South Korea's "Shutdown Law" Takes Effect

boag

Sep 13, 2010
I see a lot of people concerned about this, but there are some major points for doing it.

1.- Gaming has affected the country to such an extent that the goverment had to intervene, since the majority of gaming SK doesn´t occur in the home but at online cafes.

2.- Gaming is not a right, no matter how much people view it as so, it is a privilege and a luxury. Making a law that prohibits gaming for a certain age groups isnt as different as a law that Prohibits alcohol use and smoking to minors.

Overall, it is an interesting idea, and if people really dislike it they will vote agaisnt it.

LilithSlave

Sep 1, 2011
I have mixes feelings on this.

For starters, it's far too authoritarian for me to be even remotely comfortable with.

At the same time, South Korea seems to have a dangerous video game addiction problem. And more specifically an online game addiction problem. People take it so seriously that even celebrities have killed themselves over online trolling/bullying which has, as I've heard, to the also authoritarian and draconian KSSN system. Meaning that Westerners are unable to play on Korean servers which is not fair at all.

Personally, I think that South Korea just needs less restrictive laws in general. I understand the problem, but losing freedoms just doesn't pay. They should not only do away with this, but also the KSSN requirement.

Darn it! Some of us Westerners want to play on Asian servers, you know!

Zeekar

Jun 1, 2009
I'm against excessive prohibition because it just winds up turning innocent people into law-breakers rather than actually preventing anything, but I can definitely see the sense in this law.

It's a "law" the PARENTS should be enacting, though. It isn't the government's place to be a nanny.