged

May 7, 2009
It depends totally on your personal taste. I like crime stuff and intrigue so 100 bullets, criminal and Punisher max are all good.

For tights and fights you have Batman (loads of good suggestions) Avengers, Justice League (Identity crisis being top of most lists) And Spider-man (straczynski's initial run being the best as he kinda re-sets the continuity, a lot of fans disagree on the direction it goes but the plots and writing are great fun) The Boys, Powers, Umbrella academy and Invicibles all being a bit more adult.

on the far end I have introduced comics like Maus, Walking Dead, Iron Man (Extremis) We3, Persepolis and Watchmen to old ladies and non comic people, and they loved it.

You just need to look and ask around it's like going into a bookshop and buying ten random books, you need a little research. There is literally a comic for ANYONE

If all you want is a good story most posts in this thread are on the money. Preacher/ Transmetropolitan and Sandman are some of the best stories ever told in any medium. (Among about 20 other suggestions)

SeniorDingDong

Jan 8, 2008
As a kid, comics only seemed as a boring "spin off media" for the cartoon-tv series. Besides living in Germany - that gives you a fair and equal trade for american, manga and european mainstream & "arty" comics - I never got into it.

Seeing reviews now, comics seem VERY weired or collapsing under their canon.

campofapproval

Jan 25, 2011
OniaPL said:
I am going to say this just once:
Read The Walking Dead.
honestly for the average joe not-comics-fan i'd say something like y, sandman, criminal, fables over the walking dead, depending on his/her tastes. the walking dead is deep but the dialogue's a bit wonky, some of the characters a bit shrill, the zombie thing's super-saturated in the media right now. something like a mature take on fairy tales living in new york city is an interesting premise not used in other media and it's not so oppressively dark from the get-go like twd tends to be.

Lono Shrugged

May 7, 2009
campofapproval said:
OniaPL said:
Read The Walking Dead.
honestly for the average joe not-comics-fan i'd say something like y, sandman, criminal, fables over the walking dead, depending on his/her tastes. the walking dead is deep but the dialogue's a bit wonky, some of the characters a bit shrill, the zombie thing's super-saturated in the media right now. something like a mature take on fairy tales living in new york city is an interesting premise not used in other media and it's not so oppressively dark from the get-go like twd tends to be.

I agree totally. Walking dead is one of the ones that got me back into comics. But it is incredibly bleak and even hardcore fans admit that it hits several brick walls. It really is a soap opera quality human drama and most people don't expect that going in. I am also slightly annoyed at the fact that over christmas I could barely move around my local store because of the 5 or so people all reading issue 1 in the shop because of the (awesome) t.v. show. I think walking dead is a great series but it is not at all THE definitive comic.

Preacher is!

campofapproval

Jan 25, 2011
GiantRaven said:
Carlston said:
Characters so over 80 years old, and stories written for 9-1 years olds.

You were expecting???

Best you can do is get the graphic novels that make them a bit more adult oriented and with stories not censored for the kiddies.
For reals? Comic books aimed for younger readers don't sell. At all. The current comic book climate is aimed towards readers who are probably just a little bit older than me (I'm 22), seeing as this is the age of an average comic book fan.

And there are a load of books right now (for example, Blackest Night, one of the biggest selling comics of last year) that focus hard towards the grim, gritty and gory. Hardly censored for 'the kiddies'. Could you give any recent examples of the happening?
i don't think carlston even understands the terminology he's using very well. there are plenty of adult-oriented themes going in comics released monthly by vertigo, icon, image, idw etc. not to mention the main continuity comics that may not read like an episode of deadwood but still have some edge. honestly if i had kids i don't know how i'd feel about them reading something like blackest night/brightest day or even the last so many years of marvel crossover storylines. besides say stephanie brown batgirl so many things is dark, dark, dark.

Red Right Hand

Squatter
Feb 23, 2009
I think it's because you're looking for comics, which are more child-orientated. Graphic Novels, on the other hand, are more aimed at the adult audience. So, you should look more along the lines of Watchmen. Try and get some of Alan Moore's stuff like V for Vendetta, Prometheus, Swamp Thing and the like. You could also try some of the Batman Graphic Novels like Batman: Return of the Dark Knight, Batman: The Killing Joke and Batman: Year One. Those are my personal favourites. Though, Killing Joke and Year One are quite short, they are still fantastic reads.

tzimize

Mar 1, 2010
marcogodinho said:
tzimize said:
Hey, good to see some love for Rising Stars, one of my favourite comics. I second this opinion and i fully recommend the comic. Have you read Midnight Nation? It´s also from J. Michael Straczynski and i think it´s as good as Rising Stars :)
Ah, no I havent. But thanks for the tip! Having just finished Buffy Season 8 I needed something new to put on my to-read list. Seeing as Berserk is as slow as...the slowest metaphor in the universe to be released.

campofapproval

Jan 25, 2011
Lono Shrugged said:
campofapproval said:
OniaPL said:
Read The Walking Dead.

I agree totally. Walking dead is one of the ones that got me back into comics. But it is incredibly bleak and even hardcore fans admit that it hits several brick walls. It really is a soap opera quality human drama and most people don't expect that going in. I am also slightly annoyed at the fact that over christmas I could barely move around my local store because of the 5 or so people all reading issue 1 in the shop because of the (awesome) t.v. show. I think walking dead is a great series but it is not at all THE definitive comic.

Preacher is!
hellblazer and especially sandman would give preacher a run for its money in that regard. i would say it's funny that brits have written so many important comic series and storylines in recent history but they gotta have something in which they excel, considering, you know.

ReservoirAngel

Nov 6, 2010
Well they've had to keep stories going for decades on end, plus they have millions of characters. I admit it does heavily dip into stupidity, but when you have characters like Superman, you can't really keep it logical and restrained.

Personally I never liked the 'camp' comic stories. You know, all guys in tights fighting evil. It's just not my style. I prefer the darker, more "edgy" 'graphic novels'. Watchmen is one of my favourites. Along with V for Vendetta, a comic I love more than most traditional books.