South Park Parodies Let's Play and PewDiePie

Zacharious-khan

Mar 29, 2011
McKinsey said:
Zacharious-khan said:
This is an odd case of me disapproving of south park. Not for any hipstery reason just that i think the less people who know about pewdeepie the better
Why would you say that? Pewdie is a great bro, and though not all of his videos are interesting, some are entertaining as hell.
My only gripe with the episode is that they've inserted actual Pewd's footage into the show, instead of making a cartoon version of him. That's kinda weird, but I think they're building up to something.
Because I think Pewdeepie is a twat, that none of his videos are interesting, and that absolutely none of his videos approach a state wherein they could reasonably aspire to be entertaining.

Kenjitsuka

Sep 10, 2009
You seem to completely neglect to mention this appears to be part one of a big multipart storyline, a cliffhanger before the December pause?

It clearly ended with Cartman and Evil Corporation guy ready to start "Taking it to a *whole* new level"...
So that's where the pay off will be; MJ vs Tupac, Lorde stuff climaxing somehow and of course the main storyline...

Random Fella

Nov 17, 2010
VanQ said:
Anyone else think that South Park is building up to a GamerGate episode this season?

We've had an SJW episode.
A Free 2 Pay episode.
Now we have a Lets Play episode.
No, because most people outside of a small group on the internet don't give two shits about GamerGate
Whereas Lets Plays are very much common to anyone who has a computer \

ryan_cs

Aug 13, 2013
Zacharious-khan said:
McKinsey said:
Zacharious-khan said:
This is an odd case of me disapproving of south park. Not for any hipstery reason just that i think the less people who know about pewdeepie the better
Why would you say that? Pewdie is a great bro, and though not all of his videos are interesting, some are entertaining as hell.
My only gripe with the episode is that they've inserted actual Pewd's footage into the show, instead of making a cartoon version of him. That's kinda weird, but I think they're building up to something.
Because I think Pewdeepie is a twat, that none of his videos are interesting, and that absolutely none of his videos approach a state wherein they could reasonably aspire to be entertaining.
So, what's a twat? I get that it's not for you and that you find most of his content unfunny, (same here), but calling someone a twat just because of that seem to be... mean. So is the definition of twat diffrent than what I am thinking, or what?

Toblo1

Jun 1, 2014
Most of the people in this thread are talking about Pewdiepie's appearance the episode, and I'm just sitting here thinking "Damnit, no shots fired at DarkSydePhil....."

Uriel_Hayabusa

Apr 7, 2014
Probably the hardest I've laughed at anything from South Park, then again I don't really follow the show.

''Cartmaaaaan-braaaah!''

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Heh I thought Pewdiepie actually appear in their animation style than using one of his video.

As for the whole let play, I view it as its original form, watching someone playing a game from behind like I used to with my bro (we got one pc which is his) and these days I only watched the let plays on the games I don't own. Also heh, I thought the whole ideal of the living room was dead when everyone own more than one tv!

GrumbleGrump

Oct 14, 2014
VanQ said:
Anyone else think that South Park is building up to a GamerGate episode this season?

We've had an SJW episode.
A Free 2 Pay episode.
Now we have a Lets Play episode.
This possibility left me with half a smile and half a frown; it's really painful.

Tohuvabohu

Not entirely serious, maybe.
Mar 24, 2011
Trey Parker and Matt Stone should totally make a real Cartmanbrah youtube channel, and have him commentate over commentators. Fuck, that would be hilarious. The episode itself was pretty great. I like that they didn't really take the piss out of Pewdiepie as much as they do the people who copy what he does, although I do agree that the whole Lorde thing didn't mesh in too well.

It wasn't bad at all though. This season really does feel like Matt and Trey are trying something different with this overarching plot between episodes. I have no clue what they're building up to, but I can't wait to see it.

In the meantime. Matt and Trey? Pleeeaaaseeee make a Cartmanbrah youtube channel happen.

Zacharious-khan

Mar 29, 2011
ryan_cs said:
So, what's a twat? I get that it's not for you and that you find most of his content unfunny, (same here), but calling someone a twat just because of that seem to be... mean. So is the definition of twat diffrent than what I am thinking, or what?
The word twat is vulgar slang for the human vulva, but is more widely used as a derogatory epithet, especially in British English, referring to a person considered obnoxious or stupid.(Wikipedia)

kenu12345

Seeker of Ancient Knowledge
Aug 3, 2011
I came here for the usual yelling that encompasses an article even daring to mention Pewds and I left gladly surprised to find very little. Oh well, going to have to watch this episode later. Guess back to watchin Pewds for now though

BehattedWanderer

Fell off the Alligator.
Jun 24, 2009
The episode was interesting, but I feel like they're focusing too much on the ludicrous end of Let's Plays, and not the informative or comedic commentary/skill based LP. Usually they provide great examples of both ends of the reasons something is popular, but not so in this case. Though, with the odd way this season is being told linearly, maybe we'll see that yet.

gridsleep

Sep 27, 2008
I think the whole story "meshed up" quite well. Vicarious culture, death and decay of living spaces, the medium being the message, autonomous hologrammatic people. If Philip K. Dick weren't dead, I would seriously suspect that he had secretly written this episode. Or... is he?

gridsleep

Sep 27, 2008
Zacharious-khan said:
ryan_cs said:
The word twat is vulgar slang for the human vulva, but is more widely used as a derogatory epithet, especially in British English, referring to a person considered obnoxious or stupid.(Wikipedia)
Also related to the insult "dork" which from whaling days tradition means whale penis. Calling someone a dork is simultaneously calling them a dick and a huge useless piece of meat. Most people ignorantly think it just means stupid or naïve.

I might add that I find it puzzling how Western European derived culture is so obsessed with sex and yet so completely disgusted and revolted by their own pudenda to the point that most personal insults involve describing someone as genitalia. Japan has erect penis festivals celebrating fertility, although it's a wonder that these survive with the encroachment of Christianity onto the islands. Pretty Japanese girls have no business wearing crucifix necklaces and going to parochial school. That just should not be happening. Ever notice that Christianity spreads like a venereal disease from country to country? They hate sex and act like a disease that is spread by it. To them, I can only quote Captain Jean-Luc Picard. "I will not sacrifice the Enterprise. We've made too many compromises already; too many retreats. They invade our space and we fall back. They assimilate entire worlds and we fall back. Not again. The line must be drawn here! This far, no further! And *I* will make them pay for what they've done!"

Darth_Payn

Aug 5, 2009
An look what we're doing now. Commenting on an article commenting on a South Park episode that is commentary of how a lot of modern media is made of comments on-
Hmm. Comment of a comment of comment of a... Any one else now have a Nine Inch Nails Song in their heads now? I think we have the next big Weird Al parody song in the works here.

Lieju

Jan 4, 2009
Just how well-known 'let's plays' are amongst the general public?
Just wondering, because I think gamers have the tendency to forget the majority of people don't give a shit about games and even those who do aren't as deeply involved with the subculture.

Darth_Payn said:
An look what we're doing now. Commenting on an article commenting on a South Park episode that is commentary of how a lot of modern media is made of comments on-
If I may comment on your comment, I enjoyed your commentary on commentary of commentary.