Sorry sir, but I can't take you seriously.

Daffy F

Apr 17, 2009
Supertegwyn said:
the spud said:
Furbyz said:
Mr. Snippers.
Ok, here we go.
Marco Polo probably didn't explore China. We at the very least know that most of his stories aren't true (for example, he claimed that he ruled an entire city state for about 2 years, but there are absolutely no records of him in the entire city). He may have never even been to China, as there are several things you really think a person who has been to China would have seen (such as the great wall).
Except the Great Wall wasn't actually completed till hundreds of years after Polo's death.
'Completed'. Considering constructionn on it started in 500BC or so... I'd have said a rathe sizeable amount of it would have been there.

Supertegwyn

Oct 7, 2010
Daffy F said:
Supertegwyn said:
the spud said:
Furbyz said:
Mr. Snippers.
Ok, here we go.
Marco Polo probably didn't explore China. We at the very least know that most of his stories aren't true (for example, he claimed that he ruled an entire city state for about 2 years, but there are absolutely no records of him in the entire city). He may have never even been to China, as there are several things you really think a person who has been to China would have seen (such as the great wall).
Except the Great Wall wasn't actually completed till hundreds of years after Polo's death.
'Completed'. Considering constructionn on it started in 500BC or so... I'd have said a rathe sizeable amount of it would have been there.
Except the wall wasn't one continuous building. It was torn down, remade and destroyed several times before it was finally completed in around the 14th century. And while there is scant evidence that Marco Polo was Governor of Yangzhou, it is FAR more likely that he simple exaggerated his claims (being a young man) than that he never went to China in the first place. The evidence supporting his claims far out ways the evidence against him.

GrimTuesday

May 21, 2009
Jarimir said:
GrimTuesday said:
Well, he holds no power over me, but I can't take Robert de Nero seriously anymore, not after this...

There was a Biology teacher I had my sophomore year who, at the beginning of the evolution unit stated that we had to remember that this was all unproven and the bible was more likely to have answers as to how humans came into being. I called her an imbecile and left the class. Had she kept her religion out of the classroom, it would have been fine, but the second she said that, I stopped being able to take anything she said seriously[footnote]with the exception of things I already knew were facts or were in the course book[/footnote].
Funny... my respect for Mr De Niro increased by over 9000! after seeing this movie. A good actor should be able to play a tough guy and a dancing nancy equally well, but to be both AT THE SAME TIME is just amazing to me.
Its not that I don't respect him, I think he is a brilliant actor, its just that I can't help thinking about him dancing around with a dress and fan when I watch movies that he is in. Another example is Paul Giamatti, who I can't help but picture him dancing around in swimming trunks to Hungry Like the Wolf, due to seeing him do that in Big Fat Liar (haven't seen that movie since I was like, 12, that sort of thing sticks with you). A great actor, but like Mr. De Niro, when ever I see a movie he is in, I have trouble taking him seriously for the first part of the movie.

How dare your teacher mispronounce conifer, as a Washingtonian I am insulted by this slight against our forests and the trees which reside in them.

artanis_neravar

Apr 18, 2011
brandon237 said:
The title is relating to a teacher of mine, a science teacher. A new teacher who has not been the most knowledgeable science teacher I have ever had. During the first lesson he taught us, the lesson was on magnetism, he said that the cause of the auroras was "The magnetic field of the Earth bending the light[footnote]Yes, photons of light...[/footnote] towards the poles." For those who are not science students, think about the fact that it takes a black hole many times heavier than our sun to bend light like that. Couple this statement with his general level of confusion and number of self-contradictions and corrections, as well as his Arnold Schwarzenegger accent and I simply cannot take him seriously when he teaches.

Now to the point: Have any of you Escapees ever had a situation like this where, for some or other reason, you could no longer take some seriously? All the better if said person was a teacher / in a position of power over you.

Oh, and if anyone says they cannot take me seriously for the slight grammatical error in the title, I will kindly ask them to consume their own pancreas. It is there for effect damnit!
I had a science teacher take points off of a graph because I drew it going through 0,0. It was a density graph.....the teacher said that just because volume was 0 doesn't mean I could claim mass was 0.

artanis_neravar

Apr 18, 2011
Tallim said:
Trezu said:
Tallim said:
AstylahAthrys said:
My bio teacher last semester. He thought the world was flat, but it just appeared round because it was spinning so fast.

Needless to say I couldn't take him seriously ever again.
With the what now?! That's just...... I don't even know how to respond to that.
http://www.alaska.net/~clund/e_djublonskopf/Flatearthsociety.htm

Stupid people should just be killed off, Too many morons on this earth you can't tell the difference between there arse and a hole in the ground.

[that was in regards to my link]
Although was aware of the Flat Earth Society I've never actually read anything about the "proof" before. That was frankly hilarious.
"Once again, picture in your mind a round world. Now imagine that there are two people on this world, one at each pole. For the person at the top of the world, (the North Pole), gravity is pulling him down, towards the South Pole. But for the person at the South Pole, shouldn't gravity pull him down as well? What keeps our person at the South Pole from falling completely off the face of the "globe"?" ...what? I mean...and...but...how do you even...my head hurts

artanis_neravar

Apr 18, 2011
Jarimir said:
GrimTuesday said:
Jarimir said:
GrimTuesday said:
Well, he holds no power over me, but I can't take Robert de Nero seriously anymore, not after this...

Its not that I don't respect him, I think he is a brilliant actor, its just that I can't help thinking about him dancing around with a dress and fan when I watch movies that he is in. Another example is Paul Giamatti, who I can't help but picture him dancing around in swimming trunks to Hungry Like the Wolf, due to seeing him do that in Big Fat Liar (haven't seen that movie since I was like, 12, that sort of thing sticks with you). A great actor, but like Mr. De Niro, when ever I see a movie he is in, I have trouble taking him seriously for the first part of the movie.

How dare your teacher mispronounce conifer, as a Washingtonian I am insulted by this slight against our forests and the trees which reside in them.
Fair enough, I can see your point. I wasnt meaning to attack your opinion, just stating that it was possible to come to the exact opposite conclusion from watching the same scene.

As for-

I had a science teacher take points off of a graph because I drew it going through 0,0. It was a density graph.....the teacher said that just because volume was 0 doesn't mean I could claim mass was 0.
The definition of a black hole is something that has infinite density because it has a volume of 0 while having the mass equivilent of several of our suns. The event horizon of a black hole certainly can have a volume but the singularity at the presumed center of a black hole does not.
That's only because as you approach a black hole "volume" as we know it no longer applies, due to the fact that once you pass the event horizon the direction inwards becomes towards the future, and the volume of the black hole becomes it's surface area times the length of time the black hole exists. So it really does have volume, just not the traditional sense of the word. This was also a college chemistry class and in reference to non-"reality altering phenomena"

Supertegwyn

Oct 7, 2010
artanis_neravar said:
Tallim said:
Trezu said:
Tallim said:
AstylahAthrys said:
My bio teacher last semester. He thought the world was flat, but it just appeared round because it was spinning so fast.

Stupid people should just be killed off, Too many morons on this earth you can't tell the difference between there arse and a hole in the ground.

Although was aware of the Flat Earth Society I've never actually read anything about the "proof" before. That was frankly hilarious.
"Once again, picture in your mind a round world. Now imagine that there are two people on this world, one at each pole. For the person at the top of the world, (the North Pole), gravity is pulling him down, towards the South Pole. But for the person at the South Pole, shouldn't gravity pull him down as well? What keeps our person at the South Pole from falling completely off the face of the "globe"?" ...what? I mean...and...but...how do you even...my head hurts
Stupid meatbags.

artanis_neravar

Apr 18, 2011
Supertegwyn said:
artanis_neravar said:
Tallim said:
Trezu said:
Tallim said:
AstylahAthrys said:

Stupid meatbags.
Are you referring to them (the flat earth society) or me?

Vandy

Apr 18, 2011
Rawne1980 said:
My uncles wife.

She shops in ALDI (for those who don't know what ALDI is it's a cheaper supermarket than some of the big ones) and puts her shopping in Marks and Spencers bags so her neighbours think she has a bit of money.

Never been able to take her seriously but that made me laugh so much I swear I pee'd a little bit.
Wait, your aunt is Hyacinth Bucket?

Supertegwyn

Oct 7, 2010
artanis_neravar said:
Supertegwyn said:
artanis_neravar said:
Tallim said:
Trezu said:
Tallim said:
AstylahAthrys said:

Stupid meatbags.
The Flat Earth Society :p

artanis_neravar

Apr 18, 2011
Supertegwyn said:
artanis_neravar said:
Supertegwyn said:
artanis_neravar said:
Tallim said:
Trezu said:
Tallim said:
AstylahAthrys said:

Stupid meatbags.
Ok good....you never know who could be one of them

Supertegwyn

Oct 7, 2010
artanis_neravar said:
Supertegwyn said:
artanis_neravar said:
Supertegwyn said:
artanis_neravar said:
Tallim said:
Trezu said:
Tallim said:
AstylahAthrys said:

Stupid meatbags.
Ok good....you never know who could be one of them
They're everywhere.......

Brandon237

Mar 10, 2010
artanis_neravar said:
brandon237 said:
The title is relating to a teacher of mine, a science teacher. A new teacher who has not been the most knowledgeable science teacher I have ever had. During the first lesson he taught us, the lesson was on magnetism, he said that the cause of the auroras was "The magnetic field of the Earth bending the light[footnote]Yes, photons of light...[/footnote] towards the poles." For those who are not science students, think about the fact that it takes a black hole many times heavier than our sun to bend light like that. Couple this statement with his general level of confusion and number of self-contradictions and corrections, as well as his Arnold Schwarzenegger accent and I simply cannot take him seriously when he teaches.

Now to the point: Have any of you Escapees ever had a situation like this where, for some or other reason, you could no longer take some seriously? All the better if said person was a teacher / in a position of power over you.

Oh, and if anyone says they cannot take me seriously for the slight grammatical error in the title, I will kindly ask them to consume their own pancreas. It is there for effect damnit!
Science teacher?!
But... but... Singularity? So you had to somehow show it stopping at 0.0000000000000000000000001 cm[sup]3[/sup]?? What did he want? What... how... that man's brain is in need of repairs!

artanis_neravar

Apr 18, 2011
brandon237 said:
artanis_neravar said:
brandon237 said:

Science teacher?!
But... but... Singularity? So you had to somehow show it stopping at 0.0000000000000000000000001 cm[sup]3[/sup]?? What did he want? What... how... that man's brain is in need of repairs!
It was a she and that's when we started calling her Mrs. Professor Wurm (Her husband was a physics teacher that we all respected) instead of professor, because we felt she didn't deserve it.

retyopy

Aug 6, 2011
My mom once told me seven times to take out the thrash, even after I had repeatedly tod her I had already done it.