South Park: The Fractured But Whole Delayed to Next Year

ima420r

Aug 14, 2008
After the first game and it's delays, I have no problem with the second being delayed. The first one was wicked awesome, and if it takes a delay to make the second one as hella cool then so be it.

immortalfrieza

Elite Member
Legacy
May 12, 2011
Country
USA
Bobular said:
Why do games give dates these days? They never stick to them and it just upsets fans when they get pushed back.
I don't know why they even ANNOUNCE a game exists years before they intend to release it, much less the release date. They shouldn't announce a game until at most 6 months before the actual intended release date, and the release date itself no more than 2 months before that date. Long enough to generate hype, but short enough the developers can give an accurate description of the game and have gotten through the vast majority if not all of any issues that could possibly crop up to delay the game further and thus can give an accurate release date. Also, if it ends up cancelled before then we didn't know it existed anyway so no loss to either us or the reputation of the company.

Of course, that would make sense, and the video game industry just hates doing anything that makes sense.

sXeth

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 15, 2012
immortalfrieza said:
Bobular said:
Why do games give dates these days? They never stick to them and it just upsets fans when they get pushed back.
I don't know why they even ANNOUNCE a game exists years before they intend to release it, much less the release date. They shouldn't announce a game until at most 6 months before the actual intended release date, and the release date itself no more than 2 months before that date. Long enough to generate hype, but short enough the developers can give an accurate description of the game and have gotten through the vast majority if not all of any issues that could possibly crop up to delay the game further and thus can give an accurate release date. Also, if it ends up cancelled before then we didn't know it existed anyway so no loss to either us or the reputation of the company.

Of course, that would make sense, and the video game industry just hates doing anything that makes sense.
Honestly, I'd like just for once, some dev to get up on stage at E3 or wherever. Show a game, then be like. "Demo's out now, release date is in (some time in the next 4 months)". Literally, not announcing the thing until its gone gold and final state. No years long hype, trailers for concept art, gameplay trailers featuring stuff that changes 293 times before release, etc. Just "Hey, we made this thing, its made now."

I honestly don't get the pre-order mentality that seems to drive the whole thing. Insofar as I know, they aren't actually getting the money from the pre-orders (unless you specifically order it on their own store-sites) until the games out anyways. Potentially losing some people who just get sick of waiting (Me with Starbound or Darkest Dungeon, for instance)

I do remember the last time it occurred (Entwined for PS4 was available the day after the Sony E3 conference a year or two ago), but it'd be nice to see it done with a game that had a bit more meat to it.

immortalfrieza

Elite Member
Legacy
May 12, 2011
Country
USA
Seth Carter said:
Honestly, I'd like just for once, some dev to get up on stage at E3 or wherever. Show a game, then be like. "Demo's out now, release date is in (some time in the next 4 months)". Literally, not announcing the thing until its gone gold and final state. No years long hype, trailers for concept art, gameplay trailers featuring stuff that changes 293 times before release, etc. Just "Hey, we made this thing, its made now."

I do remember the last time it occurred (Entwined for PS4 was available the day after the Sony E3 conference a year or two ago), but it'd be nice to see it done with a game that had a bit more meat to it.
I don't know if you know this or not, but Bethesda did exactly that with Fallout 4, I can't remember exactly when but they didn't even say it existed until a few short months before it's release. As a result hype shot up into the stratosphere and we had a game that was exactly as advertised releasing exactly when stated. It's one of those "great solely because it's so rare for it to be done right not because it was exceptional in itself" kind of things, though the presentation was great.

sXeth

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 15, 2012
immortalfrieza said:
Seth Carter said:

I don't know if you know this or not, but Bethesda did exactly that with Fallout 4, I can't remember exactly when but they didn't even say it existed until a few short months before it's release. As a result hype shot up into the stratosphere and we had a game that was exactly as advertised releasing exactly when stated. It's one of those "great solely because it's so rare for it to be done right not because it was exceptional in itself" kind of things, though the presentation was great.
I'd say their hand was kind of forced by leaks too. There was a big one in 2013, and another one in 2014.

Its one of the better examples granted. The usual BSing in the reveal with some of the graphics and animations being scripted (The whole settlement segment in the reveal shows NPC behaviors that never manages to coalesce in the game).

Its also not a stellar example though, as its really just minor touch-ups and a new map for a game they've already been on two outings with. Other then settlements, there's so little development or features being added that it'd be kind of crazy if they did have to take something out. Its kind of like Far Cry : Blood Dragon (which I think also just dropped out nowhere, on April Fools Day, no less) in that respect.

flying_whimsy

Dec 2, 2009
Well, the first game faced massive delays but turned out pretty good in the end (despite actually making me physically ill on more than one occasion). So long as it doesn't require uplay I'll be happy.