SOPA Storms Back

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
RedEyesBlackGamer said:
Oh no, you forgot the fun part: watching a judge try to compare a law concerning the internet to a 200-year-old document to see if it fits the founders' intentions and if it is "constitutional".
The Founding Fathers obviously viewed piracy as theft. Despite the fact that many of them were themselves pirates.

(Yes, I know I'm mixing versions of piracy here, but it's done for effect, not out of ignorance)

TheDooD

Dec 23, 2010
We pirate their shit, they pirate our shit and we all get along. Right?

Oh shit I forgot about money well since it's not real lets just give everybody high numbers that'll work just like money.

Wait rich people won't like that? Aww fucking hell back to square one...

Digitaldreamer7

Sep 30, 2008
I shall sing you the song of my people

Seriously, it makes me feel bad about being american. When I visit the UK i'm going to wear a sign that says "I'm not your typical asshole American."

Exile714

Feb 11, 2009
I wish I could properly explain how the US Congress works to The Escapist community. How many of you actually know what markup is? I can tell you that markup is NOT where proponents of this bill want it to go. I can tell you that its chances of revival in this congressional term are slim and that this is a huge setback.

But you won't believe me.

Because the internet is for OMG!, not intelligent conversation.

As someone who works in legislative law, SOPA and PIPA (by proxy) are dead. Of course, anything can rear its head again, but for now it is over. Good job. You people made my work SOOOOOOOOO much easier.

Thanks.

praetor_alpha

LOL, Canada!
Mar 4, 2010
Micalas said:
SirBryghtside said:
I'm either deeply miunderstanding something or he's making no sense.

'Foreign thieves'? I thought SOPA only affected US citizens... and even if I'm wrong, it's still offensive.
Look at our foreign policy. We're all about physically stomping on soverignty so why not do it in a less visible way online?
It doesn't even matter whose sovereignty we stomp on. Look at our domestic policy.

America needs to do some nation building alright. On America.

The Random One

May 29, 2008
The Cool Kid said:
Hardcore_gamer said:
What jobs is he talking about? Won't SOPA destory all kinds of jobs like some of the ones people on the escapist have?
Nope it won't destroy anything that isn't infringing on copyright. The Bill is so tightly worded that it really can only be used against torrent sites, tv show links and so on. Forums, youtube and so on will be safe; people just want you to believe they aren't and hope you haven't read the bill for yourself.
Nope. Any site that allows people to post freely can be accused under SOPA, as long as someone in there posts anything. Under DMCA people hosting that content have to act to remove it as soon as they are notified of such; under SOPA they are commiting a felony if they fail to police the site to stop it from happening, which is unfeasible on sites that have millions of users like Facebook and YouTube.

And the main danger is that a claimant doesn't need to bring up any proof that the infringing content is indeed damaging their sales; an overzealous music executive could shut down the Escapist over the intro and outro songs of the earlier Zero Punctiation episodes, and it's more likely than not that they eventually will, due to how copyright laws in the US work.

The only result of this bill will be a massive exodus of any technology-based company from the Us to escape from it, and as that's pretty much the only sector of the US economy that's still growing that will pretty much throw the country under the bus. Especially now that there's already a different crisis going on with the US as one of its lynchpins.

LGC Pominator

Feb 11, 2009
EvilChameleon said:
Good lord, time to move to England.
Feel free, just be sure to check the accent in at the gate, otherwise our crazies will treat you like Joe Arpaio treats mexicans

Apparently English people have a problem with America... can't imagine why

OT:

FUUUUUUU

I seriously thought that this was over and done with, what is it with American politics where they insist on things that set them back years at a time?

Thyunda

May 4, 2009
EvilChameleon said:
Good luck with that - US law now extends to our sovereign shores. Check the poor 'criminal' student.

C F

Jan 10, 2012
*sigh*

Well, I didn't expect the shelf time to be this short. Way to be schizo, Congress.
I do believe Lincoln said something about "a house divided..."

At any rate, I knew SOPA was far from over. I didn't partake in any "the bill's dead, w00t!" celebrations yesterday. But I'm certainly looking forward to the day I can. In the meantime, just don't let it out of your sight.

Yowsa

May 26, 2009
SOPA "protected American jobs" they say. Is Google not an American company. Is FaceBook not an American company. how many time have you posted some type of copyrighted content or link to copyrighted content to a forum or FaceBook

Sixcess

Feb 27, 2010
Andy Chalk said:
foreign thieves who steal America's intellectual property
America! Fuck YEAH!

That's some wildly inflammatory rhetoric. I'd hope this guy is some part of the lunatic fringe... right? Right?

Spud of Doom

Feb 24, 2011
Ugh, so not impressed by this. In saying that, though, this guy is undeniably a biased source. It may be further gone than he is suggesting.

LGC Pominator

Feb 11, 2009
Exile714 said:
I wish I could properly explain how the US Congress works to The Escapist community. How many of you actually know what markup is? I can tell you that markup is NOT where proponents of this bill want it to go. I can tell you that its chances of revival in this congressional term are slim and that this is a huge setback.

But you won't believe me.

Because the internet is for OMG!, not intelligent conversation.

As someone who works in legislative law, SOPA and PIPA (by proxy) are dead. Of course, anything can rear its head again, but for now it is over. Good job. You people made my work SOOOOOOOOO much easier.

Thanks.
If that is the case then thanks for bringing it to our attention, this is good news!

The confidence of the guy who is responsible for the bill is a little offputting, so I would like to get a better understanding of this before I ask pinkie pie to roll out the party cannon.

BehattedWanderer

Fell off the Alligator.
Jun 24, 2009
Andy Chalk said:
... to send a bipartisan bill to the White House that saves American jobs and protects intellectual property."
I'll be laughing at how stupid this is until they realize their folly. Let's save American jobs by shutting down one of the largest sectors of the workforce!

It's like saving hungry people by prohibiting sandwiches. Well done, numbnuts.

Sixcess said:
Andy Chalk said:
foreign thieves who steal America's intellectual property
America! Fuck YEAH!

That's some wildly inflammatory rhetoric. I'd hope this guy is some part of the lunatic fringe... right? Right?
The republican party, so yeah, more or less at this point.

Richardplex

Jun 22, 2011
Lopsided Weener said:
EvilChameleon said:
Don't move here, you'll just get extradited back by our idiot government.
You know, This could be the worst time and worst place to complain about the idiocy of our government, considering why the escapee is leaving.