SOPA question?

aba1

Mar 18, 2010
Ok so if that bill in the US were to go through couldn't all these sites that would be shut down simply just start hosting there sites in another country(it's not like there aren't tones of great providers outside the states)? Based on this, so far as I can tell nothing would change on the net even if the bill passed just the states would lose that much more popularity and money

tippy2k2

Beloved Tyrant
Legacy
Mar 15, 2008
http://www.theatlantic.com/technology/archive/2011/11/dangerous-bill-would-threaten-legitimate-websites/248619/

From the article: "Internet Service Providers would have to prevent access to the site, including not resolving requests for the site's domain name (akin to calling directory assistance for a phone number and getting a false response)."

Basically, Comcast (or your ISP) would be required to block access to sites infringing on SOPA. I don't think it specifically mentions it for sure but I'm guessing the ISP would have to block it whether it is a US-run site or a China-run site.

DC_Josh

Harmonica God
Oct 9, 2008
So would this be akin to what China have now with the Great Firewall of China?

TheBelgianGuy

Aug 29, 2010
Sorry, what? In what universe does US laws give US companies control over international property?
Don't understand why nobody here in Europe seems to be alarmed or even aware of this, if it's true.

Edit:
EUropean Parliament has this to say:

European Parliament resolution on the EU-US Summit of 28 November 2011

Freedom and security

25. Stresses the need to protect the integrity of the global internet and freedom of communication by refraining from unilateral measures to revoke IP addresses or domain names;

DC_Josh

Harmonica God
Oct 9, 2008
Kalezian said:
DC_Josh said:
So would this be akin to what China have now with the Great Firewall of China?
Kind of.

ISP's would have to block sites that infringe on the SOPA.

At the same time, say for this site for example, someone could say that "Escape to the Movies" infringes on their copyright of their movie even though its used under the "Fair Use" clause.

Now, whether or not The Escapist in total would be blocked or if just Escape to the Movies [or any other show here that uses material "Fairly". Essentially, anyone who has a copyright on anything would be able to directly go hand have a website shutdown/blocked without having to go through court.

Dont get me started on deep packet scanning either, but in short, if SOPA passes into law, say goodbye to the internet as we know it.
Many thanks for your response. I admit to have had read the various websites and anti SOPA articles on the web but, thanks to my fairly dreadful net-fu, i'm still now quite sure how they can stop Joe American from seeing a website at all without some sort of national firewall. If its by an individual site basis surely it would take too much time to be practical?