Source: Sony's "NGP Is a Developer's Dream"

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
hasnt sony been saying that about every system its made since the ps2? werent they pretty much wrong about all of them

Raithnor

Jul 26, 2009
I'm wondering what the battery life on the NGP will be like. It's neat that it can run at PS3 level quality, but it doesn't do any good if the battery life is 20 minutes per charge.

At least this version has two thumbsticks.

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
Why do sony insist on calling it the NGP? You can clearly see PlayStation written below the screen on that pic.

OT: So the PSP2 really is a handheld PS2, excellent 3rd party support from alot of big-name developers. Oh Monster Hunter Freedom 3G is going to be great on it.

Icedshot

Jul 13, 2009
gigastar said:
Why do sony insist on calling it the NGP? You can clearly see PlayStation written below the screen on that pic.

OT: So the PSP2 really is a handheld PS2, excellent 3rd party support from alot of big-name developers. Oh Monster Hunter Freedom 3G is going to be great on it.
It seems more like a handheld ps3, which seems pretty nice from my perspective..

Treblaine

Jul 25, 2008
Greg Tito said:
Sony gave a presentation to game developers in London yesterday and one anonymous attendee praised the PSP successor's hardware and dev tools.
Anonymous eh?

"Hello, my name is Mr - err- Snony, Mr Snony and I am a developer that lives far far away from Japan, yes, that'll do. Anyway, I say that Sony's new games platform is a developer's dream, totally unlike what the Playstation 3 was accused of being like."

______

Ah but joking aside, this is good news as I've only recently started enjoying PSP it's taken so long to get a decent software support, particularly for downloadable PS1 games in EU region.

Treblaine

Jul 25, 2008
teh_Canape said:
they aren't changing the console name, are they

/facepalm
believer258 said:
I, too, hate the name, but so far this machine sounds very, very good. I'll take a bad name as the only fault of a console anyday. I seriously doubt this will be the only fault, but this looks like Sony's making an effort to put out a really nice gadget worth buying.
Sony have said explicitly it's just a codename, the official name has not been released nor finalised.

PSP2 is a bit awkward, but clearly it is not NGP, that would just make it too hard to market to millions of people globaly. I suspect some combination of the "Playstation" brand name and then some new suffix that means the same thing as "portable" like "Playstation Mobile" or maybe more abstract.

Who knows, no one predicted the name of "Move" peripheral.

vxicepickxv

Slayer of Bothan Spies
Sep 28, 2008
Treblaine said:
teh_Canape said:

/facepalm
believer258 said:
I, too, hate the name, but so far this machine sounds very, very good. I'll take a bad name as the only fault of a console anyday. I seriously doubt this will be the only fault, but this looks like Sony's making an effort to put out a really nice gadget worth buying.
Sony have said explicitly it's just a codename, the official name has not been released nor finalised.

PSP2 is a bit awkward, but clearly it is not NGP, that would just make it too hard to market to millions of people globaly. I suspect some combination of the "Playstation" brand name and then some new suffix that means the same thing as "portable" like "Playstation Mobile" or maybe more abstract.

I think the worst thing they could call it would be the "Playstation Go".

Treblaine

Jul 25, 2008
vxicepickxv said:
Treblaine said:
teh_Canape said:

/facepalm
believer258 said:

I think the worst thing they could call it would be the "Playstation Go".
Problem with PSP-go wasn't the name, really it doesn't matter how "silly" something sounds.

I mean think about it "Play Station" Ohhh, it's a station for playing eh? Well that's silly, that doesn't sound like anything I want -

OMGWTFBBQ! I WANT IT NAO!!!

Same for "Xbox" that's pretty cheesy, gamecube, dreamcast, Nintendo DS (what does DS even stand for?)

The point is you can give it any awkward name but if it's a good product the name will get a good reputation. That's all names are, strings of syllables with associated meaning.

PSP-Go's problem is too little too late:
-no UMD support alienated current PSP owners from upgrading
-price was too high for new gamers
-PSN as sole source for games was not mature enough
-Platform had already been so undermined by custom firmware

Price I think was the biggest problem, mainly because PSP-3000 was objectively better in every way for far lower price though it was larger. People were just fed up with the PSP and Go's blunders made it the whipping boy of the industry.

If Sony wants to do well this time they have to do very well from the start and adapt FAR QUICKER!

I can't even begin to guess what the new PSP will be called, because I don't know what impression Sony wants to leave with their consumers.

teh_Canape

May 18, 2010
believer258 said:
yeah, I know

I mean, I am really looking forward to this little piece of awesomeness

it's just, "NGP" hits me with very big nostalgia waves =P

if that makes any sense, like, at all

Treblaine

Jul 25, 2008
believer258 said:
Treblaine said:
teh_Canape said:

/facepalm
believer258 said:

Playstation Mobile? PSM actually sounds like a really good name for a console. At least to me. Yeah, I'd be fine with seeing "PSM" on the bottom of it.
The only slight problem is around the world Sony's official Playstation Magazine has always been referred to as "PSM". But that's not too major.

Also in the UK "mobile" means the same thing as "Cell phone", so "playstation Mobile" would imply it had full phone functionality, when it may very well not. Thought the 3G compatibility is apparent, it seem that it is just for Data, like Kindle and iPad.

They could call it anything, the PSQ, the PSZ, whatever, if Nintendo can get away with selling a console that is a homophone for urine then Sony can't do much worse. It's not a PR disaster if people make fun of what your product is called, is a problem if they lambaste it for false promises.

Retosa

Jul 10, 2010
I don't know why people keep thinking NGP is going to be the name... NGP... I swear it stands for "New Gaming Platform" or "Next Gaming Platform", easy as hell codename to make up for people who are just being lazy, and want to confuse everyone... As for Nintendo DS, Nintendo Double Screen maybe? For the two screens. They know the names don't really matter all that much, so I swear they see what they can get away with.

Honestly, look at how much free advertising a system gets JUST for having a stupid name. "OMG NGP is such a stupid name!", but people talk about it. Hell, look at how much free press the Wii got, just for its name.

The worse the name, the more free advertisement. Even if they're making fun of the name, at least it's being talked about and on people's minds.

Dooly95

Jun 13, 2009
I always thought the DS stood for Dual Screen.

Anyway, I'm cautious about this. Admittedly, most of the games I liked on the PSP didn't come from Western developers, and I'm not expecting this to change any time soon with the NGP either.

It's nice though, to think that I could play any PS3 game on a handheld.